It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Squids Invade San Diego 7/16 - looked at History - correlation to Huge Quakes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I read about these giant Squids invading San Diego yesterday - I then researched events as these before and found a correlation of Very Large quakes occurring afterwards.

link to article: news.yahoo.com...

SAN DIEGO – Thousands of jumbo flying squid — aggressive 5-foot-long sea monsters with razor-sharp beaks and toothy tentacles — have invaded the shallow waters off San Diego, spooking scuba divers and washing up dead on tourist-packed beaches.

The carnivorous calamari, which can grow up to 100 pounds, came up from the depths last week and swarms of them roughed up unsuspecting divers. Some divers report tentacles enveloping their masks and yanking at their cameras and gear.

The so-called Humboldt squid are native to the deep waters off Mexico, where they have been known to attack humans and are nicknamed "red devils" for their rust-red coloring and mean streak. Those who dive with them there chum the water with bait and sometimes get in a metal cage or wear chain mail to avoid being lashed by tentacles.

But the next night, things were different: A large squid surprised Magill by hitting her from behind and grabbing at her with its arms, pulling her sideways in the water. The powerful creature ripped her buoyancy hose away from her chest and knocked away her light.

"They appear to be mentally deranged, not physically ill. It's clearly something abnormal," he said. "They're big-brained, intelligent creatures. It's not like they're attracted to the lights of the city or anything like that."

In 2005, a similar invasion off San Diego delighted fishermen and, in 2002, thousands of jumbo flying squid washed up on the beaches here. That year, workers removed 12 tons of dead and dying squid.

Knowing there was a similar invasion in 2005 I looked up what LARGE Earthquakes occurred afterwards.

Link to article about invasion in 2005: - this is from Feburary 2005

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Last month thousands of large squid mysteriously beached themselves on California shores.

It was not the first time such a mass "suicide" has occurred. Observers say it seems to happen every few years.

But what causes the Humboldt—or jumbo—squid (Dosidicus gigas) to end up on land?

"We don't know," said William Gilly, a biologist at Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station in Pacific Grove, California. "It's a mystery of large size what's killing these squid."

"We know so little about them because they spend 95 percent of their lives at depths well beyond those safely observed with scuba," Gilly said. "We don't know where they spawn, and their eggs have never been found in the wild."

Scientists believe the squid live at depths of 660 to 2,300 feet (200 to 700 meters) during the day. Their preferred depth at night is about 220 feet (70 meters).

So these giant squids which normally live in the Very deep ocean committed mass suicide.

Then in March 2005 this happened:

link to article: www.geocities.com...

massive earthquake off the coast of Indonesia had a magnitude 8.7 and had a chance of spawning a tsunami in Asia

WOW - in my searches - I just NOW found this article from the other day - from National Geographic - ALSO questioning LINK between squids and Big quakes!!!!

link to article: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Residents near a San Diego-area beach awoke to find dozens of jumbo squid, also called Humboldt squid, flapping helplessly on the shore Saturday—about an hour after an earthquake had struck off the California city at 7:34 a.m.

Of course in the article - scientist make fun of any connection - but I don't find that abnormal - because they refuse to look at whale beachings also being a possible precursor to Large quakes.

For one thing, scientists began finding beached squid at least three days before the Saturday earthquake, said squid expert William Gilly of Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station.

"So unless the squid were predicting the earthquake, I don't think there's any link," he added.

I have been looking up whale beachings in the last month, I have found it is not abnormal for beachings to happen on deserted islands throughout the Pacific and not be found until a long time afterwards.

So, having to go on only populated areas - where people would find whales etc, I have found a few whale events - but nothing on a mass scale at any populated areas.

There was a mass beaching at the end of May in South Africa

link: multimedia.thetimes.co.za...

link to 2 whales beaching at end of June

savethewhalesanddolphins.com...

There are more single events - but again mass events could have happened but have never been found due to all the thousands of islands uninhabited throughout the Pacific.

There was just a HUGE quake in Southern New Zealand -

To me there is a connection to Giant Squids committing suicide - coming up from the deep and whales beaching to HUGE Earthquakes happening afterwards.

If Giant Squids right now are invading San Diego 7/16/09 - happening After the latest Large Quake ......................

Is there about to be another VERY LARGE quake in the next few days in the Pacific?

I truly believe this is worth looking at - even if the quake is on the other side of the Pacific then where the suicides of Sea Animals happening - it makes sense to me for them to try and get as far away as possible.

I still don't understand why scientist Still make fun of the fact that Sea Animals "predicting" Huge Earthquakes. What is so "funny" about that? I believe those are the perfect precursors to Huge quakes - after all the ocean is their home and vibrations and noise travel through the ocean along with under sea earth movements.

One other thing to think about - for those who think that the sea animals thousands of miles away - why would they not be affected?

If you look at the live seismic servers here: aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

You will find after a large quake EVERY SINGLE seismic monitor is affected and reflects the P waves that travel around the world after the quake. So if EVERY seismic monitor is affected and shows the quake - doesn't that mean that the Earth movements are felt EVERYWHERE? So - wouldn't those animals that make their home in the depths of the ocean FEEL the movements BEFORE and Creeping up to the BIG Quake?

[edit on 17-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Great Post

They do say that animals tend to sense these sort of occurances and will, days before it happens, go wild/crazy and act strangely.

We will just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of days/weeks.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What is it with you and Earthquakes ?

Perhaps if you'd researched more you'd find that the squids migration is contributed to other factors

Although Humboldt Squid are generally found in the warm Pacific waters off of the Mexican coast, recent years have shown an increase in northern migration. The large 1997-98 El Niño event triggered the first sightings of Humboldt Squid in Monterey Bay.[2] Then, during the minor El Niño event of 2002, Humboldt Squid returned to Monterey Bay in higher numbers and have been seen there year-round since then. Similar trends have been shown off the coasts of Washington, Oregon, and even Alaska, although there are no year-round Humboldt Squid populations in these locations. It has been suggested that this change in migration is due to warming waters during El Niño events, but other factors, such as a decrease in upper trophic level predators that would compete with Humboldt Squid for food, could be impacting the migration shift as well.

The prediction was correct, and El' Nino did return in July 2009, in a stronger formation.

That took all of 1 minute through searching to find a correlation between humboldt migration further North and the El Nino.

I admire your passion for this but perhaps a little more effort into researching all factors instead of just focusing on the one which suits your agenda would be beneficial so you can come to a better conclusion

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
i made a thread about the same phenomenon a few days ago, except i didnt know there were so many in the shallow waters. I only heard about them beaching themselves in unprecedented numbers.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
F&S- very nicely done. I am sure there are other possibilities, but this is a nice concise thread to check back with.

Especially in light of the recent squid and octopus UFO posts! I know- I know- but it is a weird synchronicity.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Curious questioningall. I wonder if it has anything to do with ...

Magnitude 7.6 - OFF WEST COAST OF THE SOUTH ISLAND, N.Z.

www.iris.edu...
and this...
news.aol.com...|aimzones|dl1|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Ftremors-de tected-on-san-andreas-fault%2F564374
and this...

3.1 2009/07/13 21:14:22 33.928N 118.359W 15.9 1 km ( 1 mi) S of Lennox, CA

quake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Interesting enough - there are Sea Lions also coming ashore now in California

link to article:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Drivers on Interstate 880 in the San Francisco Bay area were startled to find a baby sea lion waddling on the motorway just before the morning rush hour — but the year-old pup is only one of hundreds rescued along the Californian coast this summer.

In the first six months of this year, 313 sea lions were reported stranded along the northern California coastline, from Mendocino to San Luis Obispo, compared with 485 for the whole of last year.

The Marine Mammal Centre in Sausalito, which covers 600 miles (965km) of coastline around San Francisco, is rescuing as many as 20 sea lions a day.

The above article - says it is due to the population and the amount of food available. That may be the case - but could it ALSO be due to sound waves in the water?

As far as others who say this is ridiculous - I put in the OP the fact that scientist "laugh" these type correlations off. They blame it on other things.

Because gosh forbid - the animals that LIVE in the ocean are actually affected by sound waves and movements of the Earth under the ocean. Jeez - that just sounds so silly - doesn't it?

So my belief is there IS a correlation of Sea Animals being precursors to Earth movement events - I do not laugh off the correlations.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Well presented.

Conclusive evidence linking earthquakes to certain behaviour in marine life is hard to come by.
There are, as mentioned by other posters, many reasons why marine life, in this case squid, could become disorientated ,deviate from their regular patterns or end up beached.

The following extract is from the Ocean Literacy Guide:

Although some sounds can be benign, certain noises can harm marine mammals by:
o Altering their natural behavior in ways that affect their feeding, breeding, or survival
o Interfering with hearing important sounds like the approach of a predator (masking)
o Causing hearing loss (temporary or permanent) or tissue damage
o Frightening and/or disorienting them, which could cause them to strand on a beach

Natural sounds come from:
o Waves
o Earthquakes
o Lightning – it strikes the ocean 25 million times each year
o Precipitation (rain and hail) and cracking sea ice
o Even marine life – shrimp, fish, whales

www.ammpa.org/_docs/OceanLiteracyGuide.doc

[edit on 17/7/09 by logicalview]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Maybe (a change in) geomagnetism has something to do with the beachings.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I would be getting away from that San Andreas Fault now. I'd be getting away from the entire Pacific coastline now, and any potentialy active volcanos.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
What is it with you and Earthquakes ?

Perhaps if you'd researched more you'd find that the squids migration is contributed to other factors

Although Humboldt Squid are generally found in the warm Pacific waters off of the Mexican coast, recent years have shown an increase in northern migration. The large 1997-98 El Niño event triggered the first sightings of Humboldt Squid in Monterey Bay.[2] Then, during the minor El Niño event of 2002, Humboldt Squid returned to Monterey Bay in higher numbers and have been seen there year-round since then. Similar trends have been shown off the coasts of Washington, Oregon, and even Alaska, although there are no year-round Humboldt Squid populations in these locations. It has been suggested that this change in migration is due to warming waters during El Niño events, but other factors, such as a decrease in upper trophic level predators that would compete with Humboldt Squid for food, could be impacting the migration shift as well.

The prediction was correct, and El' Nino did return in July 2009, in a stronger formation.

That took all of 1 minute through searching to find a correlation between humboldt migration further North and the El Nino.

I admire your passion for this but perhaps a little more effort into researching all factors instead of just focusing on the one which suits your agenda would be beneficial so you can come to a better conclusion

Questioningall has been studying earthquakes since before I've been on this board. She does earthquakes, others do timelines, et's and ufo's, and so on. Each person on this board has a "pet" interest. If earthquakes aren't yours, so be it. Yes, it is common for the squid to do this, but what is different this time is the numbers and the aggression as stated in the article she quoted.

It is common knowledge among many that animals will behave differently before earthquakes. I have seen it in my own animals. What QA is interested in is trying to figure out how to better forsee a coming disaster and as one who is interested in earthquakes and the changes in the earth, animals and weather before one occurs, I appreciate the work she puts into this.

Questioning: Since you mentioned the fact that this is happening after teh large EQ in NZ I wonder if the aggression is because of the earthquake and a disruption in the habitat, as opposed to the possibility they were just beaching themselves before a quake.

I also wonder about the shark that beached itself in NY the other day. They normally just die out at sea then wash up but this one beached itself first. Maybe just an odd occurence as there was only one and probably totally unrelated as it was in the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

what if the squid are upset with the pollution and over fishing?
maybe they are smarter than we think

perhaps this is their way of trying to tell us something is horribly wrong?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
So my belief is there IS a correlation of Sea Animals being precursors to Earth movement events - I do not laugh off the correlations.

IF resonance from quakes had an impact on Sea Life why is it only affecting your Squids & Sea Lions ? Do you not think it would affect a wider variety of species ?

Like I said I admire your passion in these things but I just don't think you're correct in your conclusion

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by opal13

I know, I read about the shark beaching itself - Big one too - 24 feet.

But I was not able to find other beachings in the area that would say something in the ocean caused the shark to want to get out of the water.

I do searches on beachings and what is occurring with the sea animal life, I looked at the shark beaching with curiosity - and because whales are ones who seem to beach themselves before quakes.

There is DEFINITELY a history of whale beachings BEFORE quakes happen - though scientist and others still refuse to look at them being precursors.

The shark - I am on the fence with - there were no other occurances to show something (earth movement) would be happening in the Atlantic area and again sharks do not seem to be natural precursors to quakes happening, by beaching themselves.

But it has been something, I have been keeping an eye on - because it is so unusual for a shark to beach.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

"
Because gosh forbid - the animals that LIVE in the ocean are actually affected by sound waves and movements of the Earth under the ocean. Jeez - that just sounds so silly - doesn't it?"
"So my belief is there IS a correlation of Sea Animals being precursors to Earth movement events - I do not laugh off the correlations."

My sentiments exactly!!!!! We know very little about our oceans.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
There is DEFINITELY a history of whale beachings BEFORE quakes happen - though scientist and others still refuse to look at them being precursors.

Can you provide evidence to this ?

And I'm sorry if I seem to be getting at you but after your web bot prediction thread last year I'm very skeptic of anything you have to say after trying to convince people a massive quake was coming, which never came

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

There is lots of beachings pre quakes - you can look it up yourself -

Nothing I will ever post - you will accept - so I will not bother trying to convince you - that is obvious in your postings in any of my "alternative" threads and you adding me as a "Foe".

The fact is - there ARE correlations - to bizarre sea animal events to Large quakes afterwards.

I also question it all in my OP - so people can make up their own minds - I have made up my mind that events correlate and that is what I state. It is my opinion - but I let others make up their OWN opinion by providing what evidence I can.

Look at the Tasmania beachings in March - then you will also find an unusual Earthquake happened about a week later in Australia - on the southern part of Australia.

I am not going to try and defend my own beliefs - because everyone has their own personal ones, I can only lay out - why my beliefs are what they are and question if another Large quake will be happening in the near future due to sea animal events happening right now - that show in history - large quake events happened after similar events in history.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The problem is your own articles refute your claim that we could use sea animals as a pre warning for quakes

Residents near a San Diego-area beach awoke to find dozens of jumbo squid, also called Humboldt squid, flapping helplessly on the shore Saturday—about an hour after an earthquake had struck off the California city at 7:34 a.m.

They beached AFTER the quake, so while I agree with you that marine life behaviour could be linked with quakes I do not agree that they can be looked upon as warnings for impending quakes

And it's not a question of never believing you, show me unrefutable evidence & I'll believe it, until then I'll be skeptic

[edit on 17/7/09 by Discotech]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

My last reply to you

Question........................ at 7:30 in the morning - People SAW the squids.............. right? SO...... does that mean they could have BEEN there During the night - and no one saw them UNTIL after it was light?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e168db4fc2f.jpg[/atsimg]

The thing is - just as many threads on this site are.... it is questioning links - it is showing links, then AGAIN people make up their OWN minds on what might or might not be.

Just as my mind is made up - so is yours - that is fine, so I won't continue arguing any facts of correlation with you. Everyone has a RIGHT to their own opinion, and I am stating my OWN opinions in the threads and laying out WHY they are my opinions.

I do NOT ask anyone to take what I say as FACT - I simply have them question themselves - if what I post in sea animal events go with Earth movement events. Please notice - I do NOT say - "believe me in absolutes"! I simply give info and then others can investigate more themselves if they so desire in the correlation of events.

So, in my OWN investigations - I have FOUND correlations that work in my OWN opinion.

Again, what you believe is just fine - and that is what you hold on to - so there is nothing wrong with your belief. As there is nothing wrong with me trying to put pieces of a puzzle together through my own belief and laying them out for others to see.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I do believe most people that have the mind to even read anything on ATS are well aware that everything is speculative. I personally love most all of questionall's threads, they are right up my alley, she puts a lot of effort into piecing together her opinions, yes opinions, and I can appreciate that for what it is worth. You ask for IRREFUTABLE evidence, well there is no such thing, in anything. I think some people, me, questioningall, others, have strong inner feelings that the earth is going through something monumental, so we just keep trying to find the signs. You obviously do not have the inner voice or you would bring more to the table, not just negativity.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join