It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Has Happened To ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm not even sure where to post this, but think it needs to be said.

Again I ask, what has happened to ATS? I am speaking to all the members of the community here. These days, I have found my self visiting less and less. The reason? The level of bickering has hit an all time high, which in turn has brought my experience here, to an all time low!! I am not referring to a debate, or a pro/con argument or even the good ole: "we will just have to agree to disagree." I am talking about hateful, hurtful, and nasty personal attacks!!! It is becoming a 'real problem!'

I can remember when I would click on a thread, and read pages and pages of a healthy, hearty intellectual discussion and of course you would get a couple of dissenters, but generally that was the exception not the rule! Now days, you can find a real smear fest of the OP by the second or third post. Not just on ONE thread but on MOST!! This type of behavior is making ATS look 'common' and 'low brow'!! This is truly a shame. If I want to be ridiculed and personally criticized for having an opinion I can go to many other sites.

The reason I stayed at ATS was not because of the conspiracy information, it was because of the people, you guys!! We were able to openly discuss many sides to some very difficult issues; and we did so intelligently, with patience, passion and effort! Have we just gotten lazy or is it something more?

Sure, we can blame the moderators, or this member or that one but who said anything about blame or fault? Honestly, the problem is US!! Each and everyone of us! We have all lost sight of our boundaries!

Personal boundaries are the physical, emotional and mental limits we establish to protect ourselves from being manipulated, used or violated by others. They allow us to separate who we are, and what we think and feel, from the thoughts and feelings of others. Their presence helps us express ourselves as the unique individuals we are, while we at the same time acknowledging the same in others.

Learning to set healthy personal boundaries is necessary for maintaining a positive self-concept or self-image. It is our way of communicating to others that we have self-respect, self-worth and will not allow others to define us.

link:[www.essentiallifeskills.net...]

If we are willing to look inward instead of outward, then we can make ATS the best site on the net; to outrank the other forums, uniquely defined by it's member, Not for WHAT we say, but HOW we say it!

I want to be a part of the solution not the problem. How about you?

Sincerely,
Paxnatus

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It might just be a natural progression. ATS has gotten pretty big and does have its share of problem children just like any other group of people.

another thought,

The new system of 'recognition' for 'contribution' has created a flag quest. It means more and more people are creating more and more polarizing threads for more attention and recognition. Vitriol tends to follow this trend.

and one more,

Things might calm down a bit after the kids go back to school in the fall.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Yes, I have noticed that also. In fact, I also find myself on much less, due to the same problem that you cited. Like you, I look for intelligent threads where ideas are exchanged without malice. They have been few and far between lately. I've also noticed that many of the members that are well respected, are strangely absent. I wonder if the economic crisis plays a part in both of those observations.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

A very good point regarding the younger kids. However, I still feel, we can't fix a problem unless we are aware there is a problem. And there is a problem.
Many have left due to rampant attacks by others.

I appreciate your input.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

I've also noticed that many of the members that are well respected, are strangely absent.

im relatively new, but ive noticed this too! strange...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I too am I little tired of ATS.

Intelligent, insightful, well researched and written replies get virtually zero attention. The most popular threads always fall to the lowest common denominator subjects, like "what is better, chocolate of vanilla?!" A thread like that will get a crap-load of replies and spend an entire week on top of the "recent posts" section.

This is the natural way things work out, I guess. It makes sense. If somebody makes a great thread on "quantum-chromo-dynamics," I wouldn't expect to see a lot of replies to that, because virtually no one even knows what that is -- let alone has something good to add.

90% of the things I read here make me roll my eyes, laugh, or cry. It's very rare that a good discussion gets up and running, and even when it does, people rarely use facts or statistics -- even though they're on the freaking internet. How hard is it to google the subject you're talking about and pull up some info on it?

Another problem is the same topics get rehashed a thousand times in countless ways. Yea -- I get it, you're worried about the NWO. Yea, I get it, you're a republican who thinks democrats are wrong; or you're a democrat who thinks republicans are wrong. Yea, I get it, NASA is covering things up. Yea, I get it, you believe in telepathy or remote viewing.

Yea, I get it, you have no proof or anything new to say on any of those subjects.

A return to getting informative posts is long overdue. But it's too easy to simply state your opinion without spending 5 minutes on google to make sure your opinion is based in fact. And that's why I'm visiting ATS less and less each day.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am new here i will admit but i have other friends that have been on here for awhile and i can rememebr reading some pretty cool stuff and thats why i decided to join and have been trying my best not to smear anybody or anything like that because i love this site and all th info available and talking to you guys.

Squid out

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I am glad that you took the time to make this thread, because this is an issue that should be thoroughly addressed.

There is an escalating growth of member, idea, personal, etc. BASHING going on. If this site was put together to help everyone deny ignorance and further our investigations into the unknown, then people should stop acting so ignorant.

Yes, there's a possibility for a member to post a thread or make a comment that really 'hits home' for you, or takes 'the last straw', but are we not mature enough, and more informed to be so big-headed, and just go off on these types of comments? The saying "Kill them with kindness" can often times leave people speechless over a subject.

Use your intelligence and wit to fight hatred and disinformation.

Not stupidity and quick tongues.

With that being said...

I've really grown weary most recently of newly found fame threads with titles such as listed below, making it to the front page:

The Gay Agenda

Jesus Christ is The Only Way

Studies Show Blondes to be More Attractive

Please, spare me the heartache, and let's start back with the basics. I'd really like to see the dwindling down of visits on my behalf to end. I truly adore this blog, for all the vital information it's presented to me, and the push it's given me to do further research on my own.

It's time that we start sharing more informative and intelligent information, if not for the members, but to atleast give ATS justice.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by undefy.gravity]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
double post, sorry.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Intelligent, insightful, well researched and written replies get virtually zero attention.

Nothing but the truth. I also am tired of people attacking the poster rather than the post. Usually when that happens I just call it a day on ATS.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more.

...how many Michael Jackson threads do there need to be?

A $1 monthly subscription fee would probably help keep the kids out?

ps. this probably fits into General Conspiracies

[edit on 16-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i cant help but notice that all you who replied joined in the last couple of years. i also cant help but notice you are all on too something. when i 1st joined i would spend hours reading and learning, especially in the aircraft forums. maybe it is just that nothing "big" has happened in awhile and we are left to hash and re-hash old stuff, and then just go totally overboard with our theories. I for one whould love to see several forums eliminated, reptilians,greys,indigos to name a few
I also notice an new trend as well. nothing turns me off faster than seeing a thread that starts "undeniable proof"
and you are also right about respected people and subject matter experts being MIA

[edit on 7/16/2009 by zoso28]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Excellent and timely thread Paxnatus, IMO.

Don't think I've talked with you before. Hiya!

I think it's more than kids. I've only been here a bit more than a year, however it seems a bit like growing pains to me.

There's another site I've spent and continue to spend a fair amount of time, since 2005. During that time, I saw people come together as friends, but also saw the skirmishes, and the growth of the whole site community. All the time, new people coming on board which change the fabric of the web community. A very small segment seem entertained by conflict -- not trolls, per se, but folks that seem to err on the side of friction.

I think it's probably much like that for ATS. I can't imagine how jumbled and frenetic it must seem to early register members like yourself. Well, I can. It almost seems cyclic.

I try to visualize people in front of me -- face to face -- to sort of temper my posts. I'm not afraid of confrontation, just live by a somewhat outdated personal *cough* code

I've found myself getting pretty ticked off at a small segment of folks here lately, and I just keep asking myself one of my mantras: "What's your goal, here, buck?" If I don't have an answer, I take a breath or two and take another look.

Maybe a matter of just choosing your interaction with people you respect; doesn't necessarily mean you have to agree, just people that will be fair over insulting. I think that was the original intent of the term "respected foe". If the 'foe" was changed to "opponent" I might use the feature.

Sorry for the novella.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I agree. It has been annoying me as well. I do my best to keep things civilized, but I do get very annoyed by the absolute misuse of the rolling eyes and laughing emoticons. *sigh*

For the record, I thought the JC is the only way thread went rather well. We avoided personal attacks for the most part. But it didn't really add much substance to the site.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
One thing I've learned as a "new" member (I've only been a member for 8-9 months) is that I went through a progression of what I did and how I reacted to things here on ATS. I now do some writing on a collaborative thread and pretty much deal with the regulars that I know. I'm not active in the other threads much at all because I think I've found out where I'm comfortable and get the most satisfaction and enjoyment from the site.

I think most of us end up finding a niche and concentrating on those areas eventually but the high numbers of new members every day means that there will always be more and more people that are in that initial stage where they feel like they have to prove something, get a reputation or get more points.

I've noticed a higher level of agression here on ATS recently but to tell the truth I'm spoiled here on this site. When I go to other sites it's disturbing how bad some of the behavior is. We do have a growing issue here but it's still much better than the behavior on most of the sites out there.
The new membership is all coming from an internet where everything is unregulated and behavior often borders on sociopathic. I think it is a symptom of a bigger problem outside of ATS and we are seeing that behavior filter in.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is not a new concern by any means. There have been multiple posts on this same subject and all it amounts to is people whining and then nothing changes.

If things are going to change mods need to step up their enforcement, at least that's what I think.

I do agree that things have changed here on ATS tho. I have lurked these boards for 3 years and I always found interesting threads when I first stumbled upon ATS.

One thing I would like to see is the removal of "Opposite" threads where someone will just make a thread that is the exact opposite of one that was already posted. I just don't get why people can't debate on the original thread instead of creating a new one to dismiss claims.

My biggest pet peeve has to be when threads with absolutely no proof of anything get starred and flagged. I just don't get how so many people can drive nonsense threads to the front page when most of them are nothing but short stories.

If you want a thread on the front page just say that your ex CIA and that you have inside information. Then tell people you will answer their questions and give other information and watch the flags and stars pile up. If your more into ET's just say you were taken by aliens because you are and indigo and sooooo special to this world blah blah blah... /end rant.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Good rant. I can't add much to that, especially the "anti-thread" and the sensationalized ones.

Of course, I'm someone who mostly makes dedthreads.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's the dog days of Summer and that always brings out trouble.

The kiddies are out of school and it's too hot outside to go burn down the neighbors barn, so they either play video games or torment anyone on line that they can find. It happens every year.

Many of the decent posters are on break as well. Good weather should not be wasted. At 10:30 last night I was in a cemetery with a team of paranormal researchers looking for evidence of the afterlife. I wouldn't have been there if it had been freezing temperatures. (Thread on the way)

Summer does this to people. Those that aren't grouchy are living life too good. We should burn them at the stake.

Like any other site ATS has it's ups and downs. We have moments when insights are flying right and left and people are dumbfounded by all the brilliance flashing back and forth.

We also have those lulls when the mean spirited and callous come through.

That's called life and you'll live it whether your on this site or not.

I live for the good times I have here, even if it means I have to go through some dark times as well.

It's worth it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Summer does this to people. Those that aren't grouchy are living life too good. We should burn them at the stake.

that's funny, ah doan care who y'are!

I came to terms with summer when we moved to the tropics -- either be happy and hot or ticked off and hot.* I chose the former. I like your take on things mrwupy.

*icey-cold adult beverage rules

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I wonder though ...

I have had this conversation recently, including with some senior staff members, and they assure me that summer and a cyclical element are involved.

Again i wonder, if we're not all trying to convince ourselves of that.

One thing is for sure, a LOT of outstanding members have recently left. As the site grows and more and more people join, these kind of reasoned and intelligent members become more and more important. They not only set an example but also ensure the cultural continuity of ATS. This is not to say in the least that we don't have outstanding members joining every day, it's more an 'economies of scale' issue.

How to address all that is, as they say, above my pay grade ...

For now I am adopting the 'be the change you wish to see' mantra.
But I must admit, it's getting a little harder to get motivated and enthusiastic these days.

Hopefully I will be wrong as usual and it is just a summer thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join