It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I like the topic, but I was wondering. How do these ways you guys see life, influence the way you live?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by joerID]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I believe that the meaning of life is to live. Plain and Simple.
The longer you live, the more clear it becomes.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

There is no meaning. No reason. No plan. No more than why the sun rises and the wind blows.

We are nothing but a complex conglomerate of electrochemical reactions that give us the common illusion of consciousness.

We are born from mechanical means, via sexual reproduction, and we expire via chemical means, via decomposition. Then we are nothing.

*IF* there are remnants of our being, our ID, our self, that linger on, who knows. But as a physical entity, we are nothing more than cells, reacting to their environment.

The soul, the 'we' I believe exists beyond the physical. Apart from it. Perhaps we don't so much as die, as forget the meaningless fragment of 'consciousness' we experience while 'alive'.

To ask what is the meaning of life is to ask what is the meaning of air.

it just is, with or without reason.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Dad told me once, "The meaning of life is you are born, go to school, then find a job and get married. After that you have kids, work hard all your life and die so the kids can have your house."

I did not believe him.

If we bring the meaning of life down to a purely biological level, then propogation of the species is the dominant force.

But the meaning of life must be more than that. Much more. When we take everything in our life into consideration what do we see as the defining thing about life? Experiences, the things we supposedly learn from. We learn about ourselves, our capabilities, physicalness, emotions, energetic interplay in a dense realm, and the world around us over the duration of our life.

I think the meaning of life is not 42, it is Experience. What else would motivate an energetic awareness into disseminating into smaller and denser forms ? Not talking "Omnipotent Male God" here okay, just an aware universe... an energy with awareness.

If awareness learns about itself from the experiences it can cause itself to have, then the meaning of all life would be simply to Experience.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is my first post so....First off I would like to say that this site is Great. I've been lurking on ATS for about a year now and this website has introduced me to so many theories that have made me into a more free thinking person. Thank you.

On topic...The Meaning of life in my opinion is simple. It is survival. Lets take a step back to when mankind was nomadic tribesman, before man even created the concept of a god(s). Mans purpose was to provide Protection, food, water, and shelter so that he and his family/ tribe could survive in the wild. I believe it is that simple. Our only purpose is to survive,to procreate, so that we can insure the Survival of our species.That is the meaning of Life.

I believe that our survival has been mankinds greatest legacy.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

LOL good example to go by, BUT...I HATE THAT SONG!! lol Its one of my most hated.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I ask myself this question every single day of my life, sometimes several times. And this constant questioning has nothing to do with religion. It is an innate desire of mine to work out why I am here and what is the purpose for doing the things I do and what I should do!

Heard lots of answers:

- to reproduce
- to find one's true love
- to have fun and enjoy yourself
- to be righteous and live a moral life
- to help others in need
- to show compassion for those who suffer

Asking these types of questions can make you go insane, so sometimes it is not even worth it. Life is life, it is what it is. If you want to do things that bring you happiness and pleasure and know it cannot directly hurt anyone else, that would seem the most logical.

So yeah, in response to your question: the meaning of life is that the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
reply to post by badmedia

LOL good example to go by, BUT...I HATE THAT SONG!! lol Its one of my most hated.

It could be worse....

Tried walking while singing this myself but a car drove by, sprayed my trousers with water, a sheep rammed me, wasp stung my butt and then the birds crapped on my head.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by balrathamir

Great post there.... i was going to say something very similar....

I'll add that for me the meaning of life is to experience what you can, as much as you can until you find the ultimate goal for you which brings you happiness in your mind & heart.... It's a tough road though so be sure to not stray down the wrong alley!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

We are nothing but a complex conglomerate of electrochemical reactions that give us the common illusion of consciousness.

How can consciousness be an illusion?

# Illusion

1. An erroneous perception of reality.
2. An erroneous concept or belief.

# The condition of being deceived by a false perception or belief.
# Something, such as a fantastic plan or desire, that causes an erroneous belief or perception.

Illusion means it's not as it seems. Which I can agree with about reality itself, but how can you provide the illusion of consciousness to something which isn't conscious to being with?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I haven't read the thread yet I thought I would reply my thoughts first.

My belief is that conscious life was created in order to experience the shaped universe, we act as a a type of feedback stream to the source (i believe in a level of intelligent design but not the intelligent design theory nor do i subscribe to any religion).

I believe that we are all one, and even beyond that, that everything is one, if you go deep enough.

Reality was created (in my opinion) to seperate the chaos that was unbridled potential that hung in the nothingness before (assuming there had to be a time either before time or before creation).

Could universal laws exist if there was nothing to experience them ? Could there be a reality if there was nothing to experience it and understand or at least register that experience ?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What is the meaning of life?

This is the question that had been asked time and time again, with no one being able to give an accurate answer.

Could it be that everyone was meant to have a different meaning, so lifes meaning would always be different for you and me.

Personaly I would say that the meaning of life is leaving a history. We would all like to have our names and achievements living on through the ages well after we are gone.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What is NOT the meaning of life???

I have no idea what the meaning of life is, but I know some things for me that it is NOT:

Working for a government
Sacrificing your own objectives for society
Blindly accepting truth or belief from others

As a fellow evolutionists, I do believe that life's meaning is to live as an organism and reproduce. I also believe that people should do anything they wish. If you believe in 1 almighty God, great! If you believe every animal and tree has it's own god, awesome. If you are wiccan, that's cool. If you believe in the greek gods, your not crazy. If you believe something to be true, just believe, and don't belittle those who don't.

What I don't accept is people who feel as some god gives them power over other humans, or people who act as though they are a god.

"Everyone has the right to make his own decision/s, but no one has the right to force his decision on others."
-Ayn Rand

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
To be here now.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I see life as a journey rather than a destination. Whether you choose to live the life of the pious, or a life of frivolity and waste, there is technically no less meaning for any one choice over another. Life is a learning process.

Sure we live, love, laugh, breed, and die, but is there a right way to do this?
What you learn from today will change your choices (or not) for tomorrow.

Once upon a time, someone was cold and threw something over themselves to keep warm. Small choice. Small action. Did it affect how we live today, and how new territories were founded? Sure. The tiniest kernel of knowledge now can lead enormous jumps later.

I don't live life looking for a meaning, I look for knowledge. The sum of this knowledge - whatever form that takes - will give meaning to my life. Not limiting myself to one discipline, dogma, or social norm has served me well. Nobody has it all right, and nobody has it all wrong.

If you've found an old book you like, and you're stopping there, great. Good for you. Let's hope you never have a doubt and have to thumb back to the right chapter to shoehorn something in to make sense of your life because something happens that isn't really covered by the book.

There's a lot of knowledge out there. Don't waste it.
If you're a Republican - there may be something the Democrats say that's truth.
If you're a Democrat - there may be something the Republicans say that's truth.
If you're a atheist - there may be something the religious say that's truth.
If you're religious - there may be something the atheists say that's truth.

The truth takes many forms. I take it where I can find it. That said, I haven't found any one group that speaks all the truth all the time. That goes for religions, political parties, governments. Individuals can and do quite often.

Robert the Bruce, very religious, well educated, and extremely political person, coined the phrase, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
This didn't come from his political advisors, his religion, or his education. It came from watching a spider building a web.
Look around. Learn. Use your natural sense of wonder, not somebody else's vision. Their truth is not necessarily your truth.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What does meaning means?

Would it mean to be mean?

Words...The best representation of the paradox that we live in!
But if we keep trying to represent life we tend to forget to live!
Live and the perfect representation will come.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
As an evolutionist (need not go into this)

I believe that the blunt purpose of life, is to mate. Simple mate and enhance the human race, by pro-creating more and more humans.

As BT (bible thumpers) have told me, and what I use to believe, as a leader for four years for the youth group at church, is that the meaning of life, is solely, to bring more people the "Good News'', to show everyone that Jesus died for your sins, and to blah blah blah, live a happy life, while your at it?

The meaning of life, I can see some come up and say, "Oh well the meaning of life is to be good to your neighbor, and be honest and live a happy life". THAT IS NOT A MEANING! That is a way of life.

If the Meaning of life is to spread "The Gospel", is that really that great of a meaning.

All in all, i'm proposing a debatable thread. I wonder, if your God, Yahweh, Allah, Vishna, Whatever, has made us, why do you think he has made us.

Please leave out:

He/She/It needed company. I highly doubt, that a divine celestial all powerful being needed company, that by the way, was willing to banish it's company to eternal hell or whatever, is a honest answer, nor logical.

Does the way the bible, or quran (although I've never read it honestly) explain logically, and reasonably, a good reason for the meaning of life.

(I apologize for the jumping around in the OP, I have had numerous phone calls, and have tried to stay in one place, will edit if needed)

the meaning of life is 2 make your own meaning

no..... but seriusly

i think the meaning of life is 2 reproduce and 2 make children. 2 prolong your generations after a generation and that's what is important and the meaning if we say so.

its all about home and country, its all about romance and love

[edit on 16-7-2009 by 2Unknown]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The meaning? To live.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
And i might add it's in my signature!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
To reproduce and ensure the continuity of our species...

meanwhile... PRACTICE A LOT before it happens just to make sure yer ready when the time comes!!!!

I never miss practice!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join