It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Glad you commented on it, the thread is purely for speculation, and although some thing I go for stars flags, or hey Good jobs. I don't.

I thoroughly look over the posts, and ponder them (nerdily
) for my own speculation.

I honestly have nothing to rebuttal your post, nor go along with your post, Sorry
wish I did, it was good in its entirety.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by XXXN3O

Glad you commented on it, the thread is purely for speculation, and although some thing I go for stars flags, or hey Good jobs. I don't.

I thoroughly look over the posts, and ponder them (nerdily
) for my own speculation.

I honestly have nothing to rebuttal your post, nor go along with your post, Sorry
wish I did, it was good in its entirety.

I will say one thing.

I understand speculation and I still do not understand why speculating on the meaning of life can be a blasphemy to some christian denominations.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I understand the meaning of life to be to process data.

Life exists solely to process data. The Universe contains such a huge amount of data that requires processing and that is the purpose of life to process that data.

Eventually human lifeforms will reach a point where they are capable of processing every piece of data in the Entire Universe.

Once we reach that point, if there are other Universes or other dimensions we will also go on to process every piece of data in those realms.

If there are infinite Universe or Infinite Dimensions then our quest to process data will never end.

"Always chasing that white mouse" as they say.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

It can be a blasphemy, christians, islamists, and hindus, and many others, do not like having what they see as sheer fact go under scrutiny.

and I completely understand, as a once devout christian, I would supress and get angered by anything that was in opposition of christianity, i understand the mindset.

As for the loss of a parent, it was odd, but not bizarre, noone lives forever, and for me to be mentally, physically, or emotionally surpressed or obscured by it is silly, 100 billion people estimated have lived and died, for my life to be turned over by one of the deaths is ridiculous, I lost a friend, but I kept the memories.

Same with the next loss to come.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Life exists solely to process data. The Universe contains such a huge amount of data that requires processing and that is the purpose of life to process that data.

Eventually human lifeforms will reach a point where they are capable of processing every piece of data in the Entire Universe.

Once we reach that point, if there are other Universes or other dimensions we will also go on to process every piece of data in those realms.

If there are infinite Universe or Infinite Dimensions then our quest to process data will never end.

Wow what an immensely hard thing to grasp?

How did you come to this conclusion, is what i'd really like to ask?

Not to debate or whatever... just to research and things, it's pretty nice way of thought, and would like to see why you think this way.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The simple answer for the meaning of life is, To Feel! (IMO)

Our experiences gained as we go through life are invaluable if you consider non-existence. The feelings that are generated by our experiences and the people that are around us grow in an ever increasing collective.

Even though I have always like talking religion to the bible thumpers I consider evangelicalism for the most part a false religion. To claim your faith the only true faith and all others false is false in itself. In the same way a self proclaimed prophet is most likely a false prophet.

I also believe that Hell is a description for a place that was never meant to send people. It has been used out of context to promote fear in the faithful and create many "God fearing Christians" that will unquestionably follow the authority of the church.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Meaning of Life? I always thought it was Forty-Two, or was that the answer to life?

Honestly I think the Meaning of Life is to find meaning in life, find it however you can and have a good time. Life is short, and trying to find some deeper meaning and taking it too seriously just ruins it, have a good time, be entirely 100% free.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

It can be a blasphemy, christians, islamists, and hindus, and many others, do not like having what they see as sheer fact go under scrutiny.

and I completely understand, as a once devout christian, I would supress and get angered by anything that was in opposition of christianity, i understand the mindset.

As for the loss of a parent, it was odd, but not bizarre, noone lives forever, and for me to be mentally, physically, or emotionally surpressed or obscured by it is silly, 100 billion people estimated have lived and died, for my life to be turned over by one of the deaths is ridiculous, I lost a friend, but I kept the memories.

Same with the next loss to come.

I cant speak for all christians, islamists or hindus but as a christian I do have to say that in the bible the end meaning of life or exactly what is to come after life is not entirely explained in any detail. Therefore in my eyes its a good thing to think about if you want too, if you do not then do just that. I cannot find anything in the bible I use that says you must never think about what comes after life or what mankinds ultimate purpose is. It does however say that even angels marvel at mans purpose. I was however given a brain as well as everyone else. Nothing wrong in using it if you want too.

I do not understand what denomination you were part of, sounds catholic to me to be honest but I have no idea. I go to church and have yet to be requested to donate, told I cannot think like that, I dont confess my own sins to anyone but god either, I also enjoy some good debates with the minister, if I miss church nothing is said or judged, the people that go are very open minded to questions etc, considerate and they completely acknowledge nobody including themselves are perfect which is also in the bible as well.

We will all find out when we are not here anyways. Then we can argue about it on ATS 2 if we have an internet that is.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Wow what an immensely hard thing to grasp?

How did you come to this conclusion, is what i'd really like to ask?

Not to debate or whatever... just to research and things, it's pretty nice way of thought, and would like to see why you think this way.

I actually came to this conclusion the other night while having a great conversation with another board member Badmedia.

I realized that EVERYTHING we do is a simple Zero/One choice like a computer.

Every decision is based off of a simple 1/0 Yes/No decision.

EVERY life form processes data. From the simplest creatures to us the life forms on Earth with the most processing power.

I do not consider emotion to be spiritual but instead to be a chemical that can affect the 1/0 Yes/No decision making process of the Human Mind Computer.

When we are happy it is just chemicals being released. When we are Angry it is another chemical. The same with sadness or fear.

That is not to say I do not make every attempt to laugh in life. Lets face it when you laugh it is a GREAT drug being released. I want that drug and not the sadness or anger drug.

I am really starting to see that humans cannot stand to not try and solve a puzzle. We are such puzzle solving creatures! Be it trying to figure out how to "beat the system" and get a good deal on a purchase, or to get a really good haircut that others in our society will find stimulating, or commit a crime and get away with it, or attempting to talk to that gorgeous human we see every day at the music store.

We process data. Data data data. We just do it on an enormous scale. Maybe millions of calculations every single day. Maybe billions or trillions!

When I get my mind fired up and start to think of all of the thoughts that combine to form even the SIMPLEST of thoughts it can get to be an ENORMOUS figure. GIGANTIC amounts of processing for even the simplest action of scratching an itch.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Oh god, you talked to badmedia!

I couldn't and avoid doing that, because I see their posts, and am in bewilderment at that, I couldn't imagine a one on one constant talk.

They are a good person, just so noone thinks i'm putting this user down, i'm not in any way, if anything i'm doing the upset, OK!

I understand it now. Added as friend too.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

After many years of travel and much soul searching, on top of a mountain high in the Andes, I finally found the meaning of life.

I would share it with you, but a Christian mod would probably find it offensive, dock me 1000 points and remove my post so I'll not waste my time typing it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Just be.

Simple.

In the end when your time has run its course, you will not remember, but for the time you have, just be. You can question all you want the meaning, you however will never find an answer as it was never meant to be in question.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I will say this for Badmedia. He has forced me to do some seriously hardcore research about my beliefs and changed some and pushed others so far beyond the brink in a very short time span.

He (I think Badmedia is a he) seems to be a VERY educated person especially in the field of computers and Intelligence way beyond any type of education I have ever had. I just could not understand how he was trying to explain what he did not want to call a "Soul" or a "Spirit" he kept calling consciousness an "Observer" and it hit me like a freaking mack truck that what we consider to be the observer who is observing the observer is an inaccurate description for consciousness.

It was so very SIMPLE that I could not believe it! It was just the MASSIVENESS of processing that gave us the ability to do so many computations so extremely fast all at the same time that was what we were.

I could not believe that I had never thought of it like that before. But it took someone else's stubbornness for me to actually come to that conclusion.

If Badmedia had phrased it any other way I do not think I would have made that quantum leap.

I told him if you can give me a definition for consciousness than wouldn't it be reasonable to say that definition will be a set of laws or rules that could be applied to programming?

That is where the light bulb came on for me and I said NO WAY this is not happening!

I might be completely wrong and would strongly encourage anyone to challenge my belief.

But the undeniable simplicity of it all was just so ...I do not know how to describe it....It just kind of made all of the pieces fit for me regarding "Why".

Like Carl Sagan said
"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent. "

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote

After many years of travel and much soul searching, on top of a mountain high in the Andes, I finally found the meaning of life.

I would share it with you, but a Christian mod would probably find it offensive, dock me 1000 points and remove my post so I'll not waste my time typing it.

thats why we have U2U, I don't care about flags or post counts or those funny little stars, I'd trully like to hear it (and find a way to spell Trully?) Please U2U me if you read this.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Many thanks for your comment. *tips hat*

An excellent question, possibly one of the most important questions we must consider. Thanks for starting the thread, I have found the answers given quite interesting.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Life is meaningless, people can't really get their heads around that so they invent fairytales to make it seem more than it is.
There is no purpose and certainly no meaning.
I hope 2012 IS true so we can all end this charade called life.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Wow, so much nihilism and "subjective morality" in this thread! Who should I spend time replying to?

The meaning of life is synonymous with purpose. You are born with a body, a brain, and an unknown but limited amount of time. You are constantly presented with choices and one very fundamental choice is "to do or to do not." You have the power to give yourself purpose through the choices you make. Your purposes and your striving to fulfill them gives you meaning, so it would be reasonable to say that you give yourself meaning.

This is what drives humanity to reach new heights.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
"The men where you live," said the little prince, "raise five thousand roses in thesame garden−− and they do not find in it what they are looking for." "They do not find it," I replied. "And yet what they are looking for could be found in one single rose, or in a little water." "Yes, that is true," I said. And the little prince added: "But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart..."

-------------------------

A Hopi Indian named Sun Chief said:

"I had learned many English words and could recite part of the Ten Commandments. I knew how to sleep on a bed, pray to Jesus, comb my hair, eat with a knife and fork, and use a toilet. ... I had also learned that a person thinks with his head instead of his heart ".

-------------------------

"When Carl Jung, the great psychoanalyst, went to Taos Peublo in New Mexico in 1925, he met the chief of the native people, Ochwiay Biano. Biano told Jung that according to his people, the Whites were 'mad'-uneasy, restless, always wanting something.

Jung asked him why he thought they were mad, and the chief replied that it was because they thought with their heads, a sure sign of mental illness among his tribe. Jung asked him how he thought and he pointed to his heart. The response plunged Jung into a deep introspection that enabled him to see his race from outside himself and realise how much of the race's character was within him."

[edit on 16-7-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I dont think there is a true meaning. I think the purpose for us humans was be slaves. And if you think about how reglion is enslaving the mind to only think about certain things, dont question just believe or bad things will happen to you is silly. although i do believe there might have been a JC or Allah or Moses or budha I dont believe the stories.

the reason i suggest the slave thoery is because if you look at the earth as a system we dont fit in. all the other animals have a cycle they follow. bears sleep in the winter and birds go south for the winter, we dont . we live in the same place all year long. Our entire culture is taylord in serving something. No other species is. If its not a god(s) its something else. The meaning to me is to realize what you are cause your in control on a small scale., Yes your in control in your every day life but your body controls you to more to the point your DNA. what ever that strain is made of lets you do the things you choose or not choose to do. we get this notion about freedom but ho free are we really. So you live your days on earth and then you pass you dont control where you go after that either. you can believe your lifestyle you had might put you place to go to the right place but you dont even know if thats even really there.

My 10 cents is realize we are not what we think we are some creation out of what ever. we were made to work. not survive.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Read my above post, you are trying to use your head to find the meaning. Think with the heart.

Yes it's just a figure of speech. But it's true. Remember Braveheart : "your heart is free do not be afraid to follow it"

Meaning : play

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join