It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The American Media Is Sad: In Four Simple Pictures

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+90 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thought you all might enjoy this, it's really quite sad.

Can it be so easily demonstrated why the American media has completely turned its back on journalism? Check it out... Here is the current cover of Newsweek across various areas of the world.

Annie Leibovitz is tired and nursing a cold, and she' s just flown back to New York on the red-eye from Los Angeles, where she spent two days shooting Angelina Jolie for Vogue....

I guess there are no other magazines available to feature stuff like art, photography, pop issues or families and children. Newsweek has to push Afghanistan off the cover in the states to feature this.

Meanwhile the foreign issues note, Five years after the Afghan invasion, the Taliban are fighting back hard, carving out a sanctuary where they—and Al Qaeda's leaders—can operate freely.

I guess Newsweek figures what you don't know can't hurt you. Just shut up and look at the pretty pictures of Angelina's baby.

Full Article Here

Another example ...

Time Magazine shows the rest of the world one thing, and America something different.

This week, Time's cover story is an essay arguing in favor of teaching the Bible in schools. On the cover of its international edition is a story: "The Truth About Talibanistan," about the resurgence of the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan (and also, Pakistan), and how it's "the next battleground of the war on terrorism." The story is in the U.S. edition of the magazine but not on the American cover, presumably because Rick Stengel & co. think the Bible will do better newsstand.

Full Article Here

Verify Cover's Here At Newsweek's Web Site

This is just ridiculous ... not much else to say besides that.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wow, never even realized this was going on, great find btw.
2nd line.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Sigh. It's sad when you start to really, really distrust your own country's intentions. It's almost like the American MSM doesn't want us to focus on important issues like war, politics and what is going on in the rest of the world. As long as America stays in her little protective delusional bubble, maybe all the scary problems in the world will just go away.

The attitude of the U.S. is not just pathetic, it's worse: apathetic.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There is a good explanation for why they do this. People ignore depressing news when it is repeated time and time again, it also does not mirror reality because there is far more going on in the world than war. Human interest stories are popular with readers, not to mention Afghanistan was a hellhole five years ago, last week and will be a month from now, there will be no lack of coverage.

Stop trying to portray the media as "covering up" the real news, they cover it all the time. There is more to life than death and destruction.

+68 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
There is a good explanation for why they do this.

Yeah, to brainwash you.

Human interest stories my ass. How many people are dying every day in Afghanistan? That's more of a human interest to me than what some woman I don't even know or give a damn about has been doing lately.

Hearing about "doom and gloom" is one thing, but Afghanis and our soldiers are living it, every single day. While you are over here reading about Britney Spears and Michael Jackson, they are still dying, because of our country's policies. Oh, but you don't care, you don't want to HEAR about it.
We are not accomplishing anything in Afghanistan, never will. When we leave, they will come right back in. We should have went the diplomatic route but once again the government and media screwed you on that one too. Gunshot to the head, bomb landing on a family's home, etc., etc. That is why the rest of the world gives more of a damn about this than pop stars, because they aren't completely retarded.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by bsbray11]

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Who cares about the war and whatever is going on in the world? I'm American! I want to know how Brad and Angie are doing! What are they wearing? Where did they go on holiday? What do they like on their all white cheese blintzes?

-ok, I've finished vomiting now-

Excellent post. Just another example of how americans (in general) are nothing but sheep and we get what we deserve. Look at our president! Look at our congress, our laws! We are the PC version of brain-dead morons.

-I wonder if they printed any of Angie's recipes in the magazine?-

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! Sorry, had a relapse.

We deserve whatever we get.

I wonder if England will take us back.
Queen Elizabeth? On behalf of all americans I want to apologize for the whole revolution thing. Our bad. We are now a nation of idiots who deserve to be beaten within an inch of our lives. Sorry.

-I need another drink!!-

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They print what will sell in each market.

Checking the newsweek site shows that this week's cover for the US has Holder on it with this as the cover story:

Independent’s Day

Obama doesn't want to look back, but Attorney General Eric Holder may probe Bush-era torture anyway.

Attorney General May Probe Bush Torture Policy

I don't see too many people outside of the US caring too much about our Independence Day or Eric Holder, regardless of the mention of Bush or torture.

The international versions have this as the cover story:

Why Fears Of A Muslim Takeover Are All Wrong

Analyzing the forecasts of an emerging 'Eurabia,' hostile to America and western values.

Dispelling the Myth of Eurabia

This is an article about Muslims in Europe being up to 40% of the population by 2025. Bad as I hate to say it, most Americans aren't going to care what the Muslim population percentage is in Europe.

That is why the covers are different and why the cover stories are different. It's not some nefarious plot, it's marketing.

Edit: If people would actually go to the Newsweek site to check the covers for themselves they would see that Afghanistan is not the topic of either version.

Edit again: The cover with Afghanistan on it was from 2006.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Just another piece of our cult-ure cage.

We keep powering the mammon murder machine.

We pull the levers and shovel the coal while blindfolded, as to not see the work the machine is accomplishing.

We would not wake up to press the buttons if we could see what the buttons do.

The whole of culture is operated by the enemy of your sovereign.

Zero information in the peoples paper.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Angelina Jolie

or

Military Invasion and Occupation of Afghanistan

Jolie

The Ghan

Jolie

The Ghan

That is a really tough decision

While I am deeply interested in the Life of a millionaire Hollywood Movie star Angelina Jolie and her adventures around the world with her equally wealthy and attractive Hollywood actor husband Brad Pitt, I am at the same time interested in the United States and it's allies occupation of the country of Afghanistan.

Can we run a story on Angelina Jolie in Afghanistan?

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It's sad how they always set the muslim image to where people see them as villains. That time magazine shows a muslim with a "rawr" face and an RPG launcher. Like they couldn't show "losing afghanistan" with a picture of innocent muslim families (yes they have families too mass media) losing their homes because of the conflict? I'm tired of media and our culture villainizing every aspect of muslim and middle eastern culture.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
It's sad how they always set the muslim image to where people see them as villains. That time magazine shows a muslim with a "rawr" face and an RPG launcher. Like they couldn't show "losing afghanistan" with a picture of innocent muslim families (yes they have families too mass media) losing their homes because of the conflict? I'm tired of media and our culture villainizing every aspect of muslim and middle eastern culture.

That was from 2006. The current covers are shown on their website and have no mention of Afghanistan, as I stated at the bottom of my previous post after linking to their cover stories for the current issue.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

LOL, Oh we do care very much about the make-up of Europe... last thing we want is a "flight" scenario / mass immigration or native Europeans trying to escape what they created only to come here to recreate the nightmare.

We have enough politically correct idiots here.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

True, but the only thing that will cause most people here to care is if they start seeing large numbers of immigrants coming over at once. Until that happens, not many are going to care.

And yes we do have enough of those. More than enough actually. Maybe we can send a few somewhere that is running low?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
There is one thing I think everyone can agree on. Newsweek is a really a lame duck magazine in all aspects.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
After two consecutive weeks of Michael Jackson this, Michael Jackson that, while serious news was happening in the world is a clear slap in the face.

If we Americans were shown real news, we would be an informative nation. Can't have a country of sheep with brains. And thought. And thinking. And wondering why...

Junk begets more junk.
Information begets more information.

To be able to have a break from real news should be a choice of- other channels, turning the tv off, reading a book or the paper, or submerge ones self in TMZ and catch up on Hollywood news.

Real news, hard, decisive, profound journalism should have a place.
But, then again, knowledge is power. And I think the last thing TPTB want is for us civilians to have an ounce of power.

A few ounces of power multiplied by a few hundred million would capsize their Four tons of BS in no time. That, in my way of thinking, is bad business for them.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There is no cover-up or conspiracy.

It's supply and demand.

Stop demanding photos of movie stars and the media will eventually stop providing them.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
That Annie Leibovitz cover is hardly current. It's from 2006.

Oh, and Time Magazine usually has different covers for different markets.

Have a look:
www.time.com...

[edit on 14-7-2009 by vox2442]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

They're both from October 2, 2006.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i really don't know what's going on with the media any more. it's certainly not about news or journalism. it's to sell magazines or newspapers. I do know they track covers very carefully. some people's pictures sell magazines. I remember hearing talk about the local news broadcasts, how the real point is the ads, and the news segments are just the vehicle to get you to watch the ads. same with time or newsweek. it's the ads that bring in the cash. the articles and cover are to suck you in to see the ads. if war sells, fine. if celebrities sell, fine. it's not really a cover-up. we just think of it as something different than it is.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kadugen
It's supply and demand.

So what exactly makes American demand so much more shallow and ignorant than the rest of the world, you think?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join