It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The American Media Is Sad: In Four Simple Pictures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpiritoftheNightSky
Nooooo....., It's exactly like the American MSM doesn't want us to focus on important issues.....

Um, unless those issues make them money, then they want us to focus on them. Our media, unlike the medias in such favored ATS countries as Iran, N Korea, China, Russia etc. are NOT always putting out state sponsored propaganda. Being an American, I've personally witnessed on several occasions in my life, the media going after our government and their actions, and I've watched them squirm and get totally pissed off that the media was causing so much trouble for them. If going after the government became more profitable, they would be on them like a pit bull. Of course, if the same were attempted by the media of some of the above named countries, journalists would DIE (and have). Our MSM is all about money, the same with most countries that have some freedom in what they report.

If we want truly unbiased reporting, we the people would need to fund some sort of non-profit public media, that is free of advertisers, executives, government interference, etc. Otherwise, everybody is selling something, even conspiracy heroes like Alex Jones and such.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I agree with your perspective.

but I have to disagree with what is acceptable for grown adults to be interested in.

Being interested in sports and garbage media is fine, but it shouldn't be a priority. there are a lot more important things to be concerned with.

but the american population has systematically dumbed down and juvinalized themselves over the last few decades. Now we really do actually care what's new in branjolina's lives. really? we're that petty. thats our primary interest and priority? to me thats sad. but it's not my choice to make as to what people do with their time. I just think that focusing on trivial gossip and sophomorish topics is sad. and a very bad symptom of a very serious problem with american culture.

but of course I'm wrong I mean the american society has been improving so much recently. they are really on track, which why we have our consumer based (read greed/ egocentric/ narcissistic/ me first/ I'm more important than you and if I was just more like angelina jolie or kobe bryant I would be the most important person in society=paris hilton) society thats so impressive to everybody else on the planet. So impressive that they don't understand our mentality and look at it like some sort of anathema. We aren't liked for a reason. sorta the same way we don't like stupid thoughless, clueless rich kid trust fund babies driving like jack asses in their SL500's that daddy bought for them just cause they were 16. that same disgust is what a majority of the world feels about our aloofness and disconnection from anything with substance or importance. Just look at how great thats working out for us.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
ugh, I'm ashamed of my country, always have been a little ashamed of being born and raised in the United States of America, but it's not my fault that most of my country's citizens are complete delusional idiots.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
but I have to disagree with what is acceptable for grown adults to be interested in

I know I'm missing the intent of that statement, what do you mean by acceptable?? Are you saying we need to regulate interests??

but the american population has systematically dumbed down and juvinalized themselves over the last few decades. Now we really do actually care what's new in branjolina's lives. really? we're that petty. thats our primary interest and priority? to me thats sad. but it's not my choice to make as to what people do with their time. I just think that focusing on trivial gossip and sophomorish topics is sad. and a very bad symptom of a very serious problem with american culture

Why is it "american"? Last I checked, just about every "free" country has a pop culture, and are obsessed with their celebrities. Look at the UK and the royal family, being obsessed with the lives of the rich and famous is NOT an american creation.

but of course I'm wrong I mean the american society has been improving so much recently

I never said it was improving, but i also can't say it's getting worse. Seems to be the same as it has been, for as long as i can remember anyway.

We aren't liked for a reason.

Those who don't like us aren't any better, they just like to think they are, which to me is worse cuz it's SO hypocritical. They spout all kinds of hatred for americans, but try their hardest to emulate us.

sorta the same way we don't like stupid thoughless, clueless rich kid trust fund babies driving like jack asses in their SL500's that daddy bought for them just cause they were 16.

My first car was a 69 vw bug, for 400 dollars, lol. I don't know why those who don't like us would equate us all to rich kids. That seems super ignorant in itself, and their hatred is for completely false reasoning. I couldn't care less if they want to make false assumptions about us.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Sorry to echo some of the previous responses, it's because most Americans don't give a crap about anything other than themselves. Yes, I'm American.

My favorite question to ask people I meet, do you follow any news? You will find in the majority of cases the answer is no. For most the only news they get is from the headlines of tabloids in the grocery store checkout lines. If you try to talk to them about a story they will roll their eyes or say they don't care. When I ask Why? the answer I normally get is "because I can't do anything about it" or "so what, why should I care" ...sad.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Actually I mean the trust fund babies as a allegory for the way we as a society act. I live in Los Angeles. One of the biggest sources of frustration to a large population of angelenos IS these selfish, narcissistic, aloof, constantly staring in the mirror type of kids who have insulant little lives, where the most important thing in the world is seemingly the least important thing to the rest of the rational world. the choice of trendy clothes is more important than the choice of morals decency or propriety. it's very immature and petty.

Now the rest of the world sees our obsessions with trivial stupid things and see us with the same distain that we see spoiled brats. except we as a society are spoiled brats concerned with complete crap. it's sad that we focus on stupid things like celebrities.

I argue that much of the western world is largely influenced by american culture and the way it spreads to other nations and addicts them with being obsessed with nonsense and kids stuff. They look at us and go, really? thats whats important to you people. sad. I could understand if we were some backwards developing nation but were not and we are above this stupidity.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Actually I mean the trust fund babies as a allegory for the way we as a society act.

But we don't, there are segments of our society that are shallow and get everything handed to them, but since when is it okay to accept collective blame? How can we truly measure how we act as a society?? I know I don't act like a trust fund baby, I work with what I have and I appreciate it. I simply won't allow myself to be unfairly compared to something I'm not, and we as Americans should all feel that way. I'm sure you're not like that either, why would we accept blame for a very small percentage of our population?

I live in Los Angeles.

I'm in the next major city over, almost an extension of your city, everything that happens in LA happens here a week later (except earthquakes, lol).

Now the rest of the world sees our obsessions with trivial stupid things and see us with the same distain that we see spoiled brats. except we as a society are spoiled brats concerned with complete crap. it's sad that we focus on stupid things like celebrities.

Again, they ALL do. HOW can they look down on us, for the same things they are just as guilty of??

I argue that much of the western world is largely influenced by american culture and the way it spreads to other nations and addicts them with being obsessed with nonsense and kids stuff. They look at us and go, really? thats whats important to you people. sad.

I'm really confused, they allow themselves to be influenced by us, emulate us, and act the same way as a whole, yet STILL hate us? For what? For tempting them with our shallow lifestyles? They have NO room to talk out one end of their asses, while dressing the other end in american clothes and worshipping their own celebrities the same.

I could understand if we were some backwards developing nation but were not and we are above this stupidity.

Backwards developing nations don't have the luxury to choose what to concern themselves with, eating is pretty much the first and only priority most of the time. Yet, even backwards nations get all worked up over soccer (football, whatever), and they still worship those who are higher up the social chain (look at how N Koreans worship Lil Kim). Maybe it's just human nature, it's been that way long before the US was even dreamed of.

That said, I should make it clear that personally, I have NO interest in any of the pop culture BS. But it's not my place to make everybody share my interests. Maybe the key is to become a celebrity, then people will share your interests just because, lol. Keep playing the bass, be the next Les Claypool and you can use music to spread your message...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
When we realize that the Mainstream Media is a giant, interconnected faction or corporation (kind of like the mafia in a sense), whose main purpose is profit, we can begin to understand why they do the things they do.
For example, it's not important to them to report the whole truth. If it's not in their best interest to report on something that's otherwise important, they will not. It's just that simple, they have no obligation to report anything other than that what makes them more profits.
Business as usual.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Yes you are absolutely right. Research birth control / estrogen in the water.

And to boot our laws are pro women and anti male.

I am a "paternal grand ma" whose son raised his daughter the first year of life and then the court award "the baby" to the mom even though she was not the better of the two parents.

Start researching how many children are awarded to the mother.

It's about 80% and not because men are not the better parent.

If you are a white male you are screwed legally as far as legal rights to your child.

Been there done that.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You're falling into the trap they've set for you.

It isn't the American covers that are dumbed down.

It is the international covers which are a ruse. What, do you think Malaysia and Honduras and Russia and Niger have a better access to information, a better understanding of the truth than Americans?

Newsweek isn't trying to dumb it down for Americans, they're trying to foment hatred of America by citizens of other countries. That is the easy target.

Remember, these issues went out during the Bush years.

This isn't to defend George Bush, but he wanted everyone to follow an American leadership.

The media-- and the current Administration-- want the America to join a New World Order.

The covers for Newsweek this week are examples:

American Newsweek cover

European edition-- "Dispelling The Myth Of Eurabia"

The conspiracy has never been for the America to take over the world. The conspiracy has always been to weaken America sufficiently to allow a handful to do as they please with everything else.

there will be more

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Achilles Outlaw]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
They pander to their market - Americans are not intelligent enough to digest considered news - guff is about all they can handle.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Current events are too much for our "puny American brains" I guess
that hurts my pride.. sort of....
Pfft...

Edit: oh, the post above said the same thing

[edit on 7/14/09 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
They pander to their market - Americans are not intelligent enough to digest considered news - guff is about all they can handle.

And from which country do you hail? Hopefully one that doesn't have "guff" of it's own to keep the masses busy, or else you'd be a hypocrite. Perhaps you're in a country where making baseless, sweeping generalizations is considered intelligent.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
It's sad how they always set the muslim image to where people see them as villains. That time magazine shows a muslim with a "rawr" face and an RPG launcher. Like they couldn't show "losing afghanistan" with a picture of innocent muslim families (yes they have families too mass media) losing their homes because of the conflict? I'm tired of media and our culture villainizing every aspect of muslim and middle eastern culture.

It is worse than that

The truth behind the "surge" of violence in Afgahnistan

Patrick Henry said May 23, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Bashir Noorzai is one of the brothers heading the largest tribe in Afganistan. One of his other brothers may be a CIA stooge.. Bashir Noorzai was tricked into coming to the United States, he was told he would receive an award from then president Bush. He was wined and dined at an expensive hotel for two weeks and then at the direction of the head of the DEA, handcuffs were snapped on him. He was the man responsible for bringing to the allied forces in Afganistan trucks filled with their most feared weapon – Stinger Missiles…

The operation to get him to come to the us was assisted by a shadowy entity known as Rosetta. There are pictures and signed receipts for hookers and cash paid to a Pakistani diplomat, and a Land Rover as a gift… yes there were even signed receipts for “blowjobs”…yes, you read that right, blowjobs…and yes, the pakistani diplomat would count as “bribery of a Foreign government Official… a felony..FCPA.

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act

When the Judge started asking too many questions the feds changed their prosecutors 3 times, each time switching to a younger and less saavy prosecutor who would not have to lie to evade the judicial questioning in chambers.

When Noorzai was arrested he was placed in a cell without windows so he could not face East to pray towards Mecca.

This is now the BIG WIN for the head of US DEA…and may have been the factor (the timing was the same) that created the “Surge” against allied troops by infuriating the largest clan in Afganistan. A clan of green eyed mountain men…who grow the only crop that will grow on that arid wasteland… All by violation of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

A NY Post article 10 months ago or so was written by a guy who was under indictment by the Feds for something else. So he may have slanted his article as directed. The real criminals govern us. Who has the authority on this Earth to make one of G-d’s creations illegal?

Patrick Henry
LINK

[edit on 14-7-2009 by seataka]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
To the OP...

You're not telling us anything that we're not already aware of. If you want to make an impact, send this post to Newsweek or any of our mainstream media and explain to them why you think that they are pathetic. You're preaching to the choir here.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Its like this... -> "Upcoming news story tonight: The Taliban bombed a village occupied by U.S. Troops killing at least 20 soldiers and injuring 33 more, but first let's look at monkeys with their newborn baby cuddling at a zoo while making cute remarks and talk about Obama's dog for 50 minutes then we'll spend the last 10 minutes on current events k? AFTER THE BREAK!"

To think that isn't far from the truth...

*facepalm

[edit on 7/15/09 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It reminds me of the 'text HOTT to 11111" commercials that are on 24-7 I always wonder who is so damn stupid/desperate to do that...
People always eat up whatever is new/trendy/exciting.

In my industry Budweiser beer just came out with Lime flavour... and it sells out and I get people asking every day IS IT IN? and they freak out because it always sells out. I tell them its nothing special... and they look at me like Im a criminal. In fact I used the metaphor of the simpsons episode, where Barbie gets a new cheap 10 cent hat, and everyone goes nuts for it... and only one person got the reference

Thats advertising for ya

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

You do realize that Britain is in it worse than we are right? Just because you are angry at the government does not mean the concept of freedom is wrong.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
Thought you all might enjoy this, it's really quite sad.

Baseball101, please take that damned skeletal kid picture down. That is a horrible pic.
The children WILL suffer for the sins of their parents, and I have nothing to do with it and I can do nothing about it.
Please remove it. It is obscene.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Being an American, I've personally witnessed on several occasions in my life, the media going after our government and their actions, and I've watched them squirm and get totally pissed off that the media was causing so much trouble for them. If going after the government became more profitable, they would be on them like a pit bull.

This is the unfortunate truth. The majority of Americans do care more about American Idol, and "Branjolina"(Jesus #ing christ I want to puke after typing that "word") than they do wars. Makes money much more quickly. Goto your local grocery store and watch the soccer moms line up and rip magazines with "John and Kate + 8 !!!1!!1" off the shelves. It simply makes cash. The media isn't there to inform you anymore, it's there to make money. Back in Benjamin Franklins day the media served a purpose, which it still serves: But only when it's in the medias best interest.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join