It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Zoo May Close, Euthanize Hundreds of Animals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I've got an idea. Instead of killing the animals that have done no wrong why don't we start executing the thousands of violent criminals we have clogging up the prisons across the country and sponging off the taxpayer. Kill them off and we will save millions that can then be used to care for our furry friends. Hell, we can even feed the prisoners corpses to the carnivores and save money on the feed bill...

Sounds like a great plan to me

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Update: Tonight's news, gov of Mass says no animals will be euthanized.

news.bostonherald.com...=home&position=also

But he hasn't yet identified funding.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Probably send them to animal refuge organizations.

Either that or some organization like the WWF or otherwise is donating money or will partner up. They partnered with Bronx awhile ago.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
hopefully they will work something out so the zoo remains open.

that said, what if just some random dude lost his job and decided to euthanize his dogs he can no longer afford.

the local (possible fed too) gov. would hit him like a ton of bricks.....
it seems a-ok for a zoo to make this statement.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Although I am sad for the animals who have to be put to sleep, at least their suffering will be coming to an end. Animals in zoos suffer miserable lives. Animals don't belong behind bars.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by faulconandsnowjob]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
zoos suck anyway
just prison for animals GG voyeuristic society

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I know exactly what you mean Raven, I cannot stand to see caged animals myself, it's just wrong. I went to a zoo once when I was a child, and it upset me so bad, I couldn't or didn't want to see the whole thing, the first few animals were enough to break my heart. We don't need zoos! I cannot stand to see a 'petstore', poor little puppies and kittens caged up, waiting to be sold! I worked with the Humane Society for years, and have very strong opinions about pet ownership because of it. Very few people can really handle it. As far as these poor animals in this zoo, I think it is disgusting. To bring them here, domesticate them, then kill them is inhuman.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

How much did we waste on the military alone in the past couple years again? Yeah...

Excellent observation Jom.

Tell me where a society puts it's money and I'll tell you what kind of society it is.

What's more the trillions of dollars went towards a war we were out and out lied to (WMD) as well as manipulated into.

Sad news. But maybe these animals will find freedom and peace at last.

I don't like going to zoos because the animals give off such sad vibes. When you look into their eyes, most of them are not happy.

Would you be happy in a little cage, never being allowed any freedom?

Some of these animals in their natural state roam hundreds of miles at a crack.

Mankind is improving but we still have a ways to go in so far as our empathy towards the other citizens of this planet.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I think it is disgusting. To bring them here, domesticate them, then kill them is inhuman.

Starred your excellent post.

You are right it is down right disgusting. This shows mankinds disregard and lack of respect for the other citizens of it's planet.

Now, a good Twilight Episode would be a group of caged humans in a galaxtic zoo having that zoo "budget cut" and those "humans" having to be euthanized.

Food for thought.

So many people just can't empathize with the other citizens of this planet.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
We could always put our money where our mouth is and DONATE some dollars to the Zoo.
Another better option is for the Zoo to start an adoption programme where a few sponsors pay for the upkeep of their adopted animal and get special privileges like outside hours tours, photos up close with their adoptee etc.

It works quite well in a lot of other places who have faced budget cuts.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
As I read this thread I am reminded of the term "Zoochosis" which as many of you may know is when animals in zoos go nuts because they are in such an alien environment. Their nervous systems are not adjusted (or adjustable) to steel and concrete...this is what you see when a lot of animals pace back and forth, or scratch compulsively at something, etc. A rather disturbing fact to me is that beavers begin to build "phantom dams" if they are kept in captivity long enough: They go "fetch" imaginary sticks from thin air and "pile them up" to make an invisable dam.

It has also occurred to me that humans, too, are living in such a profoundly artificial world now that we are also exhibting the same kinds of behaviors...We spent 99% of the last 1 million years or so roving the savannah in packs of 20 or less...settled agriculture started 10,000 years ago, or 1% of that time. Our nervous systems have barely gotten used to that, nevermind the halogen-lit, computerized world of the last few decades. Excellerated evolution but can we cope? I think our minds are melting down from the stress...lots of obsessive-compulsivity going around these days, lots of raw psycosis, other dysfunctions. And in many ways the imaginary "dams" we create to enrap ourselves in are far more terrifying and horrific than anything the beavers do. The entire global political and economic system, for example, is essentially a vast consensual hallucination no different ontologically from an imaginary beaver dam.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Here here! That would be a great episode! It might show the real plight of these animals, through our own eyes!

I just feel we don't have the right to 'own' them, period.

I disagree too with those who say it is better to kill them than to set them free. Again, this is because of my stint with the Humane Society, but, I feel that they have the right to at least try to survive, hell they might do well, we don't know, cause we always kill them to save them from what we did! I don't think all thier instincts are gone though. Euthansia is a very personal way to kill an animal. It is not like it just happens, a vein must be sought, the animal is calmed and reasured, usually just to keep them still enough to administer the drug, and the death is not always quick, most cats will live for several minutes before convulsing. I don't even want to think how much it would take to put down a giraffe, or monkeys, God!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Star for you, if I could I would give you 100 stars for that analogy if I could! Honestly, what you are saying is so true to these times.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Duh, don't euthanize them. Put them into the hundreds of wildlife refuges and preservations specifically for this sort of thing. There are tons located in the USA, especially in places like Texas and Florida. There are also many zoos and even some resarch centers (observation research, not pins and needles) that will take in animals in these situations.

That and the fact that many countries like Spain have recently expanded their zoos and aquariums and would probably help out.

Boo.

It makes me sick how quick people are to kill animals. I mean, even if they crap in their house once!
My aunt was basically saying how her husband wanted to shoot their cat shamelessly because he had a spraying problem. I didn't want to be related to her at that moment ...

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by silent thunder

we cant give a few thousand to one of the most important institutions of humanity...

I will never understand this view. How is the enslavement and torture of wild animals an important institution for humanity?

Why do we still have to act like ignorant Victorians gawking at all the "strange and mysterious" beasts from far-off lands when you find any information about that animal you may want at the stroke of a key?

Jon

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The whole concept of a zoo proves humans do not deserve to exist. Humans kill animals for sport and recreation, will abandon one in a heartbeat if the animal becomes an inconvienence or burden, or lock them up and let them be no different than inanimate objects in a museum. This story is further proof our time here is almost at an end. I feel sick now but thank you anyways OP. Maybe this attention will bring about a different outcome for these innocent forms of LIFE.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is disgusting...

The animals should be donated to other zoos or advertisements should be placed on the zoo website for respectful owners or given to sanctuaries or anything...

But don't kill them....

(i'll have the Lizards)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Did anyone read my post where I said that the Mass. Governor said no euthanizations will take place?

Is it easier to rail on about killing animals? That was shown to be an unfounded decision to begin with. No basis in fact.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join