It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tacos restaurant for kissing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tacos restaurant for kissing

www.elpasotimes.com

De Leon said the officer told the group it was illegal for two men or two women to kiss in public. The five men, he said, were told they could be cited for homosexual conduct -- a law the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional in 2003 in Lawrence v. Texas.

That same year, the El Paso City Council approved an ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation by businesses open to the public.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Oh boy...

This could cause some serious ripples.

This will likely be a case that goes up to the highest levels. It will depend on who is 'believed' in this particular case, in relevance to details. While the restaurant has the right to refuse service, if the guards really did say those things, as well as the responding officers, this could get real ugly.

I have a feeling that the 'authorities' will try to sweep this under the carpet abruptly though.

www.elpasotimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm okay with people being gay, but come on. There's no need of them kissing in the middle of a restaurant.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Are you kidding? So I guess they should make heterosexual kissing illegal too... I mean come ON!

This is ridiculous. The restaurant should be sued.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I always love this logic: It's ok to be gay as long as you stay in the closet.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
so? this has happened to me a few times. what's the big freaking deal? why is this news? damn i demand to go back in time and be on the news! robbed again.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What the? I will never understand the hatred for gay couples. Having a Gay freind I've known since I was a toddler most likely swayes my opinion, but I really wish this discrimination would end.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Why don't you just look the other way if it bothers you this much?
I really don't see your problem.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Bullhorn]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Okay, it SHOULD be the same as if a hetero couple were kissing. But it isn't, we as a society are still uncomfortable with it, our children would be too.

There have been a lot of advances by the gay and lesbian community on the issue of their rights. This falls under that, but I think they need to advance their cause in increments, and I'm sorry, mainstream society isn't comfortable with public displays of gay affection at the moment.

This may result in more damage to their cause than good.

Of course it is wrong for them not to be able to show affection, but society has just got used to the idea of seeing gay couples walking hand in hand, pathetic I know, but that is where we are at the moment, trying to force this issue will seriously backfire I feel.

When trying to argue against a stubborn and hostile foe, it's sometimes better to lead them by the hand slowly, rather than pull them kicking and screaming.

Good luck to them anyway.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
While some people doesn't find anything wrong with signs of affection between two human beings been females or males.

Society is not ready for open and spread shows of affection between couples of the same sex.

Hell is been a number of instances that cities has been working hard with bills to even make shows of affections between heterosexual couples illegal in public.

But in this case in the OP, the couple have plenty of ammunition to follow a law sue base on the law already established.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
oh. i see. it's a big deal because they were GAY. ahh....that's why i didn't make the news for getting kicked out.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Is there a chance they were playing tonsil hockey like the plane was going down? I doubt a love peck on the cheek or lips would get much attention.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
In my opinion, gay or not, there is nothing wrong with a simple kiss in public. If you don't want to see it, stop looking. The only time I'm ever bothered by behaviour like this, is when they get a little carried away. Kissing is fine but save the hot and heavy stuff for the bedroom.

It's outragous that this gay couple simply kissing became such a contraversial thing. I've seen gay couples kiss many times. No charges were ever filed. A few dirty or awkward looks maybe by some of the people around (AKA; 'victims', I suppose, according to this account).

And this happenned in Texas? Hmmm. Well Texas better be carefull lest they get a reputation as a state of hillbillies and backwards hicks who refuse to join the 21st century......Oh wait.....Never mind.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

De Leon said the officer told the group it was illegal for two men or two women to kiss in public.

This is silly, because Texas law never categorized kissing as a sexual act.

On the other hand, there's nothing illegal about the business stating that they don't like to see men kissing. Current U.S. civil right laws only prohibits discrimination based on "race, color, national origin, religion and sex." The law says nothing about lifestyle choices.

www.law.cornell.edu...

There's nothing illegal about the actions of the business in this story. They didn't need to quote any laws. They can just say "we don't like your behavior". If they feel it disturbs the rest of their guests, then they have every right as a business to protect their business interests as long as they're not showing discrimination towards the categories mentioned above.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I am a supporter of gay and lesbian rights,gnl) so this will sound strange coming from me. But many members of the g&l agree with me on this...

The problem is that movement for acceptence for gnl has been a little too fast. ONly 20 years ago it was really taboo. You can't go from completelly taboo to marriage in 2 decades.There are some people still revolting from the civil liberties movement.

You have to give people time to adjust and accept. You can't go from outright un acceptence to putting it on tv to accepting public affection in a short period of time without backlash.

The process needs to be slowed down.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
One word. TEXAS.

They execute mentally handicapped people in Texas.

Ignorance of the law is something you expect from citizens. The cops should know better. Fire 'em.

I usually don't kiss my wife in the middle of a restaurant...I think it's just a little weird. The army used to have rules against it as well. (PDA)

I don't think anyone should have to stay in the 'closet' but I think it's certainly ok to show a little restraint and refrain from swapping slobber and playing tongue swords in a restaurant.

Is their love and lust for each other so overwhelming that they couldn't wait a few minutes to make out in the car or something?

[edit on 10-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I bet they wouldn't have complained if the kissers were women?
and besides in some foreign countries ( think its Turkey or somewhere , I've been down the pub , had a few beers and can't remember) its ok for men to not only kiss to show affection or say goodbye / hello but to also hold hands in public, FFS get over yourselves, if they were tugging each other off then fine, prosecute them but kissing?
suppose you saw a grandparent kissing their grandchild, would you prosecute them for being a paedophile?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
In my opinion, gay or not, there is nothing wrong with a simple kiss in public. If you don't want to see it, stop looking. The only time I'm ever bothered by behaviour like this, is when they get a little carried away. Kissing is fine but save the hot and heavy stuff for the bedroom.

It's outragous that this gay couple simply kissing became such a contraversial thing. I've seen gay couples kiss many times. No charges were ever filed. A few dirty or awkward looks maybe by some of the people around (AKA; 'victims', I suppose, according to this account).

And this happenned in Texas? Hmmm. Well Texas better be carefull lest they get a reputation as a state of hillbillies and backwards hicks who refuse to join the 21st century......Oh wait.....Never mind.

I would bet they were doing a bit more than a simple kiss. In public places it is improper and rude, to give much more than a greeting type kiss. Any prolonged locking of the lips is a lack of respect no whether you are a straight or a gay couple. I think this manager was well within his rights. Get a room already.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I agree if that's what it was. But that's not the impression I got from the article and the article is all I have to go on. As I said, hot and heavy is inapropriate. A little smooch is fine. I have no trouble giving my wife little kisses when we're out in public. Nobody around us seems to care either.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I think we should let homosexuals do whatever they want. Get married, make out in public, have sex in public, make babies with whatever body part they can scrape a little DNA from... Anything. We have repressed them for years so now its there time to shine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join