It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tens of thousands of South Korean computers set to self-destruct on Friday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Tens of thousands of South Korean computers set to self-destruct on Friday

news.bnonews.com

SEOUL (BNO NEWS) -- Ten of thousands of virus-contaminated personal computers in South Korea are programmed to "self-destruct" on Friday, government officials warn.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wow...Could this be true?

I would think that is a pretty big attack right? Destruct 20,000 computers with this virus. Is it possible that this virus is also planted in the computers they hacked in the US government?

I am no genius in the hacking field or what could happen but I think if they could take down our goverment computer with a virus, bad things may happen.

news.bnonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It may be time for some people to back their stuff on to external drives and buy a mac. Otherwise just fear mongering, remember y2k? If anything the computer won't blow up but just fizzle out and die, or death by pop up windows that won't close.

Oh and take a look at the bottom of the page.

That is twitter rearing it's ugly face once again.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

actually you can remotly make the computer oveheat and set the harddrive on fire. It is entirely possible.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12

That is twitter rearing it's ugly face once again.

I know what you mean about twitter in general but I find BNO news to be very reputable. I would love to hear if anyone has anything bad to say about them. I cant really remember seeing them put out any false info, but I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
BNO is very reliable and breaks news using twitter but if you check them out they have been very good in releasing new stories.

I have no doubt this is legit. It is citing a report out of the South Korean news.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingfanpaul

Well the whole point being that if they knew that there was a virus made that was going to destroy computers then why couldn't or wouldn't they stop it from happening?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

actually you can remotly make the computer oveheat and set the harddrive on fire. It is entirely possible.

For Pete's sake. Are you serious?

That is perhaps the most humorous thing I have ever heard.

Hmm...let me see if, with my limited computer knowledge, I can hypothesize about how one would accomplish this.....

ok, so they send a virus to your computer, have it turn off the processor fan, or the case fan and this causes some sort of catastrophic buildup of heat that catches your harddrive on fire. What if it's water cooled?

...or maybe they overclock your cpu?

...make your Harddrive spin at 500,000 RPM instead of 7200?

I'm just not seeing it man. Luckily, I don't think I'll need to be calling you when my computer catches on fire.

Please don't spread hogwash. There's enough of it already.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12

Well the whole point being that if they knew that there was a virus made that was going to destroy computers then why couldn't or wouldn't they stop it from happening?

Are you positive that they are not trying to find a way to stop it?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

actually there are ways to do this, certainly with servers, you send enough power to them it literally fries them and all the networks etc that are attached to it.

wether the machine will explode it another matter but you can certainly make one short circuit

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Thanks, I was about to post the same thing. I remember hearing a kid say once that he wrote a virus you could never get rid of because it hid in the cmos battery. Some people will believe anything if they don't know.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia

actually there are ways to do this, certainly with servers, you send enough power to them it literally fries them and all the networks etc that are attached to it.

wether the machine will explode it another matter but you can certainly make one short circuit

That's kinda of what I was thinking but I don't know enough about it so I just kept it to myself. Did not want to look like a fool

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Really, and just how do send power to them? US Mail? Internet email? Come'on. Maybe you just put prongs on your network rj45 and plug it in the wall.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

its done through something similar to hacking etc ever heard of ddosing? it works similar to that, its done via codes you send via commands by the *hacker* . you can believe it or dont hun obviously it does sound far fetched to those that havnt worked with this kind of thing or known people that has.

all i know is that it can be done.

anyways back on topic of the self destructing computers lol, its highly plausible imo a program can be created with commands and entered into the computers basic programing either via the warehouse or through other means that will shut down the said computer, as i have stated previously wether the computers will literally blow up is another matter but short circuit the chipboard's i could believe

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

it is very possible, not many people can do it though.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Originally posted by ronishia

Omigod. Send them enough power? Fries all the networks that are attached to it?

A lightning strike can kill a machine. So can an emp. But 'sending them enough power'? Ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

HAHAHA! That is utter BS..

I work with computers and I can tell you that is a lie...
As far as the original post, just like other scary warnings in the past this too will be a disappointment. The bark will be much worse than the bite.

Can a computer get shorted out -Yes
Can someone remotly make your hard drive catch on fire -NO

Can a organised bunch of people get together and do a distributed denial-of-service attack on targeted computers -Yes

Will the world end - NO!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

what more ridiculous as underwater super highways or captured aliens, or alien crop circles, or the world ending in 2012?
Just because you don't understand something it doesn't mean that it cant happen.

you might not believe this could happen but i know it can be done and there no point in going back and forward tit for tat on the matter lol, you have your belief i have mine

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
To be honest I don't think they are saying the computers will blow or be fried. Sounds like they will just erase all files.

If you click the link to the story the last sentence reads "The report said the virus has been programmed to automatically destroy the computer's stored data starting Friday. "

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

so its ur basic run of the mill virus, that works like a Trojan/worm it sits until the sender activates it remotely or it has an activation time for whatever function it is designed for. In this case deleting all data from your pc

[edit on 033131p://50073 by ronishia]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join