It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Baffled by Land Uplifted in Alaska - Nothing to Explain it

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Intriguing. If it is not the effects of any terrestrial phenomenon, then perhaps the effects of a body in space with a high gravitational field passing by? If a body in space with a high gravitational field could travel quickly and with no restrictions, it could, theoretically, have upset Neptune's orbit and now be approaching Earth. It could, also, be a harbinger of the Nibiru doomsday scenario. I'm only theorizing, of course.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There really is only one logical explanation... Mainstream science is wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Sorry, had to delete post. I gotta stop letting people get to me so much.

**just move along, Anya. Move along**

[edit on 9-7-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaraThustra
There really is only one logical explanation... Mainstream science is wrong.

There is only one logical explanation: await a proper geological study.

But those who reject science will no doubt invent ideas or their own. And the more supernatural the better, eh?

Can anyone prove it wasn't the mutant space goat?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

There's a transformer down there trying to get out!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The bottom line is that whatever the reason it totally throws a wrench into the accepted main stream scientific belief that it takes millions of years for events like this to occur and THAT is whats freaking the scientists out.

No, because mainstream science says such things happen all the time. It's only the kooks who make things up as they go who think its unusual

You'll be saying next that submarine volcanoes don't produce new islands or that cutting down trees doesn't affect rainfall and increase flooding!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Do you suppose Niburu is responsible for all land formations on earth? Just think about it?

Sorry, I'm in an odd mood today.

The part of the story being ignored by the Niburu crowd -

Ed Berg, a naturalist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Kenai, visited the site Sunday. He said at first he thought the uplift could have been earthquake related. The west-northwest to east-southeast orientation of the uplift cuts across known earthquake faults that run southwest-northeast.

Bretwood Higman, a Seldovia geologist with a Ph.D. from the University of Washington, Seattle, speculated that the uplift could have been caused by reactivation of a 9,000 to 12,000-year-old landslide of Bluff Point. The ancient landslide would have eroded into the current bench below the Bluff Point cliffs.

“It must have been a long time ago. It all had been beveled off into a nicely sloping beach,” Berg said.

According to “Bluff Point Landslide: A Massive Rock Failure near Homer, Alaska,” a 1979 paper by Dick Reger, a geologist with the Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, a 1.5-mile long landslide below the cliffs running below Baycrest Hill happened sometime after the last glaciation, perhaps 9,000 to 12,000 years ago. Wood found in the landslide has been carbon dated at about 1,500 years old, Reger wrote.

I also know for a fact that there were warnings against building there and on the hill above Homer due to these worries. In Homer's case, an entire town could be buried.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

YES! A little scientific dissent. This jumped into my head right when I read the headline.

Expanding earth

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Great post....Im going with this idea...seems to fit. The only other one I would sugest is a magna pocket forming.

The only thing about the video I don't agree on is the time frame...I feel that this has all happened in the last 20,000 years. I dont buy the theory that this took 80 million years just for the simple fact of all the fossil work I have done in the past 15 years dosen't add up to what is being taught in schools.

So now I need to think about this one for a while.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Who said anywhere anything about any "spacegoats"?...

You have been caught several times in the past dismissing science for the more pseudo-science of anthropogenic Global Warming, so who exactly are you to be laughing about what some other members have to say?....

I don't think for one second such a localized event could be the result of a dark companion to the Sun, but then again there is ample evidence to sugest something is physically affecting the planets, comets, and even satellites, and there is ample evidence to corroborate this.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
As a matter of interest, would the OP have gotten so many stars had this been discussed as a serious geological curiosity? I'm guessing no. A sad reflection IMO on the people who visit ATS

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This focus on gravity could be a very important link to how fossils are gradually covered in earths crusts. Since a building layer of crust over ancient artifacts would conflict with the notion that the Earth's diameter is limited by the rotational escape velocity of it's outer most crust. It's average diameter set to that of equilibrium to centrifugal forces.

If the crust is too high, it's rotational velocity could create a tension between it's pull from gravity and the centrifugal forces acting on it.

How can there be millions and millions of layers of crust in the grand canyon if the earth wasn't growing by large amounts?

The more matter the Earth deposits onto it's upper crust, the more Dense it's core becomes due to increased gravity. The larger the central density of an object has, the faster it's rotational velocity becomes. Isn't that correct? Like an ice skater spinning and bringing in her arms.

So perhaps the ratio of Earth's core density and it's centrifugal forces are starting to lean to one side. Where rotational forces are slowly building up, beyond the crusts ability to maintain it's magnetic clench to the lower layers.

If that is what is happening, then we could very well be witnessing EArth's revision of it's size, and we will suffer the atmospheric effects that will have on the surface.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by juzchilln]

[edit on 9-7-2009 by juzchilln]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

OT but AGW has been mainstream science for nearly 200 years. Accepting it might be real is a bit like accepting evolution and that the earth is more than 6,000 years old
Although my own thoughts on the issue of climate change do not accord with current mainstream (especially media and political) views.

Anyway, we don't need to disagree on everything do we?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by juzchilln

Wouldn't it be very horrific to find out the earths layers are starting to peel up and fling away into space.

After 4,600,000,000 years they just happen to do it just as a species finally evolves which is capable or wiping out all other life in earth ..... hmmm poetic justice or Gaia getting rid of an unwanted parasite?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The earth did not grow and is not growing. The tectonic plates are subsiding at a number of fault lines. Elsewhere, such as in the middle of the Atlantic, new ocean floor is being created. The continents are located on these plates and move as these plates do. That video is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. If you took a single university-level geology class you would see how simple plate tectonics is.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Last I knew, ATS was a place for people to come to discuss ALTERNATIVE news, issues, and theories. What was supposed to be so great about this place was that it was supposed to be a place where people could discuss these issues without ridicule.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Im surprised no one has linked this collapse to this phenomena :

news.softpedia.com...

Maybe this humming earth had something to do with the collapse!

I dont really think so and it probably was the old landslide theory but still.........

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The bottom line is that whatever the reason it totally throws a wrench into the accepted main stream scientific belief that it takes millions of years for events like this to occur and THAT is whats freaking the scientists out.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that "mainstream science" doesn't have an explanation.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You mean the land is rising after all that ice melts.....?
B-b-b-b-ut, al the experts are saying that all the ice melt was going to cause the sea level to rise????

Here is an article about the event that happened about 12,000 years ago.
When Earth Nearly Died

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

So, Niburu causes ONLY a 1000ft spot of land to rise 20ft in Alaska and that is the only effect it has on Earth?

BS.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join