It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Baffled by Land Uplifted in Alaska - Nothing to Explain it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaintedJustice
NASA Details Earthquake Effects on the Earth

NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

They also found the earthquake decreased the length of day by 2.68 microseconds. Physically this is like a spinning skater drawing arms closer to the body resulting in a faster spin. The quake also affected the Earth's shape. They found Earth's oblateness (flattening on the top and bulging at the equator) decreased by a small amount. It decreased about one part in 10 billion, continuing the trend of earthquakes making Earth less oblate.

maybe just maybe this is an after effect of that .. as it effected the world as a whole .. dunno just my thoughts ..

www.nasa.gov...

You know, I remember first seeing this after the quake in '04 and wondering deep down whether the earthquake caused these changes, or whether the earthquake was a result of these changes.

I personally believe that earthquake was the result of a change in the earths rotation, pole shift, and day length change...not the other way around. Dont ask me to support it...its just one of those gut things

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Wow, I love your threads.. Stange though 5 pages and no one has accused you of fear mongering yet. Guess it must be a slow day. Thanks again for yet another great post.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh this is so easy to explain, I have not looked at the data!

1st possibilty
Since the last ice age and the retreat of the 3.5km thick ice pack, its huge weight forced the crust down into the soft mantle, when the ice retreats, the squashed area will slowly rise, for years in Scandinavia, they saw the sea level change, it wasnt the sea level but the crust that had shifted.

trust me its nothing to worry about, earth is constantly changing.

Did you know the Himalaya's do act like a slow moving syrup that will change over time?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

excellent video!!!! I never have even heard of this 'theory' before! When I saw this.. my first thought was ..

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. And the sea no longer is.
MKJV~ the Holy Bible

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wow!!! Niburu

Come on folks. I go to Homer all of the time. They are even concerned the entire hillside above Homer will come down one day. That land is unstable rubble.

The article mentions the historical landslide at the same location.

Whatever happened to critical thinking and common sense?

I have a sign that says "Logic is Dead" I bought years ago on my wall. It just gets more true as time goes by.

Interesting stuff gets no notice or flags or stars and nonsense gets all of this weird attention? I miss the old ATS. I really do.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In answer to "Nothing to explain it". Read the article. It mentions the historic landslide which will end up being the explanation. This is not even unusual.

ATS is becoming a storage house for fiction and wild uninformed speculation. Not a single post by anyone who did any fact finding.

Over the years I've read many local articles about the landslide worries in that area. It appears they were right is all that is happening here.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OMG ITS ATLANTIS! I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this and as soon as TPTB find a decent lie we shall be informed. So go on about your lives. This an everyday anomalie

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OMG ITS ATLANTIS! I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this and as soon as TPTB find a decent lie we shall be informed. So go on about your lives. This an everyday anomalie

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's funny that you posted this and mentioned the web-bot. I was just thinking that, so far, they haven't really hit much. They said people would change their fashion and start wearing masks. I know everyone looked to the swine flew, however, it's not that great of a hit. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is that people would lose confidence in mid-June. Well, maybe.... even, if they had right around that date, anybody could have predicted that people would be losing faith this year around that time. Otherwise, I'll have to go back and look but I remember looking a few weeks ago and nothing had been a hit. Obviously, the big stuff is supposed to start happening at the end of August. So, there's still time. However, as the web-bot is supposed to pick the future up almost as newspaper headlines, I do not remember anything about North Korea or a Revolution in Iran.

By the way, this land moving thing is pretty crazy.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well it probably happened due to the recent sunspots reported on here as fact when they never happened... getting a lot of people upset and scared. I was only upset because I knew it was hogwash and reported as truth.

Or it could be that the uplift of land never happened, only being the imagination of someone who went to the wrong section of "beach" and thought it had been "uplifted".

Since there is absolutely no way of knowing whether anything on here is truthful or not...I just have to conclude that it is all pure fantasy and treat it as such.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I am not saying this is the exact reason for it, but this is one of the reasons why in the past there have been similar rapid uplifts in areas of Alaska.

doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2005.06.032

Copyright © 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Rapid viscoelastic uplift in southeast Alaska caused by post-Little Ice Age glacial retreat

Christopher F. Larsen, , Roman J. Motyka, Jeffrey T. Freymueller, Keith A. Echelmeyer and Erik R. Ivins1

Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 903 Koyukuk Dr, Fairbanks, Ak 99775, United States

Received 16 March 2005; revised 17 June 2005; accepted 27 June 2005. Editor: S. King. Available online 8 August 2005.

Abstract

Our observations show that extreme uplift in southeast Alaska began about 1770 AD, with relative sea level (RSL) change to 5.7 m and current uplift rates to 32 mm/yr. This region experienced widespread glacial melting following the Little Ice Age (LIA), with the collapse of the Glacier Bay Icefield alone equivalent to 8 mm of global sea level rise. Geodynamic modelling links the uplift to post-LIA isostatic rebound, with the extreme uplift signal and a priori knowledge of ice load changes requiring the presence of a low viscosity asthenosphere (3.7 × 1018 Pa s). These crustal deformations are triggered by climate change through glacier wastage.

Keywords: glacier rebound; glacial isostatic adjustment; Glacier Bay Alaska; glacial wastage; Little Ice Age; sea level variations; mantle viscosity

[url=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V61-4GTVYTK-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchSt rId=953028498&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d9a174ba524ed7f5bfafb2a99dc7065f]www.sciencedirect.com[/url ]

Humm, don't know why the BB code is not working for the link.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by max.is.awake

Why would Geologists even bother to lie about this. Silly to even think so
There would no reason to even suspect anyone would lie about this except to support fantasies.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

People on this site love fairy tales and science fiction. So do I, I'll admit...however, I know what common sense is.

This website lacks it.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I looked into buying land on the hillside above this area a few years ago. One thing that stopped me is that at any time, geologically speaking, that whole thing could come down in a landslide. There is speculation they should not even be building. A wet summer and it could come down.

I don't think this is much of a mystery. Just a normal event of interest to those who live there and geologists for them to explain.

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Be not discouraged. There are plenty of level headed people on ATS looking into valid topics. You just have to read around the nonsense and you will find many of the unflagged, unpopular posts contain gems.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Be not discouraged. There are plenty of level headed people on ATS looking into valid topics. You just have to read around the nonsense and you will find many of the unflagged, unpopular posts contain gems.

Well of course. There are plenty of intelligent individuals that are on here. However, we're just plagued by those who refuse to look for any further into something and just declare "IT CANNOT BE EXPLAINED!" or claim "ALIENS!" Sometimes things are simple and are right in front of you. Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My vote is that there is a Caldera building under the beach there.

There was some talk of a lot of magnetism, at Mount Saint Helens -- or something, I wasn't paying attention at the time.

Might be the "pimple on top of a tumor" phenomena. A Super volcano in the offing perhaps?

We also need to keep an eye on Yellowstone, because it is due.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by questioningall

Just throwing this out there

The growing earth theory (video)

www.nealadams.com...
www.nealadams.com...

Because you just never know

Wow! Could this also explain the (possible) new ocean forming in Ethiopia?

www.cbsnews.com

I have never heard the growing Earth theory but it makes a heck of a lot of sense. thanks a bunch for the info!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The bottom line is that whatever the reason it totally throws a wrench into the accepted main stream scientific belief that it takes millions of years for events like this to occur and THAT is whats freaking the scientists out.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
reply to post by Amagnon

errr, what? a black hole in the centre of the Earth? Wow, I've never heard that one before! So how is the Earth itself not being pulled in? Why would the Earth expand in such a situation? Where is the massive gravitational field which would be produced by definition If there was a black hole present? The expanding Earth theory in itself is attractive in some respects but In my opinion, what you're suggesting is ridiculous!

If you look into Nassim Haramein's work you will get a better understanding of the black hole theory. He is a physicist and is having is work peer reviewed at the moment. He believes there is a black hole at the center of EVERYTHING. He really makes a great case for it and uses physics to back all of it up.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join