It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Baffled by Land Uplifted in Alaska - Nothing to Explain it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I find it disheartening to see the posts from some members here giving mild insults to some that offer some theories that are considered outside of the so called normal box of thinking. Yet if you notice they offer no theory themselves only criticizing others who present theirs.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

Originally posted by Essan
As this thread has shifted way off into kooky sci fi land and there's clearly not going to be any chance of a serious discusion on the geological causes of this rather minor, but intriguing, event...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38f5f801e69e.jpg[/atsimg]

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. ~ John Cage (1912 - 1992)

So you ridicule Essan for pointing out a that this is not an uncommon geological event by implying HE is wearing blinders? Really?

[edit on 7/9/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The relation between solar activity and seismicity is well documented.

This is a tectonically/volcanically active region and it is reasonable to suppose that this is a natural process, possibly a volcano developing..

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would just say to fasten your seat belts and prepare!

This is only the beginning of the show.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

My thoughts exactly Delta, this, if it happened at Yellowstone, would be the indicator that magma is on the rise. I don't think that it would be some giant mystery if the same thing happens in another location, the mystery here, is why are they calling it a mystery????

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokenheadphonez
The relation between solar activity and seismicity is well documented.

This is a tectonically/volcanically active region and it is reasonable to suppose that this is a natural process, possibly a volcano developing..

Was thinking along those lines as well, Broken. I'm betting it's related to the things we're seeing in space.

That doesn't mean this is some "earth shattering" (pun intended) event, but it's intriguing to watch and study.

I think we'll see more oddities like this happen as the next couple months go on, mostly because of so long of a calm period from the sun, to now active.. lots of time for things to settle into "place", and now that things are starting to move again, the gears are grinding a little bit.

Make sense? That's how I see it, anyhow. All things relate, because all things are chained together. Some things farther distanced than others in the chain, but still linked together in the end.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Google map Location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b7aa02363b6.jpg[/atsimg]

HAARP Magnetometer data for AK:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44fa5577f728.jpg[/atsimg]

USGS recent earthquakes:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e19035d4ecad.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

It could be indicative of volcanic activity starting up; definitely not negating that possibility at all.

I would think, though, if it WAS something volcanically related, wouldn't there be indications of seismic activity in the area?

Of course, if it's something very deep in the ground, it could show up, seismically, in a different area.. but then the question would be, why did the land only display an effect in that area, and not anywhere else?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Yeah, makes total sense - web of causality..

Hmm that's pretty low latitude for AK, too.. I'm gonna find out which magnetometer is around there, this warrants further study.

This is brokenheadphonez signing off for now, and I'll be back after the usual doom and gloom and Niburu crap...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have been following earthquakes activty for2 years now, brokenheadphonez is showing a good example of DAILY activity in Alaska, to say that there are no earthquakes in the area is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

My eyes are really bad, Broken (legally blind here lol) so it's hard for me to see the earthquake map.. but am i seeing right that there'd be seismic activity in that direct spot in the last week?

Trying to make sure, lol, pardon my eyes

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Also there are a string of volcanoes in the area, Redoubt has been acting up for months, acting as though it is going to have a major eruption, then spewing up a little ash and going back to tremors. Over and over.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I didn't say there wasn't any earthquakes there lol I know alaska is a VERY active area. what I was meaning was, wouldn't we see that an earthquake happened at that area AT THE TIME that the earth shifted upwards?

I may not have stated my question correctly, for that i apologize for confusing the issue.

Corrected question then.. Was there an earthquake detected in that spot at the time that the earth was supposed to have moved? Depending on that answer, could be where the answer to the whole earth shifting upwards lies.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Workin on it..

I'll make bigger images.

Also, handy trick - if you use the Firefox browser, hold the CTRL key and scroll the mouse wheel back and forth. This will zoom.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Also there are a string of volcanoes in the area, Redoubt has been acting up for months, acting as though it is going to have a major eruption, then spewing up a little ash and going back to tremors. Over and over.

I think I remember a few articles talking about redoubt, as well as the possibility of a enw volcano altogether forming near the coast area of alaska, sometime last year.

I'll see if i can run down those articles.

Ahh what a mess that place can be lol

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok, last I heard, the land is uplifting due to melting glaciers. Take off all that weight, and the land "pops" up. Nothing weird about it.

www.nytimes.com...

Do a search and you find many other articles about this as well.

As the glaciers here melt, the land is rising, causing the sea to retreat.

Relieved of billions of tons of glacial weight, the land has risen much as a cushion regains its shape after someone gets up from a couch

Greenland and a few other places have experienced similar effects from widespread glacial melting that began more than 200 years ago, geologists say. But, they say, the effects are more noticeable in and near Juneau, where most glaciers are retreating 30 feet a year or more.

Having lived in Alaska myself for many many years, I personally watched some of these glaciers almost completely disappear. So I am not surprised that the land is responding.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I watched the video of the earth growing theory. When the earth was smaller and all the contenants were together where was all the water?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

The problem I would have with that, though I do agree that is a possibility, would be, would something like that be responsible for the earth to spike upwards 20 feet overnight? I would think something like that would be quite a bit slower, not rapid.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Great posts!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c622520a1569.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/454f4e93eaf8.jpg[/atsimg]

(my primary tools to deny ignorance? A computer with mspaint and a browser..
)

[edit on 9-7-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
.... Perhaps this is Alaska's reaction to Sarah Palin's resignation ....... rimshot !!!

.... have I been reduced to late night tv jokes ??? " mike walks away in shame"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join