It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU 'should sink immigrant boats'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Shouldn't we expect families to want to better themselves, make a better life for their families. The fact they have to travel so far under such dangerous circumstances to try and find a better life. Does that not tell you something. many of us would do the same thing, if things became that desperate.

I don't blame them for wanting a better life - I blame the government and society behind it:
Which - as I've stated above - emigration is merely a symptom of the problem.

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Its very easy for you to throw scorn on those trying to make a better life, while your sat behind your laptop in your warm safe house

So...which dying village in which Third World nation are you sending this from?

Originally posted by tezzajw
I don't want to compete with them. I would prefer to coexist with them.

Yes, I'm sure that post-60's U.S. farmworkers felt the exact same way about Central/South-American mass-migration.

Originally posted by tezzajw
Why shouldn't they want a better life? Why should the 'better life' be reserved for elitist pricks who think that they run the planet?

Why should we be blamed for using our limited resources to help ourselves first? Why are you guys repeatedly ignoring what causes the emigration in the first place.

Are there no homeless natives in Western Europe? Can the welfare - both economic and medical - systems in place support millions more non-natives? Has Western Europe managed to maximise the health and wellbeing of its myriad natives?

I'm sorry, but if I had to choose between a family member and a stranger to save, I - as many would, though they claim otherwise - would go for the family member.

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Europe has the same problem as America. But with the failing infrastructure and aging population who are they going to get to work those low paying jobs? Not Europeans because if they was, then there wouldn't be a demand for them, sorta like Mexicans in Americans.

1. Hint: Japan's been looking into it for the last few decades and it rhymes with "sobotics" - there are other solutions to labour shortages/"high" wages than importing millions more warm bodies.
2. And what do these "low-paid" immigrants do?
Well, what the natives are doing less of (but still doing): Reproducing - which, in a world grappling with possible global warming and current lifeform extinctions and environmental devastation isn't the brightest choice.

It always get a huge laugh outta stuff like, it's tragically hilarious. No American is willing to do landscaping in North Carolina for 7 or 8 dollars an hour in 100+ degree weather, but don't give it to De-Jesus!

And what's your job?
And would you feel the same way if you had a family that - due to "new immigration laws" letting in thousands that can do the same thing you do from impoverished nations - you had to support on a fraction of your current income?

It's darkly amusing that those following this argument don't have to compete with people who'll fight to do it for a quarter of the income they have now (maybe the U.S. citizens concerned about immigration should vote out their representatives and senators for illegal immigrants that can "do the job for less"?)

In the words of steven a smith "Quite frankly" to many people in the west are allergic to actual HARD work. I remember watching the history channel and a border patrol agent said that illegal Mexicans don't mind doing "menial" labor, BS! They are just doing HARD work and if you want an American to do some hard work, you need to come out those pockets and there lies the essence of the problem.

Yes, you're correct:
It's not the fault of Joe. Q. Public that he cannot support his wife and three sons on a wage a fraction of his pre-immigration amount, because he has to compete with slumdwellers who'll do the job for 1/10th of his previous wage - he's just "lazy".

Just as "lazy" as you'd be if you switched jobs because you couldn't support your family on a quarter of your current wage.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chaoticar

**Grr, i still don't know how to quote folks, i'll have to do it the hard way***

"And would you feel the same way if you had a family that - due to "new immigration laws" letting in thousands that can do the same thing you do from impoverished nations - you had to support on a fraction of your current income?"

--Wha? I'm broke chief and i grew up broke to. I've worked jobs surrounded by other minorities simply because the job only pays 6 or 7 dollars an hour, i needed the money and the supervisor telling us to go faster so HE can go home, so yea i know actually what i'm talking about.

I AM doing that job for less of the pay, you try making your dollar stretch longer just because statistically your making the same amount of money as John Doe two cubicles down. It pisses me off to be undercut..but hell i have a stopping point there ain't SO much imma do for low pay..thats what being american, no intelligent! is all about, "you want me to do that you better cake me." Rather than hit me with some money they would rather get an immigrant, peroid, end of discussion. If these immigrants were making more money doing those jobs then Europeans would be doing it, the same problem as America.

Don't get mad at me or the those immigrants because you would do excatly the same thing, don't lie. If the chance came up for you to work in another country for drastically more than what your making you'd be all over it. That's all they are doing, stop looking at the issue from the outside in.

Get pissed at the idiots creating the demand for them. If *insert generic name* opens a factory but wants to stay caked out, he gets the cheapest labor, simple economics.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by cenpuppie]

<< 1  2  3   >>

join