It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create 'artificial brain cell'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Scientists create 'artificial brain cell'

www.blacklistednews.com

Scientists have created an artificial brain cell they believe could one day be used to treat devastating neurological diseases.

The team has managed to pass messages within the mind in the same way as nerve cells, using a tiny piece of plastic which can transmit electricity.

These messages are used by the brain to control many actions in the body.
Correcting when they go awry could be the key to treating some diseases like Parkinson's disease researchers believe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am sure we can all agree that curing brain desieses is a good thing to be able to do. I do hope something will come out of that. However, with an artificial brain cell, that is making me wonder how far off having something like a functional artificial brain, or an artificial organic computer?
At the end of the source article it also states that other researchers had created an artificial brain from a cancer tumer.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
that is pretty weird.

some other scientists claimed today that they created sperm cells.

link

I know too many people who could use some more working brain cells.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I say organic computers. True AI. weird stuff.

Interesting, as you know for every good advancement in technology it can be used for evil.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

An artificial brain from a tumor?

Well that is like the most extreme case of lemons to lemon juice if I ever heard!!!

This is great, :p See god we can do it too!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I say organic computers. True AI. weird stuff.

Interesting, as you know for every good advancement in technology it can be used for evil.

There is no good or bad, only thinking makes it so. :-)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

As long as we have a military there will be bad things that come of this.

Not thinking bad things can happen is being very, very, naive.

Edit - Spelling.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by HunkaHunka

As long as we have a military there will be bad things that come of this.

Not thing bad things can happen is being very, very, naive.

Well, "things occur", this much is true. Whether or not they are "good" or "bad" is completely subjective.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

So inanimate conductive material can accurately carry electrical information sent from the brain. Would this then imply that it is the electricity that is of importance and not the medium it is traveling through or coming from?

This would mean that only information contained in the electricity is important when it comes to thought. If the source of that electricity was non-organic, that would in no way belittle its relevance. Going down this path might lead to us accidentally finding out just how artificial our own intelligence may be.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who is posting.
Yes this can be some weird stuff.
It will be interesting to find out if this leads to more study on just what the electricity does with in our own brains.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Little man, you do seem to bring up a few very interesting points. I suspect that the religious people will be slow to accept this if it were true as it would mean that people are not so incredibly smart. This may also explain why people who are struck by lightning and survive have so many problems. This gives me a question though. Would this not make interfacing a brain with a computer much easier as we are now simply plugging electrodes in, like plugging an IDE cable into a harddrive?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I would think there might be good reason to keep that tech on the qt.

For every wonder, life saving, world helping thing it can be used for...

It also would have a dark side...

Brain implants that TRUELY make the perfect weapon, er warrior.

I also agree on it's use in computing and more specifically connecting people to computers/information/internet... each man give his own specific set on instruction, in battle, in real time, allowing real time "eyes on ground" information back...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Plastic surgery on the brain now? Too bad, Michael Jackson could have probably benefited from THAT too.
Heck, maybe one day they can develop a complete re-engineered replacement brain for the dysfunctional humon brain and humons can begin to function properly and all our problems will go away. Add these plastic brains to a plastic body and presto, the ideal perfect replacement humon. I like the idea.

new topics

top topics

join