It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Women should be paid for donating eggs,' says academic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

'Women should be paid for donating eggs,' says academic

www.news.com.au

WOMEN in Australia who allow their eggs to be harvested for embryonic stem cell research should be paid for the procedure, an academic says.

Professor Loane Skene, from the University of Melbourne's faculty of law, argues the surgery required for egg extraction is different to blood or sperm donation.

Women in New York will be paid between $US5,000 and $US10,000 ($6,200 and $12,600) for each egg harvested.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hmmm... it seems an easy way for some women to cash in. Especially those who might be in dire financial strife, or simply wanting to buy some white powder.

I can see lots of ethical issues and possible complications. Not all surgery goes as planned and there's bound to be some women who will be ruined by these operations.

To me, it's another step closer to humans becoming a kind of cyberman half-breed race, trying to cheat death. It's a very different future ahead, that's for sure.

Anyway, what do you think - should women be paid for their body parts?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Sounds fair. More than fair, actually.

If people don't own their own bodies and their own lives, then what do they own? If women can cash in this way, more power to them.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Some online sources that I checked put a figure of around 30,000 ova for a woman. Multiply that by $5000 each!

I'm sure that's not realistic though, as I doubt that every egg could be harvested as a healthy specimin.

Does anyone know what kind of upper limit there would be for a woman who wants to sell her eggs?

How much would the average female be 'worth', realistically?

Edit: Changed 'donate' to 'sell'. Apologies.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Why should they be paid if they are dontating. Donating means giving it for free with nothing meant in return for exchange. If they want to sell their eggs for research that is a different issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Fine, then don't call it "donating." Call it "selling." Semantics aren't all that important. It's a case of having something someone else wants enough to pay for it. Viva la free market!@

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Why not? Men selling their sperm too, I have no problem with that.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Don't they give you something to increase the amount of eggs you produce, which has been linked to women getting cancer? I heard this somewhere but I'm not sure, if so then yes I think paying a woman for her eggs and health risks is fair.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hi/

My mum has two chickens....I guess the cold weather and all has the chickens not laying any eggs right now,but soon warmer weather will permit them to lay some eggs!

I'll be happy to donate some ''Eggs'' !

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by derpif
Why not? Men selling their sperm too, I have no problem with that.

True.

However, there's no cost or risk for a man to sell his sperm. After a non-invasive five minute procedure, the act is done.

It's much different with a woman, when she has to undergo surgery to extract her eggs. Surgery costs money and can be risky.

While the principal might be the same, the procedure between collecting sperm samples and egg samples are worlds apart.

I'm not stating that women shouldn't do it. Their body, their choice, good luck to them. I'm just not sure that a $5000 fee is justifiable?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Gee, that sounds like some good money. I should start a human coop business and produce some humon eggs at that price. Where does one order some stock humons to start with? And how many eggs do they lay on average every day anyhow? Do the big plump ones lay more eggs? Can you shoot them up with hormones to increase their egg output? Hum, there must be some good info on this somewhere.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I think you already stated in your post why it should be so much money. It is a risky procedure. For that reason they wont be able to sell them very frequently.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by derpif]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I wonder what they pay here (America) for egg donation, I know they pay something just not sure what.

I don't know, stem cells are great and can help so many people and take away so much pain and tragedy in peoples lives, but then you put that into the hands of the powerful and they go to far or dance on that line of ethics.

Plus I believe, from what I've herd they give you Estrogen which can leads to cancer and other problems, then with surgery you have the risk of bleeding out and infection, then further down the line you have to deal with your own conscious depending on the age possibly.

But I feel if a woman is going to do it, she should get a hefty pay she's going to have to miss work, she's letting them do an invasive operation, they are her eggs, if men can get paid for doing nothing other than what they'd be doing anyway in a plastic cup, surely woman should get paid for this.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Are these women free range?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

It's because it's a riskier procedure that women should be paid.
So long as they are made aware of the risks (which are low anyway) then I see no problem with.
I find this more acceptable that the woman is getting the money, than some middle man, which is usually the case.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hawaii here I come!!!!!!!!!!

packing my bags now!!!

lol..........

hopefully Ill have one with 2 yokes and get extra$$$....

[edit on 7-7-2009 by amyfriend]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
Don't they give you something to increase the amount of eggs you produce, which has been linked to women getting cancer? I heard this somewhere but I'm not sure, if so then yes I think paying a woman for her eggs and health risks is fair.

I doubt it, to be honest, as women are born with all the eggs ready-made. I think I read that somewhere, but it's been a few years since Biology lessons...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Are these women free range?

These eggs may not be top shelf.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Oh I have to laugh....

Donating sperm is a "Procedure" now?

That's seriously the funniest expression for it ever...

"Dinners ready Johnny"

"I'll be right down ma... I'm in the middle of a Procedure"

That's fantastic...

5,000.00 is a very fair price btw, it's a human egg and it's invasive and there are potential risks involved.

Now if I could just get 5,000.00 a pop for each Procedure I performed I could fix the US Defecit

[edit on 7-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In the States if you have a High enough IQ ... when in College I received 100.00 and a dirty magazine for each "Procedure" you perform at the hospital...

Kind of encouraging that at least growing up a High Iq was actually worth 100.00 bucks for a guy and well... I guess they never wanted the magazine back because they never asked lol

I'm making jokes... but there is actually a serious point

In that one type of donation is not nearly as serious as the other and the 5,000.00 bucks is fair compensation...

I am however wondering...

If saying someone in here is performing a "mental procedure" from now on violates the toc of the site here....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join