It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Failed prediction board?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Would a board dedicated to failed predictions be useful in denying ignorance? Similar, but different to the Hoax board, it would allow belly up prophesies to be collected and preserved for later study.

While it is tempting to call them hoaxes and chuck them into that bin, in nearly all cases they don't really seem to exactly fit that category.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
thats a good idea! start with the July 7th Crop Circle/Solar Storm!!

it is easy to lose track of the predictions that are made and gone. Nice one.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Good idea there Phage....

We seem to have a lot of "failed predictions" around here. In fact i believe that all ,without exeption, have failed so far.

I did appreciate you input in the solar flare thread.
Which should also get a place in your "failed predictions section"....

Peace

Edit: added a flag

[edit on 7/7/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Great idea. S & F.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

now were did you put the S in S + F????

Just wondering...

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by mkross1983

now were did you put the S in S + F????

Just wondering...

Peace

Um, just flagged. No stars I guess.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That's it Phage!! I'm starting a "failed cynics" list.

Just kidding. You have done us a greata service. This should be a successful thread. If not, it will be a sad commentary on the state of our ATS Union

I'm sure this thread will generate the most laughter. I can't stop laughing already.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
yea, can throw in the ark being revealed in ethiopia thread in there too

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It sounds like a good idea for a sticky in the Predictions forum.

I see your point, but I, personally, couldn't justify 'Failed Predictions' as a subforum.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
We could have a 'Predictions' board, whether failed or not and that will take care of crop circles, 2012 etc and others.

Great idea S&F

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I predict your request will be denied!

How are failed predictions not hoaxes?

Somebody comes up with the crap, and it doesn't come true. How is that not a hoax?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

This board already exists:

Predictions Board

edit: I call bluff on your star, by the way.

[edit on 7/7/0909 by spines]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
That is a great idea!! For a change I would like to make an actual prediction that IS going to happen...

I predict that if I do not tear myself away from ATS very soon and take my chunky butt to bed, I will need to put it in a sling and drag it behind me tomorrow!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

they are definatley not the same thing. a hoax is a lie made up, a farse, trying to pass for the truth.

A failed prediction can be a genuine, truthful attempt at foreseeing an event, although it may fail to materialise.

how can this be the same??

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage you are a genius.

That is a very good idea, but at the same time it would not be right to only point out the predictions that didn't come about. There is always two sides to a coin, and correct predictions should not get lost either.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

At first I thought the existing predictions board could just as well be used (moving predictions from other boards to that one would be a start). But the problem with that is we really don't know the final outcome of some of those predictions and won't for years (centuries?).

This way the known stinkers will have a place to go, no matter which board they originate in.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Are there any?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by Blanca Rose

A failed prediction can be a genuine, truthful attempt at foreseeing an event, although it may fail to materialise.

how can this be the same??

I guess one would have to believe that anything from the future can be predicted to begin with. So for me, a prediction is a hoax, because I don't believe it can be done.

I don't think failed predictions need a sub forum either.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'll predict this wont go anywhere

Great idea though...

Oooo lookie I shook my bag of stars and only a flag fell out.

Sorry buddy that's all I can give you on this thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Phage

I predict your request will be denied!

How are failed predictions not hoaxes?

Somebody comes up with the crap, and it doesn't come true. How is that not a hoax?

Hoaxes are created to deliberately mislead, fool and deceive people. At worst they involve fraud.

Some of the ATS false predictions are outcomes of someone young placing a little too much significance on a weird dream they've had. Others are so immersed in 'joining the dots,' they mistake mundane incidents as part of a series of 'signposts' that lead them towards the 'Truth.' Their belief in pattern recognition means they honestly believe in their predictions and could even be at fault (in their own opinion) for not sharing their information.

The predictions threads (if not hoaxed) share some of the same features as the ones involving a member claiming greater insight. Both types claim a knowledge that comes from 'God,' 'aliens,' or a 'greater power.' Both types indicate that the member feels somehow elevated from the majority of people. They have distinguished or excluded themselves from majority thinking.

Another feature I've noticed is that the OP is often an 'act of the moment' done without thought of consequence. They open bravely, but once the thread takes off, their discomfort at the attention leads to the inevitable "I'll be back later"...exit:stage left

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join