It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Failed prediction board?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Phage, I believe that board is already in existence here, failed predicitons.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

Took me a moment.

But as I said earlier, there are predictions from other boards which may need to be rounded up.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey phage good going

Add my prediction about it not happening

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Can we still have the failed predictions award?

How about 1st Place: Blossom Goodchild Award

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Your prediction is still alive and I think it is likely to prove correct.
The post from DewMonster was a was a joke and it took me a minute to get it too.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Would a board dedicated to failed predictions be useful in denying ignorance? Similar, but different to the Hoax board, it would allow belly up prophesies to be collected and preserved for later study.

While it is tempting to call them hoaxes and chuck them into that bin, in nearly all cases they don't really seem to exactly fit that category.

I agree. While I tend to yield to the draw of a doom thread that seems to ring true, I inevitably end up filing said thread failure in my personal "you're so gullible" hall of shame.

It's a long hall, but that tiny light at the end signifies an evolution from naive believe-everything-you-read gal, to one who researches and sources everything she reads.

So I've read and participated in epic failures, yes, but I've come away the better for it.

File them away in an organized manner, on a single board? Most definitely. I'd like the reference. How do we know when we're up if we never have any downs?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea.

It would be good to have the predictions listed in a graph by type for easy viewing.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I know I'm new but I think this seems like a good idea. In so much as the hoaxes board filters bull#, so could this. Thread flagged.

edit: I also really like the idea of marking or some how identifying threads that successfully predict events. Successfully predicting a future event would be quite a feat, I'd want to know who did it so that I could tell them how impressed I am.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Astronaut Down]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I support this idea

Vote +1

Having a failed predictions board would be useful, all categorized for later reference.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It occurs to me that the criterion for being classified as a Failed Prediction is very objective; did the predicted occurrence occur as predicted?

The problem here is that predictions would become more vague in order to avoid being banished. Perhaps overly nebulous prognostications could automatically be classified. Of course this would require subjective judgments by the moderators but that's what they here for after all.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
A GREAT idea! Perfect for all of those who researched and had a real good prediction going, but somehow it didn't turn out; sadly or happily!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Seems sensible Phage. I think most predictions are well intentioned if they don't fall into the hoax category. That would be a very interesting resource.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
How about a special award for the wildest and wooliest false prediction ever? Those three threads would all be contenders.

[edit on 8/7/09 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Nope. Kudos to Oz Weatherman, but that isn't good enough. What we want is a thread of links to the failed prophecy threads, so we can easily go to them and post ya-boo-sucks comments.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by yeahright

Nope. Kudos to Oz Weatherman, but that isn't good enough. What we want is a thread of links to the failed prophecy threads

And you can easily include a link to a thread in that existing thread, no?

so we can easily go to them and post ya-boo-sucks comments.

Which is a perfect example of why we won't likely be dedicating a special forum for failed predictions.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by Astyanax

so we can easily go to them and post ya-boo-sucks comments.

Which is a perfect example of why we won't likely be dedicating a special forum for failed predictions.

Just wondering... has what Astyanax suggests happened in the Hoaxes Forum?

A failed predictions forum is very similar IMHO... if not the same.

After all, illuminating failed predictions is essentially 'Denying Ignorance'. It may be a useful tool in helping some members be more discerning in the future.

IRM

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Ah so. Thread closed, then?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I don't disagree. The difference being intent. A hoax is a deliberate attempt to mislead. A failed prediction is just wrong. Once it fails, it's over. A hoax can be perpetuated. So I think there is a difference in degree of impact.

I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, I'm just saying that given the new initiatives going on right now and many background things happening, the likelihood of a new forum being created strictly for failed predictions isn't high. Especially since there is an alternative already in place.

[Edit to add]

@Astyanax: Since this is a Board Business and Questions forum, I won't be closing it unless an Administrator (or higher) asks me to. I've got no problem with the discussion, I'm just offering some "insider" input about why it isn't likely anytime soon.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Here how can I put this in secular terms so you understand it. Remember I told you that no matter what you believe everything I have said to you will come to pass whether you like it or not.

So in secular terms:

"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer

But in better wiser Divine terms:

John 8:32 "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

I only tell you the truth.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Great idea!!

Would we need another board for predictions that have actually come to pass? Would that be a much much smaller board? Me thinks it would be.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join