It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity is finished in the UK "Well thank god for that!"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The Church of England isn't all of Christianity, remember that. I know missionaries that are serving in Britain and they say nothing about Christianity dying. In fact, it is very much on the upswing by their reports. Many churches are building larger churches because they're bursting at the seems! [Of course though, these aren't your traditional churches that are growing.]

In the end, people have said that Christianity would die out since the beginning, but here we are 2000 years later still truckin' along.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

The attendence in C of E churches may be falling, yet membership of others such as Baptist, Methodist, United Reform, Gospel Hall etc., is on the increase.

If I search increase in things such as Baptism in the UK I get nothing, if I google decline of religious practices such as Baptism I get a bunch of articles. What information is leading you to believe in a rise?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

In feel sorry for you, because although you are not a christian you feel the need to bash the faith for no other reason than to satisfy your schoolboy mentality.

You make statements that are very childish and i hope that one day you will grow up and talk some sense for a change.

How sad.....

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Christianity in all its forms will probably decline heavily soon or will considerably adapt to survive in the new age that is upon us. You'd think with everything going to hell people would turn to religion as a support blanket but I see less of that type of "escaping" these days.

Britain is becoming a tinderbox at the moment, society is falling for the big lie xtianity is getting cornered and stirring up hatred of the muslims.

Brits believe what the TV and tabloids tell them and the underlying (i like the second half of the word underlying don't you ?) message is that muslims are out to take their jobs and bomb their homes.

Xtianity is jumping on the bandwagon all be it subtly through the back door, yet when I say xtianity I'm more inclined to believ it is those that manipulate the xtian sheeple.

What is not observed by the chicken lickens is that, eventually ardent islamics will discover their ability to free think in the UK as xtainity did over the centuries, eventually pushing these idiotic beliefs into a minority corner.

Reason like life will always find a way.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

I did not say that the majority are extremists, so what's your point?

You will be begging God for Christians once the Muslim extremists take over.

What hypocrisy?

What are you playing at? If you're going to say something that implies a take over of extremist because of the rise of Islam at least have the balls to say you were not stating your opinion well and take it back instead of trying to back away from it.

If you were trying to say that I am a Christian, then again, you would be wrong.

Never said you were a Christian, I said you made an assumption about someone putting down Christianity. I included all religious believers and even atheist in my hypocrisy statement.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Where do you get your information, if there are school assemblies they are not compulsary, religious classes are not Christian based the kids learn about every religion, be is Buddhism, Sikhism Islam or Jain and are not compulsary.

Religion plays a very tiny part in UK schools, even the C of E ones, I know because my grandchildren go to one, not because they are religious but because they offer good education.

Pious Muslims, Jews Sikhs etc., will send their children to schools of their own faith.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

Ok, I guess you have comprehension skill problems because how is that statement saying I believe the majority of Muslims are extemists? As I clarified in my previous post, you don't have to be in the majority in order to have the control.

Good grief! You are either not reading my posts, have comprehension issues or you are purposefully being disingenuous.
What's the point in trying to continue a conversation when you are making no sense with your replies.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
After searching on google, I found an article from the Church of England that refutes what the unsourced bishop said in xcowman's original post. It doesn't refute the unnamed bishop directly, but says that a recent government trends survey is wrong.

Latest Religious Trends publication ‘flawed and dangerously misleading’

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Considering HOW that church was founded, it's a wonder how it exists at all!

It was founded out of contempt for basic christian morals, adultery and murder. It wouldn't exist if those needs of a certain king were not required.

Good riddance!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

Ok, I guess you have comprehension skill problems because how is that statement saying I believe the majority of Muslims are extemists? As I clarified in my previous post, you don't have to be in the majority in order to have the control.

Good grief! You are either not reading my posts, have comprehension issues or you are purposefully being disingenuous.
What's the point in trying to continue a conversation when you are making no sense with your replies.

It's pretty simple, you stated this:
I guess you will hate Muslims next since they seem to be on the rise there and soon you will have to abide by sharia law.

You will be begging God for Christians once the Muslim extremists take over

You 1. Imply that the rise of Islamic practices is a bad thing (we will be ruled by sharia law?), then 2. imply that we will want Christians "back" when the extremist take over. That's not hard to comprehend, you made both statements and you made them together for a reason. If you want to back out of that instead of simply stating that you should not have stated this then fine by me. If you don't see why I found that silly while you're trying to defend Christianity then I guess we both have comprehension problems.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
After searching on google, I found an article from the Church of England that refutes what the unsourced bishop said in xcowman's original post. It doesn't refute the unnamed bishop directly, but says that a recent government trends survey is wrong.

Latest Religious Trends publication ‘flawed and dangerously misleading’

Do you have a source other than the church itself? Edit to add: Thanks for posting that though, I'm not stating that you're incorrect, I just find that to be an odd source to use. It's from 2008 though, I'll try to find some more recent articles.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Soo much rancor and attention for a thing you argue is bullocks..... Mores the pity.....

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

In feel sorry for you, because although you are not a christian you feel the need to bash the faith for no other reason than to satisfy your schoolboy mentality.

You make statements that are very childish and i hope that one day you will grow up and talk some sense for a change.

How sad.....

pleas don't feel sorry for me I'm old enough and ugly enough to take care of myself thank you.

However, I would be grateful if you could extend the same compassion to my children, as it is for them that I bash xtianity (not individuals) my children deserve the best I can do and if this is the best I can do with no money and no education then this is what I will do.

My children have the right to go to bed to sleep, they never once concerned themselves about bogey men, because bogey men were not introduced into their lives, they slept dumped ate, played and learned a few things.

However, the xtains would introduce the boogy man into my childrens live, no not directly of course,. They introduce the bogyman antidote first thus making the boogy man a reality.

My kids WILL spend their childhood being children and will learn to read and reason, when they are adults they may hear about xtianity. As adults they can then go read a copy of one of the many bibles, they can then evaluate what they read critically .

Xtianity would deny them this and is desperately trying to undermine my parenting abilities, by infiltrating their schools and getting them to worship their invisible friends in the sky.

Xtians listen up ! Believe what you wish but leave my kids alone or I will do something about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Here's an article that affirms a decline: www.bbc.co.uk...

I apologize for not being sure when it was written. :/ It says the page was last updated on 2009-06-25 though. For all I know it could be older than the one you posted though so anyone reading should keep that in mind.

If anyone wants to read more recent articles about the decline in America (here):
www.usatoday.com...
www.newsweek.com...
www.mndaily.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I think a lot of christians in this country just call themselves christian, and don't even know anything about their religion or go to church etc.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Lot of ignorance on this thread, a lot of unjustified hate and a lot of false information given by people who do not have a clue what they are talking about.

A picture speaks a thousand words.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Here's an article that affirms a decline: www.bbc.co.uk...

When coupled with the article that I gave though, it's not taking into account non-Sunday activities. Also, it affirms the Church of England's decline, not Christianity as a whole. Although, I guess the main thrust of this thread is the CoE, not Christianity as a whole.

Here is an interesting article from the American Evangelical viewpoint regarding Christianity as a whole: U.S. Evangelicals Pessimistic about Christianity in America.

Leaders of the evangelical church in America believe that Christianity will grow around the world in the next ten years, though it's on the decline in the west, and possibly in America. This growth will come from missionary work in Africa and Asia. So, one day, in the UK, instead of it being American missionaries coming and planting churches, it very well could be a man from Kenya or South Korea!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Leaders of the evangelical church in America believe that Christianity will grow around the world in the next ten years,

I'm sure plenty believe that but it would seem inconsistent with reality. Islam appears to be the only fast rising religion, if trends are to be believed. At least they're willing to acknowledge a decline in the west.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Where do you get your information, if there are school assemblies they are not compulsary

2 Local Education Authorities/ The Welsh Assembly Government offices in cardiff,/ 2 Head teachers/ 1 Assembly Member

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
the rise in multiculturalism

Is this a polite way of him talking about the huge influx of muslims in the UK?
Religions and sects come and go. It's the way of the world.

Originally posted by Atlantican
It was founded out of contempt for basic christian morals, adultery and murder. It wouldn't exist if those needs of a certain king were not required.

Shhhhhhhhhh ... don't remind them of that!

Church of England's Official History According to Wiki

The Church of England traces its formal corporate history from the 597 Gregorian mission, stresses its continuity and identity with the primitive universal Western church, and notes the consolidation of its particular independent and national character in the post-Reformation events of Tudor England, and confirmed by the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.

[edit on 7/6/2009 by FlyersFan]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join