It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Open Airspace to U.S. for Afghan War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Russia to Open Airspace to U.S. for Afghan War

www.nytimes.com

MOSCOW — The Russian government has agreed to let American troops and weapons bound for Afghanistan fly over Russian territory, officials on both sides said Friday. The arrangement will provide an important new corridor for the United States military as it escalates efforts to win the eight-year war.

The agreement, to be announced when President Obama visits here on Monday and Tuesday, represents one of the most concrete achievements in the administration’s effort to ease relations with Russia after years of tension. But the two sides failed to make a trade deal or resolve differences o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The game is a foot!
Now if this doesn't turn some heads I don't know what will... OK so what exactly does one make of this? I wonder exactly what kind of deal was made? Georgia? I'll be keeping an eye on this for the next few days. Check back I say lets see what deals were made.

Stay tuned...

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

An expected deal between Russia and America to allow the U.S. to transit military supplies via Russian territory to Afghanistan could be signed during Barack Obamas visit to Moscow next week.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Could be a deal on Georgia. I hope so, as I don't think they belong in NATO anyhow. I'm not even sure WE belong in NATO any more, Given the climate in Europe and the fact that the Warsaw Pact is no more, and NATO was formed to counter that particular threat.

Could also be a move by Russia to make Iran feel more pressure, strengthening the US flanking forces in Afghanistan to match those in Iraq, objective: draw a spooked and nearly surrounded Iran even closer to Russia. In that scenario, both Russia and the US win.

Unless it comes to blows.

And I'm sure Russia ain't losing no love on Afghanistan anyhow. The wounds are probably still too fresh.

[edit on 2009/7/4 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Oh I'm sure there was a deal. I'm betting on Georgia also.
I second pulling out of NATO too.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Here is an interesting snippet. Same source

So Mr. Obama’s first visit here as president will be a test of his foreign policy. American officials said that the larger message was that if the Russians did not take his open hand, he would move on to other priorities.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is a good sign to me.

I have felt for years that Russia would someday be our Alli.

This is all very interesting and exciting to observe.

I'm not a war monger I just enjoy politics.

Can you imagine what a formidable team Russia, Germany, Japan. Italy, France. England and the USA would be.

Zowie. That would be a fantastic war machine.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Can you imagine what a formidable team Russia, Germany, Japan. Italy, France. England and the USA would be.

Well with that combination we may just have a chance to take down Afghanistan finally at least once in it's history.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I'd like to believe that it's a sign of Russia becoming an ally of ours, which I'd be very excited about. However I think it's more plausible that Georgia is a part of this deal. Possibly to deny them membership in NATO, or us promising not to get involved in the event of a Russian military operation involving Georgia. My other guess would be the missile shield. Perhaps if we agreed to keep them out of Eastern Europe or something along those lines. I just don't see Russia allowing this for nothing.

In either case though this is very good news and I'm glad we were able to get the Russians to agree to this. I'd be interested in seeing more cooperation with the Russians in the future. I get the feeling we'd best get used to working with them in the event that North Korea goes hot.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This thread caught my eye immediately. With the break down in US and Russian relationship as of late, this is a great gesture by the Russian government. However, what is hazy to me is the fact that any gesture made by the Russians comes with strings attached.

We all remember how Stalin carved out his niche in Eastern Europe after the Second World War. As it stands now, it would seem promising; but lets not hold our breath on this one. What are the Chinese interests in this deal since China and Russia have saddled up with each other? Lets see what happens in the coming days. Hopefully this gesture releases some of the pressure poised by the logistical nightmare of moving supplies from Pakistan to Afghanistan. Star and flagged Slayer and keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Well I wouldn't get too excited. Russia has gotten something out of this. I suspect some sort of change in US policy rearing it's head in the next few weeks or month.

Something so slight.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Jakes51

Well I wouldn't get too excited. Russia has gotten something out of this. I suspect some sort of change in US policy rearing it's head in the next few weeks or month.

Something so slight.

This is by far more news breaking than the Palin show. However, I, like you; see strings attached to this one. Hopefully we can get a strategic partnership with them to leverage China a bit. I guess we can all dream, right? However, I trust the Russians like I would trust the wolf in the hen house. Any developments in Russian US relations is better than nothing.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Anti-Americanism plays in Russia

It's an opportune moment for the United States to warm up a frosty relationship. Moscow could help on some of Washington's most intransigent foreign policy troubles, including Afghanistan, Iran and North Korea. But in Russia, there is scant evidence of a desire for a fresh start.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This is great news! Although, we all know something is up with this agreement. It's good to know that we have people talking between the two countries though. I can't wait till we get more information on this agreement, such as what our part of the deal was.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

Well with that combination we may just have a chance to take down Afghanistan finally at least once in it's history.

ROFL....

France

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
So, Russia says, "Go hang yourselves, like we did against your created Taliban". Go ahead. Your destruction is imminent. Kruschev said, something along the lines, that we will destroy you from within. I remember seeing on the news when Kruschev was banging his shoe on the podium and saying we will bury you, was just an empty threat.

Reagan out spent the "evil empire."

The next evil empire to be bankrupt is the U.S. of A.

The Japanese already found out the best way to wage war on a country was to do economic damage

Cnina and Russia learned this lesson well. ?Russia experienced it. China just whatched and learned.

If we have a president who wants to maintain a superpower status for the U.S., he will do it.
We don't have a president that wants to do this.Whether it is good bad, it is what it is.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Decoding Russia: A Six-Step Plan

Now Mr. Obama is coming back, due in Moscow on Monday for his first Russian-American summit, taking his place in a long line of Americans who have tried to figure Russia out.

The United States and Russia (or its Soviet predecessor) have circled each other warily for decades. And often enough at these meetings, the Americans have been frustrated, mumbling “I don’t get these people” all the way home.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Decoding Russia: A Six-Step Plan

Now Mr. Obama is coming back, due in Moscow on Monday for his first Russian-American summit, taking his place in a long line of Americans who have tried to figure Russia out.

The United States and Russia (or its Soviet predecessor) have circled each other warily for decades. And often enough at these meetings, the Americans have been frustrated, mumbling “I don’t get these people” all the way home.

It will be interesting to see what President Obama can come away with when dealing with Putin *ahem* (clears throat) I mean President Medvedev. He will most certainly have a tough road ahead of him and with many pot holes in terms of negotiations. The Russians are an enigma to the west. They have always been. Dealing with them is like playing chess not checkers. You have to go about negotiations with them quite delicately. One miss-step and it's all down hill from there. The Russians will give you a smile to your face while leveraging you through subtle means in the background.

How would I describe the Russians; I would say they have a ruthless sophistication about their character. Maybe it's the whole East and West crossroad that makes them so formidable. Fortunately for them they inherit both strengths of East and West because their sheer size and the interaction they have had with people from all corners of the world in their long and storied history. I'm under the assumption, President Obama, will be glad to be on Air Force heading back to Washington after his visit in Moscow. I don't think the visit will bear any fruit.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yeah good point Putin is old school KGB...

I was wondering that myself it will be a tad bit awkward dealing with an open mind on one hand while looking over his shoulder at Putin.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

LoL if you pool out of NATO you will lose everything. NATO is what is giving you the ability to be at the other side of the lake dude. And the US is not the best of friend with China. So you need us more then you know.

Why blame us for not wanting to fight for your lies. Or for the problems you cause everywhere you Americans are, You created and supported Osama Bin Laden and the Al Qaeda dont forget that. Don't blame us for the back fire.
Al Qaeda dont hate us Europeans they hate you Americans. There is not one terrorist bomb or terrorist killing that has happened in Norway once ever. Because we dont give other people or nations a reason to hate us.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join