It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's in a name? A lot.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yes, the affect that a name has on us can partly be explained by the fact that names, when said aloud, have a vibration level that may or may not resonate with us, therefore stirring up positive or negative energies in us accordingly. Also, I think a name when spoken by different people will have a different vibratory level as well, so the way in which it affects us won't be the same.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

It's a very long topic that deserves a thread by itself, but basically it's the name that was taken by you when you were first created/spat out from wherever we come from. Think of it as the original vibration that you responded to. I'm not talking about this life, but way, way, way back whenever you first came into existence. It is the name you claimed as you own. Everybody has one.

I first learnt about the theory when I was in my teens travelling thru Central Europe. I've grown up a lot since then and have discarded many theory's that were presented to me, but this one has always remained. It can be used as a way to draw strength and clarity in this life, and helps reaffirm the bond between you and the rest of the universe/whatever. Just thinking of mine gives me tingles still, 10 years after learning it. I don't want to hijack DarkLords thread though, so I'll publish something on it tonight.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

That's really interesting. Again, you're someone with strong feelings when it comes to their names. Which is good because at least you'll know when a name isn't working out for you, and you can be aware of adversely affecting names so as to immediately nip the problem in the bud and avoid a situation where your relationship with someone has gone wrong and you're clueless why.

Just out of curiosity, what is your first name? If you don't mind revealing it.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

I've had my own dealings with spiritual awakenings and whatnot, so I understand what you are saying.

I am very interested in this and I would be very appriciative if you posted a topic about it. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

But, you are right. I don't want to hijack the thread. Sorry Darklord!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

I wouldn't mind you hijacking this thread at all if you were to discuss an interesting topic like that! And after all, this thread has to do with names anyway.

But if you feel it's more deserving of a new thread then please do. Either way, I'm looking forward to learning more about it from you. Just don't make us wait too long...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by darklord

Sorry, I posted the other reply before seeing what you posted.

You know, I am always very aware of what someone wants to be called. I don't like making up nicknames for people, even if I have known them for a very long time. My best friend insisted when I first met her that she wanted to be called by the long version of her name, even though everyone else called her by a shortened version. To this day I use her actual name. I've known my husband over ten years and I still call him his actual name.

Since you asked, I don't mind telling you that my first name is Lacy, even though that enduced a series of shivers down my spine.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Thanks for that link mate
I'd say that site was about 80% accurate for me using my full name .
But I cant help but think its the same as the astrology reports I read in the papers/magazines also .
I could apply just about all of them to my life , if I pretended I had a different star sign .
I guess thats the way they designed them though , to pretty much apply to anyone .
Cheers

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

Trick Svehlak! That's got a nice ring to it. Yeah, nicknames are cool as long as they don't have any negative affects. People should learn to be more sensitive to their inner reactions to the various names they're called. Otherwise you won't even realize when a name is draining positive energy from you, creating minute friction between you and the other person, or just making you feel uncomfortable or unpleasant inside.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

lol! I don't know what you're talking about... I think Lacy is such a pretty name!

That's great that you're aware of what names you liked to be called, as well as what names you call others by. If people learned to pay more attention to names, I think it would help them enormously.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Takka

I know I said earlier that I don't have an opinion on numerology, but what I really think is that both Numerology and Astrology are genuine fields that should be given serious consideration. But a lot of the freely available stuff on it is bulls**t. You just need to learn to filter out the commercial nonsense from the real thing.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Eh, it might be to someone else, but saying it bothers me to no end. I will give you that it is immensely better than the one I picked out as a replacement as a child (Lila)...

I may have missed it, but do you mind giving us the nickname your friend called you that bothered you so much? Was it a variation of your name or something unrelated?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Yes, Lacy is definately better.

My first name is Adil. My friend started to call me 'Adie', pronounced like the letters A & D said in a row. So yeah, it's a variation of my actual name. And I really can't say I have any problem with it. In fact, 2 of my friends simultaneously started to call me that, but it only induced a negative response in me with one of them. The other still calls me that, and it doesn't affect me negatively at all. Like I said, the same name called by different people can change the response.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

That is really interesting. Were you ever able to figure out why it only affected you when the one person called you that? Do you think it has anything to do with that person's voice? Maybe something in the level his voice resonates at when saying it is different than the other persons.

I actually used to know an Adil. I would tell you how he introduced himself to me (And how he told me to pronounce his name) but it isn't appropriate for the forums. Plus, it can be offensive unless you have a crude side to your humor. It was funny to us at the time (and still makes me giggle a little).

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn
apparently alot,,

my mom wanted to name me urijah,,,, thank god my sister fought hard for me,,, i owe her big for nopt letting them name me that!!!!

i would have gotten beat up and ridiculed through school probably being called urine, eurethra etc etc

thanks sis,,,,, love johnny

my niece just named her son that....i wanted to smack her

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklord

Yes, Lacy is definately better.

My first name is Adil. My friend started to call me 'Adie', pronounced like the letters A & D said in a row. So yeah, it's a variation of my actual name. And I really can't say I have any problem with it. In fact, 2 of my friends simultaneously started to call me that, but it only induced a negative response in me with one of them. The other still calls me that, and it doesn't affect me negatively at all. Like I said, the same name called by different people can change the response.

well now here's where it gets interesting..cause I get called AD all the time cause of my username- and i prefer it to my real name.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

You took the words right outta my mouth. That's exactly what I think is the reason. All to do with the vibration of the word+ vibration of the person's voice. Initially I wanted to add this explanation to the original post, but thought maybe it'd be better if I avoided that angle and see what explanations fellow ATSers would give me. But you guys got right to it, as expected.

By the way, I've got a sense of humor
U2U me what your friend Adil said...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

"my niece just named her son that....i wanted to smack her"

LOL! HAHAHAHA!!!

So AD huh? I still get called that by some people, one in particular all the time, with no -ve effects. Can't say I prefer either name. I'm essentially ok with both. Except for those rare cases like I mentioned in my OP.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey,

Just finished writing down how I found out about my original name. It's pretty long winded and turned out more as a story, so that's where I filed it. If anyone's interested, I can give more info.

The story can be found here

Shane

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Have you ever seen or experienced something like this?

Yes. There is someone close to me who has a nickname/pet name for me. And I prefer that name. But when they call me by my real first name - I know something is wrong. They only use my first name for very very serious conversations. I almost cringe when I hear them say my name. Strange.

Most people in my life (minus my parents) have a nickname for me....and I prefer them. They are more personal and meaningful to me. My first name is more formal IMO and used mostly by people who do not know me well

I am not fond of my first name. In fact, it is so common and I hate to be common, that in Jr. High, I changed the spelling of it so it would be "different". LOL

Names are so much IMO.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

And forget "honey" "sweetie" "baby" I find those all condescending and make me want to puke honestly and I can't take a person seriously for using them.

it's funny - with pet names - terms of endearment - it all depends on who uses them

"sweetie" coming from one person can be a totally different thing than "sweetie" from the next person

you hate them now - but you might be surprised how much you like it when it comes from the right person. From a waitress - maybe annoying, from your significant other - magic

I ended up at a cafe one morning years ago - a place I never really went to on a regular basis

the waitress there called me "puddin" :-)

I actually went there on purpose ever after - because I realized - I liked being called puddin'

who knew? :-)

but it only really worked coming from her - she was a very sweet lady

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join