It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Drug That Could Give You Perfect Visual Memory

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I do believe that having a photographic memory is all about how your brain takes in and stores information. So, for your book idea, to remember what the page looked like, would also include the lettering, i.e. they could re-read the page in their own head.

Therefore, if it were down to blackjack, if you see the queen and had one of your fingers pointing toward the card, the next time you see one, have two fingers pointing etc, so the fingers always provide a frame of reference? Maybe...a long shot, but I dont have photographic memory.

The only thing the drug wouldnt do, is increase your concentration span. So yeah, you may have picture perfect memory but you only have a certain amount of time a day to take in information, i think it is about 20 minutes of pure concentration you get a day. And that the difference between a genius and a "slow" person, is not only processing speeds etc, but about 1 minute a day of pure concentration. Which when you think about it adds up. You can learn a lot in 1 minute.

Cheers,

Brad

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by UFOTECH

Does this mean when I look at a girl I love and I'm far away, I can appreciate her beauty in clear vivid clarity any time? I can experience a special moment, or remember the face of a criminal in clear accuracy?

Sounds like storing pictures on a computer, then opening them up to see them again, sounds damn amazing!?

I wonder what the side effect might be?

[edit on 5-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

Yep and after Your girl that You have loved so much for X amount of years leaves you for some other guy You will still remember her lovely face , all those awesome moments you had with her and know that You will remember that for all Your life ... Now try and deal with that

See its nice and cool to think about all the positive sides such a drug might have but don't forget there are lots and lots of memories that you would rather forget than have as baggage for the rest of your life . That example above was just one of such events , imagine deaths, accidents to loved ones , abuse, etc...

Now if they perfect a drug that lets you chose which memories to have and which to discard , then I will be all over it and will love it

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Thill]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
NO, I would not take a drug that gives me perfect visual memory... Think about all the aweful things that happen in this world, things that if we saw, we would not want to remember the exact, precise, painful details of the memory.. Besides, I doubt the drug will work out to be as great as everyone thinks; it might sound cool, but for something like this, you'll need to consider it with a lot of thought... Even if it gives you perfect visual memory, do you honestly believe that human brain cells don't have a limit to how much info they can take? If bombarded, it will turn to damage... That's why we're not naturally computer-minded. Anyway, unless we genuinely have some memory-related illness, if something is important, we will remember it. It's not like we need to fill up our brains with unnecessary, distracting, space-wasting info.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
"Mice with the RGS-14 boost could remember objects they had seen for up to two months. Ordinarily the same mice would only be able to remember these objects for about an hour."

Thsi protein is not trying to suggest you will remember everything forever. It is simply saying it boosts the retaining period of memories, or in other words slows down memory decay. While your point still holds some weight, there are things best left forgotten, eventually they will be forgotten.

Otherwise, it is just a significant boost to your memory, and therefore enables you to become much more knowledgable. Knowledge is power. So really, I will gladly take some of that protein thank you very much!

Cheers,

Brad

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toughiv
"Mice with the RGS-14 boost could remember objects they had seen for up to two months. Ordinarily the same mice would only be able to remember these objects for about an hour."

Thsi protein is not trying to suggest you will remember everything forever. It is simply saying it boosts the retaining period of memories, or in other words slows down memory decay. While your point still holds some weight, there are things best left forgotten, eventually they will be forgotten.

Otherwise, it is just a significant boost to your memory, and therefore enables you to become much more knowledgable. Knowledge is power. So really, I will gladly take some of that protein thank you very much!

Cheers,

Brad

I see your point... But memory doesn't give you everything to become more knowledgable, you'll always require natural intelligence and mental skills. Also, there are probably safer supplements to take- such as herbal ones- to improve memory, which would work more safely and securely, giving you added health benefits at the same time, such as ginseng and ginko bibloba (my mum takes that and it seems to be effective)... "Mice with the RGS-14 boost could remember objects they had seen for up to two months. Ordinarily the same mice would only be able to remember these objects for about an hour..." Yeah, so it's been tested on MICE, that must sure be accurate when it comes to a HUMAN BRAIN... Did you know that there's a type of fly that turns homosexual when it gets drunk?? Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to take for "knowledge is power"...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Crying-Lightning

HAHA REALLY a fly that turns homosexual when drunk! Please please link it.

also, when it comes to being knowledgable, you do not need natural intelligence. Intelligence speeds up the process. A person with an iq of 160 has to study a text less to comprehend and learn it, whereas a person with iq of 100 will have to study a few times more to completely understand and learn.

knowledge is power. Ill prove that in the next question. Why do we pay lawyers?...

Ill leave it at, you seem intelligent enough to put it together.

Cheers,

Brad

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

HAHA REALLY a fly that turns homosexual when drunk! Please please link it.

also, when it comes to being knowledgable, you do not need natural intelligence. Intelligence speeds up the process. A person with an iq of 160 has to study a text less to comprehend and learn it, whereas a person with iq of 100 will have to study a few times more to completely understand and learn.

knowledge is power. Ill prove that in the next question. Why do we pay lawyers?...

Ill leave it at, you seem intelligent enough to put it together.

Cheers,

Brad

Ok, here's the link, you'll find it down this list (as well as how other animals react when on drugs lol) www.newscientist.com... ...Did you know that there is actually no accurate way- even through IQ, that will determine a person's real intelligence?- www.buzzle.com... There are different TYPES of intelligence, even if someone has an IQ of 160 and the other person of 100, studying could be either remembering or understanding the text, the one with 100 could be stronger in the area of memory... In IQ tests, some of them even group questions into different sections to show the person at the end where they're stronger/weaker... What was that about the lawyer?

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Crying-Lightning]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Thanks for the links, interesting. Yeh i did know about different strengths etc, and so it is not a good way to measure intelligence, but then you have to ask what is intelligence. IQ tests are just a generalization of the idea.

Erm, when it comes to lawyers, we pay them to fight / defend our cases for us. Why do we pay them? Because they KNOW the law, and so KNOW how to break it, dodge it and wiggle their way around it. Hence my point Knowledge is Power and we pay through the teeth for people who have more than us!

Cheers,

Brad.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Thanks for the links, interesting. Yeh i did know about different strengths etc, and so it is not a good way to measure intelligence, but then you have to ask what is intelligence. IQ tests are just a generalization of the idea.

Erm, when it comes to lawyers, we pay them to fight / defend our cases for us. Why do we pay them? Because they KNOW the law, and so KNOW how to break it, dodge it and wiggle their way around it. Hence my point Knowledge is Power and we pay through the teeth for people who have more than us!

Cheers,

Brad.

Yeah, I understand what you mean... But I don't think that it is ultimately "knowledge is power." I might soud dumb, but I think love is power, the greatest power of all; "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then we shall live in peace." I mean, what meaning does the word "power" even hold, unless there's no happiness behind it? Why else would power even be important to people, unless it made them happy in whatever way that is. Pure love is pure happiness, therefore pure power.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

See now, when it comes to this area of debate. We are either getting really philosophical or religious. I would rather keep it philosophical, i thought Id say that now, because lets begin

Right, look around you, the world is inherently corrupt. We have happiness and we have sadness. Almost like positive and Negative. Without sadness you would not be able to appreciate happiness for what it is, for if there were no sadness, only happiness, we would deem happiness as the norm.

So, when it comes to you pondering why people would want power.

(side note, i define power as the ability to control. the ability to convert your energies into what you desire, for example, I am in power if I want coffee and I call my assistant to get it for me, still in power if I get it myself but I went for the more obvious version
)

It is part of human nature. Which, is also inherently corrupt. We have both a loving side and a hateful side. You can see it in children, nobody teaches them to hit others but they inherently know how to do it. (you could argue they learn from upbringing, but not all children are hit).

So when you say the Love of Power (which is what we have at the moment, very egocentric) moving to the Power of Love, please explain firstly what you mean by 'power of love' and how you would bring about that change in mankind.

Thanks!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Toughiv]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fapython

Exactly, my response was going to be 4 words "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder".

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Take a Glutamine supplement

In theory it should boost production of RGS-14 this sort of explains to me a bit more of why Glutamine is useful as a memory booster

aside from that it will detox the brain of ammonia, it produces glutamic acid and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)

allot easier than waiting for big pharma to market this...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I find that drinking 2-3 litres of water a day, taking fish oils (EPA & DHA) along with exercise and a good amount of antioxidant supplements, im well on my way to remembering things. Sleep is also another good 1

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

See now, when it comes to this area of debate. We are either getting really philosophical or religious. I would rather keep it philosophical, i thought Id say that now, because lets begin

Right, look around you, the world is inherently corrupt. We have happiness and we have sadness. Almost like positive and Negative. Without sadness you would not be able to appreciate happiness for what it is, for if there were no sadness, only happiness, we would deem happiness as the norm.

So, when it comes to you pondering why people would want power.

(side note, i define power as the ability to control. the ability to convert your energies into what you desire, for example, I am in power if I want coffee and I call my assistant to get it for me, still in power if I get it myself but I went for the more obvious version
)

It is part of human nature. Which, is also inherently corrupt. We have both a loving side and a hateful side. You can see it in children, nobody teaches them to hit others but they inherently know how to do it. (you could argue they learn from upbringing, but not all children are hit).

So when you say the Love of Power (which is what we have at the moment, very egocentric) moving to the Power of Love, please explain firstly what you mean by 'power of love' and how you would bring about that change in mankind.

Thanks!

"the ability to control. the ability to convert your energies into what you desire, for example, I am in power if I want coffee and I call my assistant to get it for me" which is basically still based on happiness, right? You said the ability to control, only to then convert the energies into what YOU DESIRE; If you get what you desire, then you are HAPPY. Right, when you used the example of "knowledge is power," it was an example of this whole law/authority thing, so that kind of power would be defined as "power of attorney." Just because there are evil, especially hateful people in this world, it does not make them the happy, powerful people. Think about it, if they were actually powerful people, they WOULD NOT feel the need to do those aweful things, they would already have "the ability to control"- I think that those who don't feel the need to control other people, by murdering, raping them ect. are those that know they can CONTROL THEMSELVES- control thier feelings, their actions and way of life- which, I think, makes them more powerful people.. I mean, if you can't even control yourself, then that must make you weaker than anyone else, right? "Love of power," is what's meant by only a desire to rule and control, and "power of love," love's power (love's ability to control), meaning being controlled by love's intention; this would mean that we would be controlled depending on love- caring for one another, considering one another, helping one another, which will clearly result in a better world for mankind, if we make this life about each other, as well as ourselves (love for ourselves doesn't require murdering someone else, just taking care of our health ect.)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crying-Lightning
"the ability to control. the ability to convert your energies into what you desire, for example, I am in power if I want coffee and I call my assistant to get it for me" which is basically still based on happiness, right? You said the ability to control, only to then convert the energies into what YOU DESIRE; If you get what you desire, then you are HAPPY. Right, when you used the example of "knowledge is power," it was an example of this whole law/authority thing, so that kind of power would be defined as "power of attorney." Just because there are evil, especially hateful people in this world, it does not make them the happy, powerful people. Think about it, if they were actually powerful people, they WOULD NOT feel the need to do those aweful things, they would already have "the ability to control"- I think that those who don't feel the need to control other people, by murdering, raping them ect. are those that know they can CONTROL THEMSELVES- control thier feelings, their actions and way of life- which, I think, makes them more powerful people.. I mean, if you can't even control yourself, then that must make you weaker than anyone else, right? "Love of power," is what's meant by only a desire to rule and control, and "power of love," love's power (love's ability to control), meaning being controlled by love's intention; this would mean that we would be controlled depending on love- caring for one another, considering one another, helping one another, which will clearly result in a better world for mankind, if we make this life about each other, as well as ourselves (love for ourselves doesn't require murdering someone else, just taking care of our health ect.)

Aristotle did establish that the purpose of human life is happiness, that is our overall driving causation behind all of our actions.

When you say instead of the desire to control, more the intention to love, i can completely see where your coming from and I agree with it. However, there is room for error. Everybody's idea of love is subjective, everything is subjective. Some might find it loving to help those that need help, while those people that know they need help might take satisfaction in completing the task all on their own, no matter the effort. see where Im coming from?

This world will never be Utopia. It comes down the the nature of experience. From experience we draw knowledge, but that is through our own subjective perception.

What I think is needed is not "love" but a combination of things. There are many sides to man's nature that need to be addressed. By no means am I Christian, but i sincerely feel they are onto something when that talk about the seven deadly sins. If it werent for peoples Pride etc, we could tell everyone how we are feeling with understanding from the other person, see what i mean?

I think if we start to see things less of "right and wrong" more of this is life, lets make the best of it for everybody. Then it will become a better world.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crying-Lightning

However, there is room for error. Everybody's idea of love is subjective, everything is subjective. Some might find it loving to help those that need help, while those people that know they need help might take satisfaction in completing the task all on their own, no matter the effort. see where Im coming from?

This world will never be Utopia. It comes down the the nature of experience. From experience we draw knowledge, but that is through our own subjective perception.

What I think is needed is not "love" but a combination of things. There are many sides to man's nature that need to be addressed. By no means am I Christian, but i sincerely feel they are onto something when that talk about the seven deadly sins. If it werent for peoples Pride etc, we could tell everyone how we are feeling with understanding from the other person, see what i mean?

I think if we start to see things less of "right and wrong" more of this is life, lets make the best of it for everybody. Then it will become a better world.

Thanks

Even if a "combination" of things are needed, so the point's still proved that love is more power than knowledge, right? Even if someone finds satisfaction in helping themselves, if that person was still loving to those as they wer to him/her, then there would still be peace.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I do not see how the two (love and knowledge) can be compared in "power".

I think we are starting to touch upon the driving forces behind peoples action.

To have a loving motivation can be said to be "better" but only because of the duality we have had ingrained in us since we were children.

Nowadays, people are very egocentric and have selfish needs/motivations, all to fulfill the sense of "i". However, what I believe you are suggesting is where a community worries about others as well, instead of this "whats in it for me attitude".

HOWEVER, when you suggest to "love one another as you love yourself". You have now hit a problem. Language, concepts etc are ALL subjective. We all take our own understanding of what we think they mean, since we all have different experiences of what love is.

If I grew up in a family where my father always wanted what was best for me, provided me with all I wanted but still remained distant, my concept of being loving is going to be different to that of a child who is smothered by their parents all the time right?

So how can we "love one another as we would love ourselves" when we cannot agree on what love is?

I think it always has to be a balance, a balance between the selfish and selfless.

What you think?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I do not see how the two (love and knowledge) can be compared in "power".

I think we are starting to touch upon the driving forces behind peoples action.

To have a loving motivation can be said to be "better" but only because of the duality we have had ingrained in us since we were children.

Nowadays, people are very egocentric and have selfish needs/motivations, all to fulfill the sense of "i". However, what I believe you are suggesting is where a community worries about others as well, instead of this "whats in it for me attitude".

HOWEVER, when you suggest to "love one another as you love yourself". You have now hit a problem. Language, concepts etc are ALL subjective. We all take our own understanding of what we think they mean, since we all have different experiences of what love is.

If I grew up in a family where my father always wanted what was best for me, provided me with all I wanted but still remained distant, my concept of being loving is going to be different to that of a child who is smothered by their parents all the time right?

So how can we "love one another as we would love ourselves" when we cannot agree on what love is?

I think it always has to be a balance, a balance between the selfish and selfless.

What you think?

I think it doesn't really matter how different people define love, because no matter how you make it sound, how you recongnise or understand it, it's still the same feeling for everyone- that's what love is, a feeling. Balance between selfish and selfless? Well, how can that even be?- If you're selfish, then you're just caring for yourself, if you're selfless, then you're caring for anyone but yourself- there is no in-between; so how is that "love one another as we would love ourselves"? However, if we simply loved, then there would be no leaving anyone out of caring for... And if that was the case we would all care for each other and ourselves, so we end up living in more peace. Besides all this is the point. The point lies in what we've established two rants ago; love is more power than knowledge, because it has the power to give what people want, happiness.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Right, firstly love is a feeling yes, but what if someone thought it was loving to inflict pain on someone else. That person being a masochist, so they love it when someone inflicts pain on them and so thinks it is loving to do it others.

Secondly, we have established that to act with a loving intention is better than to act with the intention of control. We have not established Knowledge is less powerful than love.

But then I ask you, what is better and worse? If you hadnt been told as a child that it is "right" to help others etc, then you would surely have a different value system for duality? Yes?

Im really enjoying this
Thanks

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Right, firstly love is a feeling yes, but what if someone thought it was loving to inflict pain on someone else. That person being a masochist, so they love it when someone inflicts pain on them and so thinks it is loving to do it others.

Secondly, we have established that to act with a loving intention is better than to act with the intention of control. We have not established Knowledge is less powerful than love.

But then I ask you, what is better and worse? If you hadnt been told as a child that it is "right" to help others etc, then you would surely have a different value system for duality? Yes?

Im really enjoying this
Thanks

Ok, correction: inflicting pain on someone else and liking it is called being a SADIST, no matter what the reason, and even if someone was being a MASOCHIST by inflicting pain on themselves and liking it, that does not mean they are feeling love in ANY WAY, it means they are enjoying pain. Remember, love is a feeling, not an action, but if people were controlled by loving intention, all they'd want is to nurture, heal and help to provide happiness.

Well, ok, if we havn't already established that knowledge is less powerful than love, here we go: people want power so that they feel happy, satisfied- about themselves, about others, no matter what way they choose to do that.. knowledge does not always provide that true happiness, love always does, because if we all had and gave it, we wouldn't even care exessively or unnecessarily about things like money, so we wouldn't be POWERLESS enough to go round causing arguments, conflict, violence, war, murder ect.

It doesn't really matter what we were told as a child what was "right" does it? Even though people might have variations of what they'd describe as right and wrong, it doesn't stop them feeling love and people know that they want someone to be happy if they love them, it's kinda off-subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join