It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Drug That Could Give You Perfect Visual Memory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Imagine if you could look at something once and remember it forever. You would never have to ask for directions again. Now a group of scientists has isolated a protein that mega-boosts your ability to remember what you see.

Source: io9.com...

I can imagine it and I would wait until it is fully tested but when they make this available you can bet I would be willing to try it. Would you try something like this if it can give you perfect visual memory?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Sounds absolutely amazing! I would be down to be a candidate for the human experiments! Where do I sign up?? Professional black-jack player here I come!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

I didn't even think about that.

Man I would pay big money to have this drug, that is if proven effective on humans.

I don't think they said if they tested on humans, just mice.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This wouldn't be a very good idea in the long run at all, sure it would be good for soldiers who have a mission and need to remember maps etc, but for everyone else no. Everyone has things that they want to forget. That is the reason why humans don't have perfect memories, otherwise we would have them.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am for it. I think it is likely reversible so it should do more good than harm in my opinion. It would be great for my work. I have to keep a lot of data straight in my head from a dozen different scientific disciplines and some times it is rather difficult.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
wow that is awesome. I spend most of my free time memorizing facts and data. This would help exponentially.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Now a group of scientists has isolated a protein that mega-boosts your ability to remember what you see.

Let me guess...

Side effects include; increased blood pressure, risk of heart attack, stroke, loss of vision, headache, paralysis, cancer, insomnia, vomiting, diarrhea, anal leakage, dizziness, hair loss, thoughts of suicide, depression, and is not recommended for women who are pregnant.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by 0nce 0nce]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Any naturally occurence of this protein in nature? Because I would wanna pig out on it.

This would boost our way along to the mythical Singularity.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by postmeme]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The line starts behind me folks. I/m on my way to Vegas to play some cards.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH

Imagine if you could look at something once and remember it forever. You would never have to ask for directions again. Now a group of scientists has isolated a protein that mega-boosts your ability to remember what you see.

Source: io9.com...

I can imagine it and I would wait until it is fully tested but when they make this available you can bet I would be willing to try it. Would you try something like this if it can give you perfect visual memory?

I'm right there with you let the guinea pigs test it first and if it works with no side effects then count me in also. Maybe I will go back to school for (bleep) and giggles.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
If it worked... you bet I'd use it. All the stuff I have trouble remembering is the stuff I want to remember. Any sort of trauma that people might want to forget, you'd probably remember for the rest of your life even without perfect visual recall.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I wonder if it will let you remember things better that have happened in the past prior to taking the drug, or if it only works with memories gained after taking it.

It would be great to remember sexual encounters with visual clarity for later 'use'

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This one of those rare speculative things I would say is actual biochemistry.

I've read much on the subject of memory. There have been people, some still living, who have unbelievably comprehensive memories.

They can read a random number of tens of thousands of digits and recall it years later.

One fascinating case, the person claimed he recalled things as an arrangement of colours rather than a sequence of numerals and letters.

These people lead fairly normal lives, just never forgot anything, even trivial.

So it's not only possible there is a natural existing brain chemical that let's you remember everything, it's demonstrable.

Mike

[edit on 5-7-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0nce 0nce

Now a group of scientists has isolated a protein that mega-boosts your ability to remember what you see.

Let me guess...

Side effects include; increased blood pressure, risk of heart attack, stroke, loss of vision, headache, paralysis, cancer, insomnia, vomiting, diarrhea, anal leakage, dizziness, hair loss, thoughts of suicide, depression, and is not recommended for women who are pregnant.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by 0nce 0nce]

Don't forget the occasional bout of homicidal tendencies, psychosis, and enuresis.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

Does this mean when I look at a girl I love and I'm far away, I can appreciate her beauty in clear vivid clarity any time? I can experience a special moment, or remember the face of a criminal in clear accuracy?

Sounds like storing pictures on a computer, then opening them up to see them again, sounds damn amazing!?

I wonder what the side effect might be?

[edit on 5-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I remember watching a program about a person with a perfect memory and they wished they hadn't had it. Not only do you remember all the good stuff, but also all the horrible and painful things that you witnessed or had happened to you are as vivid as they would of happened a minute ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eonnn
I wonder if it will let you remember things better that have happened in the past prior to taking the drug, or if it only works with memories gained after taking it.

It would be great to remember sexual encounters with visual clarity for later 'use'

I prefer the beer goggles personally after all I want to remember a hottie not the other way around as so much for bragging rights lol.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
I remember watching a program about a person with a perfect memory and they wished they hadn't had it. Not only do you remember all the good stuff, but also all the horrible and painful things that you witnessed or had happened to you are as vivid as they would of happened a minute ago.

I had an Uncle with a photographic memory and it sucked for him and why?

Because you know all the direct conflicts in science/history etc. and realize no one actually knows what their talking about. You then view the planet as being full of idiots, who believe 2 things that directly contradict each other. If you talk about it you know you will be placed in a mental institution for being paranoid and maybe delusional tacked on to it.

So what did he do? He became a photographer who never opened his mouth and lived with his mother because he couldn't forget the awful things his father put her through and felt guilty his whole life over it because he was too little to do anything about it. He died the day after she did.

So no thanks. I would rather stay ignorant in things and keep a low profile, just with lots of notes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

nobody knows what they are actually talking about? Surely that is in the nature of knowledge itself. You will only have evidence, never proof.

As for your grandfather, im sorry to hear that. However, to have a photographic memory does not mean you would live the life he did. It was his character/personality that kept him with his mother, if he wasnt a person who felt guilt or loved his mother, then he wouldnt have been in the same scenario.

Thanks

Brad

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
Sounds absolutely amazing! I would be down to be a candidate for the human experiments! Where do I sign up?? Professional black-jack player here I come!

I wonder if this WOULD really help you in Blackjack (presumable by being able to count cards).

Perhaps you would be able to remember exactly what each card looked like, but does that mean you would also be able to remember which cards were played when --

-- for example, you would perhaps have a perfect visual memory of what the queen of diamonds looked like, but does that mean you would be able to remember if it came from the present deck of cards being played or the previous deck.

That's similar to what the author of the article wondered: If a person reads a page of a book, would the drug allow them to remember the exact text on that page, or would they only have a good visual memory of what the page looked like.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join