It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. launches 'major operation' in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

U.S. launches 'major operation' in Afghanistan

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- U.S. troops have launched a "major operation" against Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan, U.S. military officials announced in Afghanistan early Thursday.
U.S. Marines gather for a briefing in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, on Wednesday.

About 4,000 Americans, mostly from the Marines, and 650 Afghan soldiers and police launched Operation Khanjar -- "strike of the sword" -- in the Helmand River
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well here we go ladies and gentlemen. From here on out its going to finally get serious in Afghanistan. It's been on the back burner for years as Iraq took center stage.

Now that that's ending and more troops are being deployed we will be hearing a lot about the Taliban and it will be even more crucial for us to stay aware of this situation.

Stay tuned...

I'll be adding on to this post as the days and weeks pass

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The only part I don't like is what is to come.

Eventually the Marines will be blamed for atrocities and civilian deaths and Obama and company will spend their time apologizing to the world and revamping the whole operation.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
So...we're going full speed ahead into Afghanistan, even though we know North Korea has wmd's...

And the majority of the democrats blamed Bush for what exactly?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Solo, if your patient enough you will see the US forces thrust the Talibans into Pakistan, giving the Talibans the opportunity to take over Pakistan. Once they take over, they too will have WMD's just like N Korea.

Then we can negotiate with them the same way we do with NK.

All is fair in love and war.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Then we can negotiate with them the same way we do with NK.

...sure...oh, you mean with resolutions, yep, they're working miracles with North Korea...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
July 4 is the day:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront
So...we're going full speed ahead into Afghanistan, even though we know North Korea has wmd's...

And the majority of the democrats blamed Bush for what exactly?

I'm not a Democrat but since you asked, I blame Bush for:

-Falsifying WMD "evidence," used to build the case for pre-emptive action in Iraq.

- Strong arming the intelligence community in an attempt to force them to "find," and Iraqi link to 9/11...even when they knew it wasn't true

- Utter lack of foresight and planning for the "post military phase," in Iraq.

- Failure to provide sufficient equipment to the troops including body armor

- The death of over 3,000 Americans.

That's before we even start discussing his oversight of an economic collapse.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Boy, all I can say is thank God for us Americans. If it weren't for us, I mean, shoot, who would build that country?

Also, what is so cool is... it will show all the other countries that don't attack us who is boss. Maybe if they actually do something to us we will leave them alone...then again...

But of course, it is dire that we eliminate evil from the world, so listen up foreign nations. If you harbor evil, (queue drum roll and Superman song) America will be there to take... you... out!...

(all hail Stephen Colbert)

[edit on 1-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

...sure...oh, you mean with resolutions, yep, they're working miracles with North Korea...

Ahhh, yes. Star for you

bombing them back to the stone age, and or turning them into a parking lot would be the logical next step...

Sanctions, and diplomcay
, oh brother, who heard of such non-sense?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
lol well there is one good thing you could say about bush since after 9/11 there hasnt been any more terrorist attacks on american soil and he didnt take no [bullshark] from anybody...im not trying to start an e-war over Bush so if it upsets you disregard it

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Interesting perspective fellas.
Stay tuned I'll add more as time passes check back.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by T_Clem

One would think not preventing 911 would have been enough. It's not like it wasn't the worst terrorist attack on the US in history. I'm not sure why people are willing to give him a pass on it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Floating thru Reality

Because unless you can provide evidence, in front of a willing audience, that he was neglegent or complicit, history will show he handled it the way anyone would in office. No matter who his father was, what his oil connections, or who was his vice president and advisors were, history will paint a favorable picture of him just because he was President at the time of the attack.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
US Marines storm south in major Afghan offensive

CAMP DWYER, Afghanistan (AFP) — Thousands of US Marines poured into Afghanistan's Taliban heartlands in an air and ground assault that marked a high-risk test for President Barack Obama's new war plan.

Dozens of aircraft ferried out US forces from bases before dawn, aiming to take control of insurgent bastions of Helmand province in the country's south ahead of landmark Afghan elections next month.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I find it absolutely ridiculous that other countries who are in Afghanistan, do not do what the Americans are doing. Those european countries whom wont involve themselves in this, or help in any way to stop the taliban in the south, should rethink why they are there in the first place.

God help us all if a major conflict was to ever break out again in Europe, all!

BREAKING NEWS: An american soldier has been captured in Eastern Afghanistan, will updae once I learn more!

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The opium trade is a serious business! Anyway,i also suspect this will make the situation in pakistan more unstable,i also believe we will see an even bigger influx from pakistan into afghanistan than there is now...they have quite the number of recruits to put it lightly.Unless America has one hell of a plan they will simply get bogged down like the soviets before them.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Oh Slayer, I was hoping you’d start this thread.
When I can’t wrap my mind around a subject as convoluted as this and I’d rather just hide my head in a waste bin I know at least I’ll find some clarity from your thread(s) and the people that post on them.

Here's my question though - why now?

NK just fired more missiles - and Obama’s putting the push on in Afghanistan...

*Sticks my head back in the waste bin* (About the only place I can hear an echo of PEACE when I scream it out loud)...

peace

[edit on 2-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

US offensive in Afghanistan targets Taliban stronghold

As the offensive got under way, the military said that an American soldier who had been missing since Tuesday was believed to have been captured in Paktika Province, in eastern Afghanistan. A spokesman for the Taliban could not confirm that the soldier was being held by militants.

Over the past several years, British forces have struggled to permanently wrest territory in Helmand away from entrenched Taliban insurgents. The fertile province leads the nation in poppy cultivation and has become a cash cow for insurgents involved in the drug trade.

However, Helmand’s rich agriculture land and large population also make it attractive as an initial target for the new US-led counterinsurgency push, say analysts.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Where will they go next??! Uzhbekistan? Kyrgryzstan? or Pakistan?

Place bets now!

Mine is on Uzhbekistan or Kyrgyrzstan, this is a nice doorway into Kazakhstan.

EMM

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join