It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar: The Most Destructive Yet Ignored Addiction of All

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I recently fasted(water only) for nearly a weeks time and meditated often during that time. Meditation was almost natural when trying to go to sleep by about day 3. In fact when we find it hard to sleep it isn't because we should consume something to make us go to sleep it is that we should meditate. When we can feel the connection to everything else around us we are at peace. Knowing that the connection is not enough. One must feel it in the moment which is when one truly goes to sleep.

"Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose that pass that leads to wisdom."-Gautama

One of the first things I realized before deciding to fast that actually led me to it was the fact that pure sugar and high sugar foods that cause the dreaded spikes and dips in our blood sugar levels should be avoided. During a dip from insulin someone might start feeling tired or just plain down and this is usually when this person will go get some more sugar and cause another spike. Leading to a never ending perpetuation of spikes and sharp declines in blood sugar levels. Sugar is one of the most prevalent and ignored addictions I can think of. Getting on the path to spiritual awareness and from there to enlightenment should probably start with not being physically addicted. Sugar really robs us of our creativity, energy, and growth without even knowing the cause. I felt that it took about two days for my blood sugar levels to finally stabilize, and that says nothing about the addiction to quick and easy energy. After all is it not the need to acquire energy that we have creativity for anyway?

Anyone who has ever tried to meditate is probably somewhat if not completely aware of this. Lets enlighten the rest of our brethren. Star and flag this important topic. All counter arguments are welcomed as well. Except disinformation. Don't even say:"but don't we need glucose." No duh, reread if that is what you are thinking by the time you get to this sentence.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Your OP title states that Sugar is the most destructive addiction of all,
I have not heard of fathers returning home and beating their wife and kids after drinking 10 pints of sugar water.
Junkies going on crime spree's to finance their next sugar fix.
People losing their job, home and family cos they lost their last kilo of sugar on the turn of a card.
I really don't see where you expect this thread to go

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0mmonen5e
Sugar really robs us of our creativity, energy, and growth without even knowing the cause.

Huh? Sugar gives me a good energy kick. Living a life free from sugar would be pretty difficult, because fructose is in so many natural foods. And, aren't monosaccharides an important dietary requirement? Maybe moderation is the key.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Just a quick curious question.

When you say fasted for a week with water, do you mean you did not eat at all for a week? or maybe you eat at night only?

ps. isn't sugar in many natural healthy foods such as fruits?....

[edit on 1-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I like my tea and my coffee like my women...bitter!

Sugar can make people hyper, so can caffine, so can ants in their pants!

Ants have been around a lot longer and are far stronger and numerous than humans, they will outlive the New World Order...

Ants that's the real enemy!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I can confess , as a sugar addict it is bad. I like the OP have done my own fasting before. 5 days. I know how good it feels to have a cleaned out system and how bad it feels when you have a sugar dip... I have only recently felt my first one...

I'd say me and the old lady go through maybe a pound of sugar a week. Coffee.
I take 3 to 4 teaspoons in a 1/4 cup and she normally takes three teaspoons in a smaller cup. And we drink alot of coffee these days.

Its a step down process.

Anyways I can attest that Sugar is a bane of modern America. When we give infants mountain dew in their sippy bottles we can expect rotten teeth and obesity and very horrible mood swings and mental defects.

Over indulgence in Sugar is costing us a great deal of problems here in the US.

Just look at the citizens here and then compare the SIZE of said citizens to the citizens of other nations....

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Not all sugar is the same.

Corn sugar (high fructose corn syrup HFCS) is not a sweet as cane sugar but packs more calories..
alcohol ethanol is sugar and alone its not sweet.
Invert sugars like sucrose have no calories.
starch is a complex sugar that breaks down into simple sugars.

The biggest problem is there is not index of sweetness vis calories.

If the public had a index they likely would ask for lower calorie sugars.

Sugar and HFCS have the same caloric density as most carbohydrates.
but HFCS and Carbohydrates are not near as sweet as CANE sugar.

Most sodas that use HFCS have twice as much or more HFCS in them because HFCS is not as sweet.

This causes the calorie content to be higher in sodas with HFCS then sodas with cane sugars.

This is why the obesity rate JUMPED when the soda companies switched from CANE sugar to HFCS.

when companies remove fat and sugar from products they replace them with carbohydrates.
this means that they do nothing to stop weight gain

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
I have not heard of fathers returning home and beating their wife and kids after drinking 10 pints of sugar water.
People losing their job, home and family cos they lost their last kilo of sugar on the turn of a card.

PEACE,
RK

To you all I have to say is read the title, and reread what I wrote.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Just a quick curious question.

When you say fasted for a week with water, do you mean you did not eat at all for a week? or maybe you eat at night only?

ps. isn't sugar in many natural healthy foods such as fruits?....

When I say fasted for a week I really mean I never ingested anything but water. I definitely had nothing before going to sleep. This contributes to have more lucid dreams and waking up feeling alert. I can now get right out of bed and jump into a cold shower without going into shock

Yes, fruits, I expected this. If you would research you would see that fruits have a form of sugar called fructose which is SLOWLY broken down by the body. Slow release is the key. When you eat a potato it provides the body with energy. The energy might amount to the same amount that I may be able to get from a can of soda, but the difference is the time the it takes to get into the blood stream. What I am talking about here is a spike in sugar levels that gives a sense of euphoria for some(me) which is then followed by a pancreatic insulin response that lowers blood sugar levels below healthy levels. This is usually when more sugar is ingested by the addict. I was way past this point though. I would come home from work/school eat an entire organic chocolate bar in less than 10 minutes. I would feel good for a short while before I get extremely tired before I zombie walk to bed and pass out! My theory is that when I pass out, I don't breathe adequately for a while or maybe it is just the unstable sugar levels. I do know that I would wake the next day with blurrier vision and sometimes a headache. It wasn't always chocolate but sometimes other sugars or a bunch of cereal. It all does about the same thing.

I also meditated right after waking and right before sleeping. If I had sugar right before I would not be able to get to have as much control over my mind. When I first broke my fast, I had some organic juice. It said that it had 25g of sugar on the back. What I did not see is that it had 2 servings in that tiny bottle. After killing that drink I felt my entire body getting really amped. Not really in a good way, in a sort of out of control way. Not like the vibrations I feel during meditation, but more like tiny throbbing all over(ever feel sort of a throbbing near the eye? because that is the sort of feeling I had all over). I think even 25 grams of sugar would have had some uncomfortable effect because during that weeks time my body had just began ketosis. Metal smell in my pits.. weird taste in my mouth.. really smelly piss, etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I remember reading year agi that sugar was one of the biggest killers in the world it burns the body out. Buddist monks believe something similar too

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yep, I believe it. I used to smoke, drink, etc. etc. College.. This summer I have been taking advantage of my free time to listen to my body. I used to have this pain in the side of my right lung. Before I went on the fast I had already quit smoking cigarettes, but the pain persisted for a month. Then I fasted and the pain never came back. Fasting had a positive affect on my posture and my breathing.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by C0mmonen5e]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
sounds like if it tastes good, spit it out it must be bad for you.
coffe colo beer ciggs red meat white meat bacon the list goes on.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The question that you should ask is why am I really consuming this. To many, the way food is eaten is just like the way a cigarette is smoked. There is no good reason for it. We don't eat to serve our vessel(body), the Earth, our brethren, or even God(The One, the Whole, the Permanent One, whatever the name). Getting closer to God actually has advantages. Creativity, wisdom, health, and many other sought after traits are granted by a connection with the Whole. Smoking does nothing good for anyone either but they don't think of truth and permanence as they puff away. Doing things for the long run doesn't exist in the mind of an addict. It's all about "now, faster, omg this is taking too many seconds!" Sugar reduces the capacity for patience which is a very important virtue. Patience is even useful for tasks that have a set time for completion. This is something one must come to realize because I have a hard time explaining how that is in words, but we do know based on many credible sources that patience is good for the healthy mind, body, and soul.

Tasting good, what about smelling good? If you give yourself a break from over-consumption you will regain sensory strength in all of your senses. While I was fasting I took great pleasure in going outside and breathing in the air. Different places smelled better than others and the food people were cooking smelled amazing. I enjoyed the smells just about as much as the taste of a chocolate bar, but what is the difference here? The chocolate bar is a thing in the now that will take away from the later on. The smells and sounds and sights would just keep getting stronger as the gap between one and God is reduced.

I have the theory that they do something really bad to us in the hospitals as soon as we are born so as to create this gap from God. The vaccines, the fluoride tablets, and circumcision are all starting to come out as poisons we never needed. What kind of evolving animal needs shots and pills right out of the womb in the wild? None.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0mmonen5e

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

PEACE,
RK

To you all I have to say is read the title, and reread what I wrote.

I did read the title and OP again and I saw your reference of how you feel sugar effects you however, the title states "Sugar: the most destructive yet ignored addiction of all"

I am open to debate and eduction so do you have any proof that an addiction to sugar is more destructive than an addiction to nicotine for example? Or is that not what you are saying?

I do not understand the connection with the NWO either.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

cleared the contents of a double post

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Ok since you obviously didn't reread the title with actual attention and proper interrelation of words with a higher form of understanding. Here it is: The title says Sugar: The most destructive YET IGNORED. How ignored is the addiction to alcohol, nicotine, coc aine, and most anything else? The other thing that is ignored is ignorance itself. We often perceive ignorant statements as some kind of hail-able high truth. Stop it. Your smart-ass tone in the first reply is an example. The only person that thought that and replied on this forum was you, however. Get your head out of the man's ass. Maybe you did since you are on this forum but you still have his sludge all over your face, lol

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by C0mmonen5e

I know what you mean I get constant changes of energy, I may feel full of energy and joy and then I may suddenly feel slow, tired, depressed.

Thanks to your post I've been researching water fasting and seeing the amazing benefits it has for health.

Also I read how it's great for the mind too, they claim to feel more aware, more alert, more positive and more energy! You would think the opposite would happen!

I also read that when you go back to eating, plain foods such as a potato would taste better than before, you can taste it in more of it's glory without having to add salt etc

Anyway thanks to you I'm going to try this for a week...

I did some reseach on the topic, but I'd like to know your view too.

So a few questions if you don't mind.

How hard is it? Does it get easier or harder as the days go by?

What do you think is best, fruit juice fast or water fast?

They claim it's great to lose weight with. Did you lose weight? if so do you feel it took any muscle away? making you look weaker? Or did it simply take the fat away and made you look more toned and healthier?
Does your last meal before the fast effect anything?
And what meal do you start off withwhen you break the fast?

Thanks!!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Hey phoenix,
I'll give you a little day-by-day. The only thing you will need is free time and good water. I don't recommend drinking water from one of those pitcher filters because they don't actually do anything to improve the water quality-only taste. If you have a reverse osmosis system installed into your water system or you have a water distiller that will be fine. If not, fear not. Just buy about 5 1 gallon jugs. I bought a few different kinds just to see what I like the most. You can imagine that after having only water for a few days you will be able to tell the difference. Do not over drink water. Just go with how you feel. I got the CLEAR plastic jugs because I heard that the plastic can get into the water. The jugs that are made with the rough plastic is what I decided to avoid. This is strictly up to you though.

Day 1-The hardest day in my opinion. This is because there are no accomplishments to look back on. I've had moments in the past where I would rationalize myself into failing to avoid temptation. Usually the first day is when you feel the worst dip as well. I suggest making sure you don't have too much work to do that day. Being able to lounge and listen to music or do an enjoyable hobby this day is important. Stress is often what leads me to rationalizations and excuses--"Oh I have so much work to do today, so I'm definitely gonna eat a PB&J before."
Day 2-Woke up feeling alert and well rested on this day. I had my last bowel movement on the second night. Going to sleep was particularly difficult because I had conditioned myself into sleeping after gorging on food(horrible for mental and physical health in just about every way).
Day 3-had to drag myself out of bed a little bit, but I found that going out into the sunlight does wonders for my energy level. To an extent. We do get energy from sunlight. The morning sun is also the most gentle and the air is the freshest in the morning before the morning commuters. I suggest taking a nice calm walk, and pay good attention to taking deep slow breaths. I started to experience symptoms of Ketosis on this day. On this night going to sleep was like hell! I was tossing and turning and I just could not go to sleep. The best thing to do if this happens is to drink some water and focus on taking deep slow breaths. You might try the "4-fold breath." It is almost as though meditation was necessary for me to be able to fall asleep. I laid down on my back making sure I felt comfortable and faced the skylight. Since that night I was meditating every morning and night.
The rest of the days up till 7 feel pretty similar. All of the senses intensify more and more as the days go by. Meditations become very rewarding as well the longer you go. Dreams should be come more lucid and vivid. Taking cold showers for me was no problem. My whole body felt warmer. In a good way. I feel like it gets easier as the days go by because you can feel your body changing and healing. On day 3 after I started to breathe and try to meditate I felt my entire body vibrating. It felt as though the cells in my body were really enjoying the cleaner blood and higher oxygen content in it. At the same time when you walk down the street you will smell foods you may have never noticed the smells of before. Take in that great smell and push on. I felt that as the days went by my ability to concentrate on what I was doing was greatly improved. My energy level was more stable than before the fast. A constant evened out feeling emerges. My level of creativity was greatly improved. You will learn a lot about your body on this fast. I look forward to hearing about what your experiences. I did lose some weight. I have never had to worry about my weight so I didn't weight myself but I know I did get told I looked skinnier. My body feels more efficient now, and my build still looks pretty muscular.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Water fasts are the most effective. Spiritually and for detoxification because during a juice fast the sugar in the juice gets used as energy more than the fat in our bodies.

Before I start the fast I would try eat a well balanced diet. If you were eating healthy before the fast you wouldn't need one. On the way out of the fast you can transition into juice fasting. To reduce the sugar intake I would dilute the juice into water. This will taste very good even though it probably would not before the fast.

Water fasting made me look more toned and healthy.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by C0mmonen5e

thanks for the reply!

I think I'm going to buy bottled water, in the UK I'm going to choose either Volvic or Evian, I think both are very pure.
en.wikipedia.org...(mineral_water)
en.wikipedia.org...

Would mineral water be bad?

I usally drink tap water, I did have a filter but I haven't bought a new one for time.

Anyway some may think it may be more money to buy these bottles, but when you think about it, if your not going to eat anything, then it's going to be a lot less money spent haha.

I guessed that day 1 would be a bit harder. I've done ramadan before, whcih means you cannot drink water or eat, but you get to break the fast at sunset which may be around 9pm or 4pm depending on the time of the year.

As I noticed it became much easier as the days went by, your body becomes used to the fast! A strange feeling.

The thing about ramadan is it may be a bit easier, but the fact that you can't drink all day can be harder, but I think overall water fast might be a bit harder because you don't get to break fast each end of day.

The advice on the sun is a good idea, we have sun at the moment, but living in London, well it aint gonna last long, grey skies are too common

But the morning fresh air walk is great. I have a big park with fields and ponds and many trees close by that I regulary go to.

How the water fast effects meditation or OBE/AP is interesting, I'll see what happens.

Anyway thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to update my progress, my aim is 7 days.

Tonight will end my first 24 hours.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join