It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar: The Most Destructive Yet Ignored Addiction of All

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by C0mmonen5e

You know whats interesting.

There was a woman in my country (Scotland) who claimed that she could live on air alone. Nobody believed it. She set out to prove it.

She went to the top of a mountain on a spiritual journey to prove that this could be done. She was found in a tent dead next to her diary. The excuse given by this spiritual "prophet" was air pollution.

en.wikipedia.org...

Despite this people actually delude themselves so far that they believe you can live on air alone.

But I guess this is all just disinformation and I must be crazy for thinking that there are certain things that the human body actually does need. What times we live in where men ignore the whisper and listen to the shout.

I would tread carefully if you find this addictive is all im going to say.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wow, finally, I have been waiting for someone to make a thread such as this.

I believe this to be exactly true. Here is a great example as to why:

My mother started working civil service when she was just 19. She had to be ther early and therefor got up early in the morning. So naturally, she looked for something that would give her a boost in the morning. So, she started to drink coffee (which was cheap at a measley 5 cents a cup then). Of course, what goes in coffee, but sugar. She began to drink it more and more with more and more sugar. Up to two pots or more a day. Now, people say coffee can have negative effects, and surely it can give you a high which drops you down to a low later in the day.

She retired over 13 years ago. She was married for 35 tumultuous years. I remember my parents fighting everyday (just about) of my childhood. My mom always, and I mean always had erratic behaviour. very high highs and very low lows. People who could hear here from other houses (yeah, that bad) thought she was either crazy or had some form of manic depression. I looked into it and came to the conclusion she has some extreme form of anxiety disorder, maybe coupled with some depression. I left home when I was 18 hoping to escape the madness...lol. Anyway, getting to the point when I was 22 I opened a cafe. Where we would serve all sorts of different coffee drinks, espresso drinks and pretty much anything with sugar. My mom began to live with me after her and my father divorced. And of course I would help her feed her habit practically everyday. Being in the coffee industry I tried t learn about it as much as I could. I came across a study done by harvard medical institute (or something like that) and there basic message that coffee is not bad for your body, but if you have any symptoms of anxiety then you should not be drinking it. So that is what i attributed her symptoms to, and I tried to force her to stop drinking coffee. It didnt work. Anyway, trying to move on here.

Another thing my mom (whom never was heavy set) used to do was to eat at least 1 doghnut a day. A normal person, could maybe eat one a few times a week, maybe. They kinda get repulsive after too many imo. So here we have a lady that has drinken 2 pots of coffee a day to go with at least 1 if not more than 1 doughnut a day for 35+ years. Today, she is 63, still drinks her coffee with sugar multiple times a day. But now, because coffee has gotten a little more expensive she has limited how much coffee grains she uses by at least half, but still adds the same amount of sugar.

That is when I realized what her addiction really is. It is not the coffee like I thought for all these years. It is the sugar in her coffee that has employed and supplemented her emotional sickness for the last 30+ years. I noticed everything she ate besides some dinner had sugar in it. I dont want to paint a bad picture of her. She is truly one of the most generous people you will ever know and has been a good mother, but she has always succomed and battled with her emotions and being on these highs and lows. Besides everyone that tried to help her in my years as a child growing up, i have tried to confront her about it recently, but she just brushes it off and wont listen to a thing me or my wife tells her. She believs there is nothing wrong with her intake of sugar.

The sad thing is is that she goes to bed almost everynight closer to 7:30 than a normal time of 9 or 10ish because she gets so tired when she comes down from her little sugar buzzes from drinking her morning sweetness...She still goes throug her highs and lows and wont get off the....cane...
...but i appreciate this thread, becasue i believe it to be very true.

Hopefully someone will learn from this that needs to learn.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
BTW, star and flag.

Just reading through the thread, I find it odd all the detractors.

having had that cafe, i can tell you there are far more exampes i could give (maybe not as extreme) of people being addicted to the sugar/ caffeine mix or just the sugar itself.

I believe i got hooked on the good ole white choclate espresso in the morning...there is a huge differenc I notice when I have it and when I dont.

Life basically sucks when I dont have it

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Sugar is awful for you. Seriously. I cut sugar out of my diet almost altogether about two months ago after reading Ray Kurzweil's books Transcend and Fantastic Voyage and I have already lost about 15 pounds. Probably more fat than that because I have always been athletic but I am getting a bit older and due to an injury last year I am just now getting back to being active and have gained a lot of muscle back. But I can definitely tell a huge difference and you will be surprised at how much sugar is in practically everything out there. I only drink water, some juice, little coffee, and some tea now. Never any soft drink, and use stevia in place of sugar where you can. Some stevia comes with maltodextrin in it which is good if you want a thicker- thickness. >.> Yeah.

Calorie restriction is good fasting is not. Here's why.Calorie restriction can be taken overboard in humans so I personally would steer clear of some of these societies that do CR but CR in mice has enabled them to live 50 percent longer than their compatriots... that means 1.5 times as long. But those mice still ate. It probably works in humans as well, but as I said I think some of the groups go overboard and they do not look healthy at all. Fasting and falling below a certain amount of nutritional intake is really bad for you all around and including your brain. Mystical experiences aside your body will scrounge together materials to produce the fats and proteins it needs. Some of these are slightly different and for example your brain is 60 percent fat and your body will use different fats if it has to rather than the most effective ones. We will eventually be able to manipulate our bodies to the molecular level but in the meantime stay healthy. Supplement and exercise. Sugar is bad tho definitely.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by miragezero]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
very true. almost everything you said brotha.
star and flagg!!
its amazing how others are quick to judge others for certain drug choices...when in fact coffee, and sugar and many more are hiiighly more addictive.
it changes your outlook
it takes control of your physical body (makes u hyper amp'd up)
it makes u do things u normally wouldn't (WORK HARD/motivated)
whether its for good or bad, it is a drug.
lol

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
On a fast the body is able to learn, cell by cell, what needs to be consumed and what does not. Over time these cells communicate back to the brain what exact nutritional intake is required. Cells must be tought through EXPERIENCE what is needed and what is not. Cells are a lot like the masses of people and the soul(source of truth) uses the brain(the control center, governor, government) to put the cells to work doing what is best. When the people(cells) are forced or coerced into finally understanding what is best the body(the people) and the soul(the center of information, truth, mysticism) and the brain(government) are able to work in harmony to reach their highest possible destiny.

Addiction is the only thing that prevents people from truely pursuing true and ever lasting joy and a sense of completion and peace.

It is true, fasting should only be done as long as necessary, but for a short a period as possible. The period when one can stop is the point at which the control center, the source of truth, and the cells are all in complete and constructive dialogue. This dialogue means that the people(cells) can freely communicate to the government(brain) what they truely need in order to accomplish something greater than anything they can do alone. The mystic teachings already have the answer to the question of what needs to be done, so the government, with which the cells all share a connection must be able to listen along with its cells(citizens) to listen and obey God, the universal whole, the Whole, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
???...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join