It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni is the only known prehistoric subterranean temple in the world. For background on it please refer to the linked entry, this thread will only focus on the unknowns, the mysteries of it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/161e56d2d303.jpg[/atsimg]

The article From the otherworld to another world? (among a few other sources) by alternative-archaeology researcher Phillip Coppens makes some astonishing claims some of which I have turned into questions and expanded upon for this thread.

* If it was only discovered in 1902 by chance, then why does the much older name of the place on the surface, "Tal-Gherien" mean "of the caves"? Whoever gave that name may have known something, but kept it secret, just like the discoverers of the cave (military workers) tried to keep it secret initially.

* Why were the reports of Emmanuel Magri, the first official excavator of the site, prevented from being published? Why, upon his death in 1907 had all of his notebooks on the excavation disappeared?

* Why were the bones of humans and animals that were found, mixed and why were there no complete human skeletons? Why was it originally said that the bones of 33 000 people were found and this figure later changed to 7000? And why have most of these bones disappeared? They were put on record, so where are they?

* What is the exact nature of the elongated skulls found there? And why do only six of the originally eleven remain in the museum? What happened to the others?

* Was the depiction of a Bison Bull removed from one of the walls of the underground temple? Was it because that species was extinct by 3600 B.C. (the time the temple was supposed to have been built) as a Dr. Anton Mifsud claims? And is it true that the pictures removal was ordered by the Museum Director as claimed?

* Why was another underground temple, the Hypogeum of Santa Lucia completely sealed off and a cemetery built over it, making it impossible to research?

* Why was another underground temple on the nearby Island of Gozo, which was discovered in 1820, "lost" for more than a hundred years only to be "rediscovered" in 1964? And why did it take until 1994 to re-excavate it? And why had parts of it been destroyed back in the 19th Century?

* Why do some statues found at the Gozo temple show human-animal hybrids, such as a person with a pigs head? Any connections to the mixed animal-human bones found at Ħal-Saflieni?

* Is there any truth to the tales of strange humanoid beings dwelling in the caverns below? Is there any truth to the tales of disappearing children and people?

The purpose of this thread is to examine whether the assertions made by Coppens and other alternative researchers are true and if so, to find some very much needed answers to them. The thread is also to use the intelligence of ATS-members who might come up with more on the subject.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
One of the "mysterious accounts", quoted from Wikipedia. As far as I know, this first appeared 1940 in the National Geographic.

There is an account that in the 1940s a British embassy worker, Miss Lois Jessup, went on a tour of the Hypogeum and convinced a guide to let her explore a 3ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level. She claims that after squeezing through this chamber she came into a large room; where she was standing there was a large cliff with a steep drop and the floor of the cavern could not be seen. Across the cavern there was a small ledge with an opening in the wall. According the Ms. Jessup, a number of 'humanoid beings' that were covered in white hair and hunched over came out of this opening. They raised their palms in her direction and a large gust of wind filled the cavern, extinguishing the light of her candle. She then claimed that she felt something brush past her. When she went back to the Hypogeum on another occasion, she was told no such tour guide had ever worked on the site. Sometime after Miss Jessup's first visit, a group of school children and their teacher visited the Hypogeum on an outing and entered the same burial chamber, which then collapsed while they were inside. Search parties could not conduct a thorough search for the children or their teacher due to the cave-in. The parents of the children claimed that, for weeks, they could hear the voices of their children coming from under the ground in several parts of the island.[1][2]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Very strange, could there be some connection between these ancient caverns and the claims of underground ET cavern systems.

Could these places be entryways to such places as underground cities ?

Did the artifacts found inside these places contradict modern belief depicting the use of genetic manipulation in our past?

If any of these facts are true, then this is a big deal. Those responsible for the cover up should be judged.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's a shame tourism has resulted in the complete bastardization of such a fascinating site. Nothing like a glass looking gallery over the entrance and nice safe steel walkways through the catacombs to experience archeology at it's finest, hell, why not a moving walkway while we're at it? I hate it when they feel they need to "sanitize" a site before sharing it with the public. This site now looks like it has all the thrill of a Disney ride.

If you're wondering what I'm ranting about take a look at HISTORICAL SITES OF MALTA, to see the grand re-opening of the "new" Hal Saflieni Hypogeum of Paola.

The Hypogeum does look like it might be a leftover of ancient neolithic worship or belief system (some say its paleolithic), perhaps it's people were seeking to avoid contact with more civilized cultures infiltrating their lands? Such a neolithic culture may have practiced a form of animism that led them to combine the bones of their deceased with animal bones, or depicted "hybrid" animal/human species. The painted wall in the decorated room even has a shaman-like quality to it.

Another debate surrounding this site is is it paleolithic or neolithic?

You mention the "bison / bull" depiction (why on earth would a museum director order its removal?), does that offer a clue it its age?

The age of Taurus began 4430BC and lasted to 2270BC, so a depiction of a bull fits in with the possibility of it belonging to a neolithic culture. Many of the "bull" cults in ancient near east cultures originated around that time, and Malta is not so far from the bull-oriented Minoan civilization in Crete. But the bull depiction may only show that the site was still in use at that time, and any earlier animal depictions eradicated in favor of the new zodiac form during the precession of equinoxes, just as bulls were eradicated in favor of rams a couple thousand years later.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I find it very odd that remains in Malta always get destroyed or disappear

definitely something about Malta someone doesn't want us to discover

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Don't most ancient cultures have some sort of representation of human/animal hybrids?

It'd be a really great area to see more research and pictures from, I went through a set of catacombs in Prague that were spectacular, right in the city centre, went down about 9 levels.

WarrenB - what do you mean about Malta removing/destroying artifacts? Thinking it's anything to do with the Knights?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Don't most ancient cultures have some sort of representation of human/animal hybrids?

It'd be a really great area to see more research and pictures from, I went through a set of catacombs in Prague that were spectacular, right in the city centre, went down about 9 levels.

WarrenB - what do you mean about Malta removing/destroying artifacts? Thinking it's anything to do with the Knights?

the knights left their mark but, I read somewhere that remains have been found over the years and stored in various palces then the places burn down or the remains vanish

suspicious indeed

[edit on 29-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
You would have to think that long after the original culture that spawned these caverns died out that newer peoples would have taken up residence in them as they offered a perfect blend of secrecy and protection. God knows what secrets laid buried in these chambers until their modern discovery and subsequent cleansing.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Hybrids - genetically engineered?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

the knights left their mark but, I read somewhere that remains have been found over the years and stored in various palces then the places burn down or the remains vanish

suspicious indeed

Underground Tunnels found in Valletta, Malta

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
If you're wondering what I'm ranting about take a look at HISTORICAL SITES OF MALTA, to see the grand re-opening of the "new" Hal Saflieni Hypogeum of Paola.

That takes the entire magic out of it. They should have built all that beside the structure, not on top of it.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Nice topic Skyfloating. I hapen to live in Malta and have seen this story before though on forums like this and not in the main stream news in Malta. I have asked friends and family here if they have ever heard such stories and so far none have. To us the Hypogeum is just another temple, albeit one of the oldest in history to still be around.
Malta is a highly Catholic place and we all know how the Catholic church is when it comes to letting the people know the truth..So it is no wonder if things have gone missing and details have been "lost"
A family friend just happens to be quite closely associated with the restoration of the Church archives. I think I may just have to drop round for a coffee and a chat..
Will let you know if I can find any stories locally that tie in with this..

CTH

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed. The secrecy behind this discovery raises many questions. I think there's quite a bit of our past that is misconstrued or just hidden from the general public in order to keep culture and society running as it has for the last 2000 and some odd years. The Councils of Hippo and Carthage set us upon a path around 400 AD that we've rarely diverted from since.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1d1e6d3ba5d.jpg[/atsimg]

Animal/human hybrids are called therianthropes and are found in images throughout the prehistoric world and even are in use today if you consider vampires and wolfmen.

The depiction above has an insect head, a cloven hoof and 6 digits on one hand and is entirely my own conception of the genre. It is shown climbing up into the Underworld and represents a shaman travelling into the vortex of deep trance.

Representations of such psychic voyages may be found in places as diverse as South Africa, Egypt, Greece and Crete, so I'm not surprised to hear of it found at Malta. Perhaps the Malta temples were then what the Vatican is to us today in the 21st century... the culmination of a proto-religion in one specific region where people would travel to from far distances much the same way pilgrimages happen now.

From your link: www.philipcoppens.com...

Marija Gimbutas commented (regarding the Sleeping Lady*): “Why is she sleeping in the tomb? One explanation is that this represents a rite of initiation or incubation. To sleep within the Goddess’ womb was to die and to come to life anew.”

-snip-

and Zammit proposed that the type of initiation that was practiced here, was the so-called “temple sleep”: where the initiate is asked to spend the night in a temple; if he or she is able to fall asleep, the dreams were thought to be influenced by the deities, and might provide insight about the past, the present, or the future.

-snip-

nterestingly, some figurines have human heads, supported on triangular bodies, but one is attached to a two-limbed animal body, while another has a pig’s head. Do these suggest certain shamanic practices – temple sleep obviously being a divinatory method too?

-snip-

Musicians have stated that the temple has perfect acoustics

-snip-

Spirals are often associated with the visions experienced during hallucinations, and the walls of caves are seen, since at least 20,000 years ago in France, as doorways into other dimensions, out of which the deities – the ancestors – were said to come into this realm.

*italics mine

Originally posted by Skyfloating:

* What is the exact nature of the elongated skulls found there? And why do only six of the originally eleven remain in the museum? What happened to the others?

A personal speculation is that a possible reason for the practice of 'binding the skull' may have its roots in combining the left and right hemispheres of the brain into one completely interconnected. Perhaps such configuration eased the transition to enhanced ability for contacting the spirit world.

On the multiple conspiracies associated with such 'temples' (which is what I believe them to be), I can only assume suppression by a religion which denied direct human connection to the spiritual realm and actively worked to erase all evidences to the contrary. That religion became a source of wealth and a means to control the populations.

Yet, it lives still today, in the ritual practices of those considered 'uncivilized' and 'backwards'. A singularly wonderful source for insight on detailed ritual practices is Frank Waters 'Book of the Hopi'.

Another great source is the work of Professor Emeritus [Senior Mentor in the Rock Art Research Institute, University of Witwaterstrand, Johannesburg] David Lewis-Williams, in his book 'The Mind in the Cave - Consciousness and the Origins of Art'.

Further (and more contemporary) reading of Lewis-Williams efforts would be 'San Spirituality'. However, the textbook is terribly difficult to obtain. I've tried for two years now and have had no luck whatsoever even though I've gone through multiple suppliers.

Another conspiracy to silence a researcher? Personally, I'm of the opinion that this is so. We are not allowed to consider our own capabilities in contact with the divine and must leave such communications to those who would benefit most for obvious and aforementioned reasons.

Lines Written a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey

by William Wordsworth
(1770-1850)

—that serene and blessed mood,
In which the affections gently lead us on,
Until, the breath of this corporeal frame,
And even the motion of our human blood
Almost suspended, we are laid asleep
In body, and become a living soul:
While with an eye made quiet by the power
Of harmony, and the deep power of joy,
We see into the life of things.

classiclit.about.com...

grammar edit

[edit on 30/6/09 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Some speculate about an ancient subterranean tunnel system spanning from Italy through Malta and on to Libya. I could not find anything on this except that it is common knowledge that there are ancient tunnels in the Sahara Desert of Libya and that there are ancient tunnels in Malta (people having used them to hide in world war 2), and there are ancient tunnels in Sicily and Italy.

This was an interesting find, but I could not find anything on it in English. From the little bit I do understand it speculates about advanced technology being used in ancient tunnels somewhere in Italy.

Italy: Ipogea

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I live in Malta, and I have never heard anyone discuss anything about such mysteries.

Malta is only 400,000 people and words and rumors get around very fast believe me.. so it seems very strange that I never heard or read about the topic in this thread.

What I know is that archeologists discovered that the people who built the prehistoric temples believed that what happens over the earth must happen below, hence the hypogeum of hal saflieni should reflect the temples above it like a mirror if u know what i mean.

Maltese archeologists in fact believe that for every temple there is an opposing temple built below earth, and they are making pressure to highlight this issue so the government will not built above such treasures, as there are many temples in Malta.

Malta is a very special island... the treasures and history it has for such a small island are simply amazing. I am proud to be Maltese.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the vivid read. The longer I look into this stuff the more inclined I am to consider this alternative possibility: Of our true spiritual potential and shamanism being suppressed by religion on the one side and mechanistic scientism on the other side.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Question to those living in Malta:

Can any of you provide some information on the origins of the language? Ive visited there 3 times, and I found it odd that it looked neither related to Latin nor Arabic...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Great thread, as usual

I was able to come up with this evolution of the Maltese language.

I'll be interested to see what our Maltese members have to say about it. A fascinating area of the world. I hope to visit it some day.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
When I visited Malta in 1997, the Hypogeum was closed to visitors due to a sewage leak and fears over too many people visiting it, much like the painted caves in France. Plans for its conservation were in place and about to begin. I'm glad that the site has been so well conserved and that future generations will be able to visit it. The temples on Malta are amazing. I hope to get back one day and to finally see the Hypogeum. At least you can still visit the real thing and not a replica like they have had to do in France at Lescaux.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join