It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Sounds like the Star-Gate deal...

Let's face it there could be wormholes out there but man didn't create them - at least not yet.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Very interesting story. And then having people connect the dots with how even simple things like this temple (not to disparage how amazing it is) conflict with the official story we are told about our history is why I read this site. Something just doesn't add up...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Hi, very fascinating.

Why do you identify it as the only

known prehistoric subterranean temple in the world.
?

Is that because of the "subterranean" aspect?

The architecture seems to be of a high quality. This part always amazes me. For such supposed primitive beings our ancestors sure knew how to design, create and build amazing structures, that last thousands of years.

The average person today couldnt build a dog house.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The Oracle Room The Oracle Room is roughly rectangular and one of the smallest side chambers has the peculiarity of producing a powerful echo. A human voice echoes. This room has an elaborately painted ceiling, consisting of spirals in red ochre with circular blobs.

I find this interesting.

I was just reading this morning about Odin's Runes. The connection to this I made was about how the Runes were whispered without vibrating the vocal cords and was the only way to gain knowledge from the runes by whispering them.

An oracle room that produces powerful echos would be perfect for this. I am not saying it was for the runes in particular but maybe those that built it used there own way of communing with the othreside and it also involves whispering without vibrating the vocal cords.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
open_eyeballs: Yes, because of the subterranean aspect

yeahright: thanks for the language-link.

Maltese is a Semitic language descended from Siculo-Arabic,[11] that in the course of its history has been influenced by Sicilian and Standard Italian, to a lesser extent French, and more recently from English. Today, the core vocabulary (including both the most commonly used vocabulary and function words) is Semitic, with large numbers of loan words.[12] Due to the Sicilian influence on Siculo-Arabic Maltese has many language contact features and is most commonly described as a language with a large number of loanwords.[13] The Maltese language has historically been classified in various ways, contradictory to the views of linguists today. Some claimed that the ancient Punic language was the base of the language, instead of Siculo-Arabic,[14][15][16][17] while others believed the language to be Berber,[17] and under Fascist Italy, it was considered a dialect of Italian.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think though that the culture and language have been bastardized over the millennial by waves of migration, invaders and discoverers etc as we can see in many cultures around the world. Take the conversion of native populations by the various world churches, they slowly loose their heritage as each succeeding generation adopts the current beliefs.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

—that serene and blessed mood,
In which the affections gently lead us on,
Until, the breath of this corporeal frame,
And even the motion of our human blood
Almost suspended, we are laid asleep
In body, and become a living soul:
While with an eye made quiet by the power
Of harmony, and the deep power of joy,
We see into the life of things.

man, that was cool.

this paragraph here just outlines the ignorance of so many people (like myself) who live the modern life, and dont delve into the deeper sprituality that seemingly resides in us all....

thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Some speculate about an ancient subterranean tunnel system spanning from Italy through Malta and on to Libya. I could not find anything on this except that it is common knowledge that there are ancient tunnels in the Sahara Desert of Libya and that there are ancient tunnels in Malta (people having used them to hide in world war 2), and there are ancient tunnels in Sicily and Italy.

This was an interesting find, but I could not find anything on it in English. From the little bit I do understand it speculates about advanced technology being used in ancient tunnels somewhere in Italy.

Italy: Ipogea

There is further speculation that this underground tunnel system extends through the entire world, some places extending miles in depth that open up into very large underground cities that dwarf our own greatest cities. The famed city of Telos reportedly in Mt. Shasta, in California is just one example. Supposedly there are many creatures that live there, with the majority being alien. There are reports of blue skinned, grey-like beings, Sasquatch-type beings, and reptilians. Also there is supposedly a very tall pale skinned race with white hair that live in this underground 'empire'. It is further rumored that modern man has built additions to these tunnels, especially in the American Southwest in areas like Dulce, New Mexico, Los Alamos, Groom Lake, California, Mexico, Alaska, and many more, including possibly sub-oceanic bases that are connected to tunnels potentially as deep as the Marina Trench, the deepest known spot on Earth that plunges over 7 miles deep off the coast of the Marina Islands in the Pacific.

With all these stories and reports of "strange beings being seen coming from caverns and underground tunnels" one must really start to postulate that there indeed could be a totally unseen and alien world beneath our very feet that is as advanced or much,much more than we are on the surface. I mean this would explain USOs and the multitudes of UFO sightings by mountains and volcanoes. Let us not forget the Admiral Byrd story with Operation Highjump. Also to bring up another thread of yours Skyfloating, the Untersburg mountain mystery, which is VERY odd indeed, and has some very good evidence to back it up IMO. The underground enigma has always both intrigued me and scared me a little bit, knowing that something like that could be going on inside our very planet, potentially beneath our very feet at this very moment! Anyways, great thread Sky.

Good reading....www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/30/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.dailymalta.com...

bio on the people
www.dailymalta.com...

www.jimdiamondmd.com...
Hypogeum entrance for 90 yrs.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's pretty odd when you consider all the similarities of the ancient monuments we have been told of. Why is it we have so many amazingly advanced structures all across the world? And the mythologies have so many common threads. Floods, hybrids, gods from the stars, and powerful "acts" of god[s]! I would give my anything to see what the Vatican library has in its collections. I bet quite a few missing pieces from history are locked away due to the truths they would reveal. How many amazing discoveries are kept silent because of what they mean to current belief.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
With regards to the Gozo Temple, quote: In the Maltese language, Ggantija means "belonging to the giants".

Stop opening these cans of beans

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenflt
With regards to the Gozo Temple, quote: In the Maltese language, Ggantija means "belonging to the giants".

Stop opening these cans of beans

Oh, so the legendary giants reappear in this context again? Thats amazing. You find them everywhere you dig just a bit below the surface-layer of information...worldwide.

Thanks for that bit of info

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

ALOHA

was thinking about malta yesterday....about a post made by hidden_hand, titled window of opportunity.... www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=Hidden_Hand
he proclaimed himself as a priest of a high ruling family, at the end of the thread stating that the would be travelling to malta for a gathering.
indeed such sites are concealed from us in many levels, and in all probablility, still active...

LOVE

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
One of the "mysterious accounts", quoted from Wikipedia. As far as I know, this first appeared 1940 in the National Geographic.

There is an account that in the 1940s a British embassy worker, Miss Lois Jessup, went on a tour of the Hypogeum and convinced a guide to let her explore a 3ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level. She claims that after squeezing through this chamber she came into a large room; where she was standing there was a large cliff with a steep drop and the floor of the cavern could not be seen. Across the cavern there was a small ledge with an opening in the wall. According the Ms. Jessup, a number of 'humanoid beings' that were covered in white hair and hunched over came out of this opening. They raised their palms in her direction and a large gust of wind filled the cavern, extinguishing the light of her candle. She then claimed that she felt something brush past her. When she went back to the Hypogeum on another occasion, she was told no such tour guide had ever worked on the site. Sometime after Miss Jessup's first visit, a group of school children and their teacher visited the Hypogeum on an outing and entered the same burial chamber, which then collapsed while they were inside. Search parties could not conduct a thorough search for the children or their teacher due to the cave-in. The parents of the children claimed that, for weeks, they could hear the voices of their children coming from under the ground in several parts of the island.[1][2]

This incident in the Hypogeum, really had me hooked.

Unfortunately, after chasing down the various web versions - including, Wiki, Phillip Coppens, and then getting my hands on a copy of the main source: "Enigma Fantastique" By W. Gordon Allen, the story seems more dubious with each minute.
For example: the lady in question - Miss Lois Jessup - is not named in Allen's book, nor is she described as being Brisitsh Consulate staff. Indeed, she is described as being a New Yorker, working in Education.

No mention about her involvement in the New York Saucer Information Bureau - a bureau that by the way only apparently existed between 1962 and 1965 - some twenty plus years after Miss Lois Jessup was in Malta!

Coppens account of what happened at times also conflicts with the alleged "original" document cited by Allen in Enigma Fantastique.

So in summary, it seems we have:

* a woman who was either British, or American
* either was in Malta, or was apparently never there
* either worked for the British Embassy in Malta, or never did
* Was told about the missing school children a few days after her incident, by a friend who "called her" (strange that Malta had telephones in 1940) after reading it in the news - or it never was in the news as stated by the "New Yorker" woman in her written account.
* a story that was either published by National Geographic in 1940, or was
published by an obscure publication at a possible much later date!

There were a lot more discrepancies. I won't detail them here. Suffice to say, my heart sank after initially having my curiosity piqued by that part of your post.

No reflection on you Skyfloating
I loved the post regardless.
Just disappointing that that particular incident seems dubious at best.

Thanks again,

Matt

[edit on 1-7-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuRising

CthulhuRising and scarface1111
Hi guys.

If either of you happen to be near the Ta'Xbiex Seafront, would you mind asking the British Consulate if they have staff register archives going back to the late 1930's and early 1940's.

I'd love to know if they have any record of Miss Lois Jessup having worked there in or around 1939/1940.

I doubt they will, but thank you for any help.

P.S I hope to visit your amazing part of the Mediterranean soon.

Cheers,

Matt

[edit on 1-7-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

There is a hole in the wall of a resonant chamber which allows a voice to resonate throughout; the "voice of god." The fertility statue that I saw was dated as having been made in 2500 BC. The inhabitants were short in stature; I believe that they were supposed to be under 5 feet tall.
The upper chamber had places for food offerings to the gods but the monks had to eat also. A spiral staircase went to the lower chamber but the steps were unevenly spaced of varying heights. It was explained that if you were not a monk, you would not know how to safely descend and would fall into a pit containing hungry wild dogs.
It was also explained that the earth was soft clay when dug out but that it would harden after a time of being exposed to air, a sort of natural concrete. I don't know if this is true, but given the structure of the hypogeum it looked like it would have had to have been made that way.
Malta is one of the most fascinating places on earth. In addition to the hypogeum, they have the many treasures of the Knights Templar that they managed to hide from the French army. If you think the stone walls in New England are quaint, wait until you see what the Maltese farmers deal with.
As I remember, they also speak English and Italiano which made my life easier. While the above posters say differently, I was told that Maltese is the only remaining link to ancient Phoenician and the only language to have words with a double X which is why when Esso became Exxon, they carefully studied the Maltese dictionary.
I do plan to return and see again the church of St. John and, of course, the Seabed club if it is still there. I'm probably too old to visit the King's Way establishments.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What a fantastic read. This is the kind of story that starts my imagination running (and keeps me coming back to ATS). Just the fact that they had the bison bull picture removed is enough to make you wonder about what we are told by officials. One thing I've noticed about any type of suspicious cover-up type of activity: there will always be resistance to exploration, research, questioning, or otherwise discovering the truth... that is until the evidence is destroyed.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

Yeah...the Jessup story did not have the right "feel" for me either. Thats why I did not emphasize it too much.

Thanks for taking the time to look into that particular aspect.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Does anyone know if connections to the Minoans have been made?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Skyfloating...I have been wating for this thread! I've been researching caves since being turned on to them in the Untersberg - The Mystery Mountain Thread and was amazed this discovery in Malta.

I'm even more amazed that there are a couple of Malta ATS members that live there and are unaware of this story?!

I started a paper on mysterious caves like these around the world, but unfortunately don't have the time necessary to give it proper research.

Have you thought of starting a cave thread?

S & F !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join