It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your definition of God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
hhhmmm, for all I've seen and learned, ... I can only sum this up in two words " god is " ......... yeah, I think that will do it.

wheeew, thats a wrap, ..... lets slide it under the tree and put out some milk and cookies !!! yeah !

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

We seem to agree alot. I am sorry for misunderstanding your point about becoming Godhead. I thought that was analogous to becoming God but apparently not.

I can't say that I truly understand you. The whole concept is a little heady. We are all part of the all but we move toward perfection and integration and become. . . What?

If I dance around my own thoughts poking holes I still come up with questions like these.

We work on perfection as parts of the all, so does that mean that the all is imperfect?

Maybe these are the wrong choice of words, maybe incomplete is better than imperfect?

If incomplete works better, than what is the nature of completion?

God is the all, so God is imperfect, incomplete?

Maybe we don't have words or analogys for the transition and so any description is horribly flawed, just like our inability to clearly define God, like an ant trying to perfect or complete the factory it happens to be living in.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
My definition of God?

An imaginary energy that is attributed the positives and negatives of our galaxy because we do not know the real answer to why it happened - even though it is hidden somewhere.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
My definition of God?

An imaginary energy that is attributed the positives and negatives of our galaxy because we do not know the real answer to why it happened - even though it is hidden somewhere.

You deny the existence of a God, yet you allude to:

Positive and negative energys, A dialectic like creation and destruction, good and evil.

There being a hidden cause to the existence of the universe. A creative force.

That sounds like a search for a definition of God the creator to me!

You seem conflicted.

If science ever defines with perfect precision a set of physical forces with which the universe was set in motion, all matter and energy came to existence within a void, how the void came into existence.
Would that meticulous understanding be anything less than a description of creative force of the universe, and therefore a protrait of God's (metaphorical) hand in action. Perhaps it would be a description of God(metaphorical again) herself.

At least in the terms which so far the contributors to this thread seem to be in fairly strong agreement.

What precisely are you afraid exists that you feel compelled to wish it out of existence?

Do you fear God the old man tinker sitting on his throne in judgement of you?

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Nope.

He forgives everyone anyways that wants to be - so whats it matter?

Just like I said. God is there for something we can not yet explain.

Also, if there is a "god"...it is not of ANY religion, and it is not some being, it is just an energy in itself that created the universe.

The only religious people I can respect are those who do not participate in the masses. Church, etc, OR dedicate any of their life to it - yet believe it in the back of their head.

It seems those who do believe in God are just afraid of the unknown. How about opening your eyes, and realizing there have been many "set in stone" subjects for thousands of years that are continually being disproved.

First gods controlled the weather.
The earth was flat.
Holy wars.
The church and the whole child molestation problem.
Evolution.

I could keep going.

Oh yeah, the divine monarchs.

My point? Religion is just a tool in society.

If there IS a god, it is not by a single religion, and it is ONLY our "creator".

But if we are going to play illogical games - this is my belief.

That time is just an illusion and everything in our universe is in a cycle. No start, no end.

Just as logical as your god.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My definition of God is Life.

Does God Exist? Well, do you?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I believe that God is love, and the absolute objective awareness, from every point of view, which is infinite, that "He" is self aware and embued with infinite intelligence, and a perfect will, and while all powerful and almighty, is also infinity virtuous, where virtue may be defined as power restrained. I think God is the creator, the Alpha and Omega of existence, and the spirit of the universe, and that man has a special place in His creation by intelligent design, to become one with God and to contain God, as the temple or embodiment of the living God, and I think this phenomenon occured or was fully actualized in the person of Jesus Christ, as the first born among many. Loving neighbor as self is just as important as loving God above all, because in truth me and my neighbor are one in God and share the same ground of being, which is God.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

He is infinite?
why the male sexual preference on the divine. How about she is infinite? Wht about that?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

It's just proof of the patriarchal dominance of society and religion. If you check my OP, I use the pronoun it, as I believe the Divine is equally male and female. It is neither and both at the same time, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think there is a personhood of God, which would obviously embrace and transcend the duality of male-female, but I can't bring myself to refer to God as an "it", but to each his own.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

This is one of the reasons that I prefer a triune or trinity of the creator concept. Mother, Father, child or product. The creation being nearly infinite I think all advanced life forms are sexually procreated and thus their highest expression would be a sexual union of male, female, and progeny. I am sure the gays do not like this equation but I think it is the most natural conclusion given the reality of life in nature on this planet at least.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

autowrench: Well, what do you know? Your story is like a mirror reflection of my own search for a religion that fit me. I too studied all of them, and I do mean all, and some parts of every one I liked. Some parts I didn't like. Raised a Christian, I knew that one wasn't on the short list.
Wicca fits me the best too, no organization, no church with those droll hymns, no leaders on TV telling me everything fun is a sin, and no cult like Christians and Muslims, where all think, worship, dress, and act alike...

My definition of that which is called "GOD," is as follows. It is me, and it is you. The Divine is in all of us, that is actually what we call the "soul," as was recently asked in a post here. The Divine is everything, good and bad, male and female, negative and positive, killer and healer, all things. We of the human race, I think, are being trained to be Gods and Goddesses ourselves, to go out and create our own little universes, but that is just my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well, in all honesty I do not truly have an answer to your question. Why? I am only human, and I do not know. No one can, no matter how much they say they do, they really don't, all they have is a belief, and belief is not truth. So understand the following is just my belief, and therefore is not "truth" but only just my thinking, my beliefs, my organic brains way of trying to understand what is "consciousness" and being "conscious" we look towards the question of what or who is "God".

I could be wrong
, but I believe that only "conscious" beings, think about "what/who is God". I don't believe that dogs, cats, horses, fish, mosquitoes, moose etc sit around discussing who/what God is. Perhaps, they are the truly intelligent, and already know and understand the idea of God. So have no "need" to question, and need only just "be".

I can look into my heart, and know that "harm none" is a perfect statement to how I feel about all life everywhere, be it plant, animal, energy or some other form that I in my humanity cannot even comprehend to ask about, and so I follow the path that is most like my heart, my emotions, my beliefs. Wicca suits me best, and I consider myself a solitary Wiccan, and believe in "Harm None".

Having been raised Christian, I find the idea that if you do not believe in a male personality that you will go to hell, to be incomprehensibly ?childish. No, childish is not the correct term, ego based? An "I" idea? Immature? Forgive me, I am not sure how to explain my thoughts here.

I don't believe that "God" is male or female, I am not even sure I believe "God" to be a combination of the human idea of female or male, but a combination of "everything". God is .......everything..... not male, not female, not it, not neuter, but God is all of the above and more.

I don't even know if I believe that "God" cares about us one way or another, or if "God" feels such a separateness with us to even think about us in such a manner. As if God is everything, why would God look at us as being separate and so listen to our prayers? Our prayers would be Gods prayers, everything everywhere IS God. So every thought we have, every emotion we have, every movement we make, is already known by God, as it IS God. We are a piece of God, everything everywhere is a part of God, which in the end, makes up the whole.

I guess, think of yourself thinking, questioning, living, loving, being, and then you just might, have a little more understanding of the workings of "god". When you think, do you then say "I must answer that persons prayers"? No, it is just YOU being YOU moving through what we think of as life. Though remember, this is just my thoughts on this subject, with an admittance that I could be wrong as I don't know.

, now I am getting a headache, is my brain on overload? Or growing? Or just a headache?
Most likely, just a headache, and I in my ego, wanting to put a meaning behind it.

We as humans are trying to comprehend, label and box up, something that I believe is not possible for us to do. Though perhaps if we ever evolve to use the full capacity of our brains, perhaps we can move a few steps closer to that comprehension. Though perhaps if we ever do reach the point that we are using our full capacity, then we have moved into the realm of no longer feeling that separateness we now feel with God and with each other. Meaning we would no longer have a need to add a label to what/who God is.

I don't know that I believe in an "afterlife" so to speak, I do not know that I don't believe it either, as if my thinking is correct, "afterlife" is a return to being God. Not being separate from everything, but a return to everything, whatever "everything" in the end means.

I guess I don't believe that we can box up, label and put "god" into a box that says this is what god is. Because, god is everything, and how do you put everything into a simple box with a simple label?

Anyway, this is what I think today about all this,
ask me tomorrow, and I might think differently. I am "just" human after all.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My God is ALL, the all encompassing light that everything is a refraction of, an expression of this endless energy, a glimpse of the divine.

God is ALL, I am all, by this logic, God is nothing, I am nothing.

Good question by the way, everyone, no matter how similar thet're faiths maybe (even if it is the same faith) has a different perspective on what this world is and why where here.

This only reaffirms for me that our goal is experiece and to learn and understand from these experiences.

Thank you for this question.

EMM

[edit on 1-7-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The mathematical nature of God has now been discovered. If some of you would like to examine the divine mathematical paradigm, explore how it determines the very nature of space-time and matter, your micro-biological make-up and your physical body, study the 50 research articles (downloadable PDFs) at:
smphillips.8m.com...
Spend the necessary time to master this research and you will discover the sublime, mathematical nature of God for the first time. What you will find there will change you forever.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

I'll get right on that..!

Took a look, the guy's probably a genious and sadly I don't understand it and lack the wherewithall to do so, which is humbling and ego deflating, and for that I am grateful. But I'm not about to pretend that I can understand it.

But I'll bet at the very end, it all returns to the number 1.. the undifferentiated whole.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

The number that I find is the most common in alot of world religions is the number three, although one is also a very important divine number as well!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I can see how three represents harmony, and integration, or a continual process of differentation, via 2 or duality, from 1, unity, to re-integration in trinity, forming an arrow of physical progress and continuity, as in an eternal recurrence of some kind, based on what is eternal (the framework).

At one point, and I'm not sure now why or how, but I felt that this represents (continual process of differentiation and reintegration), in many ways, the story of the ancient Jewish people themselves, as the Isrealites of The Exodus, and that story, as a foreshadowing of the coming of Jesus Christ, who embodies the same principal, now in death and resurrection - but that's just one interpretation, so don't go getting your nickers in a knot those who find any reference to anything "Biblical" somehow abhorrant to your rational and philosophical sensibilities!

From this perspective, what we see is one "God" replacing another, relative to the ancient Egyptian secrets, from whom Pathagoras was educated and initiated, and so that whole tree of life, sacred geometry frame of reference, appears to have served, in ancient history, as a framework, which gave rise to, a sudden illuminating recognition of, a God principal, based on math and geometry, which is so fundamental that it is fundamental even to nature and existence itself, a "sacred geometry", as given in those papers...? maybe? I suspect it is there..

Nice to see a genious like that math wiz who wrote these 50 papers, come along and solve it, or draw the correlate to modern physics. That's amazing.

They are a beautiful set of papers - I'll look at them some more, it looks like it would be well worth the effort to try to understand it somehow..

smphillips.8m.com...

Cheers to micpsi, for posting it!

[edit on 2-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
God is something which when you want to define will be gone.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
All Is All.
Us, Our God, Our Eternity.

Yes, he let me proud of what I am.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by AKNOWLEGE_ME]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join