It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your definition of God?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The definition of the Divine is as individual as snowflakes, even among those of the same belief. I would like to provide a place for all to come and give their view on what the Divine is to them. I would like this to be done 'Dave Rabbit' style, for those who remember those thought provoking threads (why don't you do this anymore, Dave?). In other words, NO FLAMING! Respect the views of others and don't preach. Just an exchange of ideas. Questions of other posters are welcome, but none of the usual "You're wrong!" responses to other posts. I would ask that the Mods assigned to this thread help in this matter, and thank them in advance for doing so.

I will start with mine. A little background into how I came to my current belief. I was raised Roman Catholic, and attended nine years of Catholic School. In the seventh grade, our religion class focused on World Religions with Sister Susan. It was in this class that my journey really began, as I was exposed to many new thoughts and ideas.

At the end of the next school year, my Mother passed away, and I experienced a 'crisis of faith'. As soon as I graduated from high school, I stopped attending church, and considered myself to be agnostic.

A few years later I was taught transcendental meditation, and it changed my life. In addition to astral projection, I learned that I was able to speak to 'souls' on the other side. It is a limited ability, as I can only communicate with those who are close to completing their journey, Old Souls. (Yes, I can see you rolling your eyes and quietly saying "Yeah, right!") What I have found is that everytime one question gets answered, ten more take it's place.

I began to read everything I could get my hands on concerning spirituality. I now have two bookshelves filled with books on every religion you can think of. Eventually, I read a book on Wicca, and found that it very closely matched the beliefs I already held, and as it is a 'Non-organized' religion, it left plenty of room for individual belief and growth. I now consider myself to be a Wiccan and am a solitary practitioner (for those familiar with this faith). I am a firm believer in "and it harm none, do what ye will".

So my definition of the Divine comes from both contact from the other side and what truth I have found in my studies of faiths from around the world.

I believe that the Divine (I refrain from using the word 'God' due to the preconcieved ideas that come with the term) is the universe(s) itself (themselves). I have added the terms in parentheses due to the multiverse theory in physics. Science has recently discovered that the entire universe is comprised of energy, and that it's all connected. Matter is the lowest vibration of energy, and as we begin to vibrate at higher vibrations, we get closer to returning to the Divine Source. I believe that we are all parts of the Divine, and were sent to the lower vibrations so that It could experience existence. To give an example of what I mean by this, you can watch someone skydive, you can learn everything it takes to skydive, but until you skydive, you really don't understand skydiving. In much the same way, the Divine had the knowledge of existence, but lacked the experience of existence.

I believe that we return to this plane of existence over and over again until we once again vibrate at the Divine level, and then return this experience to the Divine. This has been confirmed for me by the 'Old Souls' I have refered to above.

I now turn this thread over to you, my fellow ATS members (and Mods, as I would love to hear your views as well). It will make a great reference tool when engaged in spiritual debate on other threads as you will be able to come here and see what beliefs your debate opponent holds, thus giving you better insight into their beliefs.

Again, NO FLAMING PLEASE!! I won't end this with the usual 'Dave Rabbit' ending (i.e. Star and Flag this Mutha!) but it would be nice for this thread to get the attention I feel it deserves, considering how much spiritual debate goes on here on ATS. I look forward to your replies!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Sorry about your mother, i lost my father 9 years ago, I still dream very livelike dreams being around him, kinda cool in away ..

But, my view on God is in multiple levels.
The God most people think of is what I think of as the one/ones/force that are out side this universe looking in, I dont want to go further into that.

But the God when it comes to humans and our Creation, Im pretty convinsed is the Anunnaki theory, The lab.rat story..
I prety sure they they made Eve first and saw she was what they were looking for, and then inplanted an egg to be Adam...

That is the fast version of my thoughts on things...

Hope that Please No Flame rule still applies !!!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My definition would be something like "everything and its awareness," or maybe just "everything."

The pursuit of knowing and experiencing everything is the pursuit of knowing God.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I look at creation and I realised I did not make the Plants and animals or air or sunlight. I am just an observer on this Vapor of life till I am absorbed some way by the Creator.Oboy the Creater made everything and has everything and then I get to play with it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The way I view God or the Creator is that everything that is, is in fact God. It is like the whale we live inside of. So in my understanding the creator is

"The Isness"

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Now you have opened a door with the simple statement God, the creator.

That is the Escaton.

There is also God the Savior, the Emanuel.

And God the almighty. Sometimes benevolent, sometimes the bastard, sometimes both, depending on your belief system.

It is important to be clear which God you are referring to, not meaning to suggest multiple Gods, meaning to indicate multiple ways of defining "God" as the essential requirement for being considered the one or one of the many.

If the divine is as snowflakes, then are you bringing back the pantheon?

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That which we call God can best be described as that ineffable ground of being out of which all things rise... that supports them during their period of manifestation and back into which they must ultimately dissolve.

The Hindu's say that there are three syllables in the word OM... the O... the M and the silence surrounding them or put in more scientific terms the atoms... the particles that compose them and the space between them.

I tend to think that the active principle of creation is consciousness but beyond that words fail and science has nothing to say.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian

What I stated was that:

The definition of the Divine is as individual as snowflakes...

If you believe in a pantheon, then that would be your definition of the Divine. Do not let the word 'God' limit your response. Be it a trinity, a pantheon or one single entity.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well Mr. Roberts, since we are newly acquainted friends, I thought it would be nice of me to reply to this thread I was avoiding lol.

I am a very spiritual person. I meditate several times a day, in multiple locations, sometimes with multiple people. I have to see that the idea of a monotheistic, single entity God eludes me. I cannot for a minute believe in such a thing.

Now, that's because of my many OOBE's among other experiences I have had, that have shown me, or made me believe in what I do. For a long time I was caught between these views and the ones of my Catholic upbringing, and I came to a simple conclusion.

I don't know.

Nobody knows.

Anybody who tries to tell you they know, is delusional on some level.

Now belief is one thing, you can believe in something all you want, but truth is something entirely different. I don't think were here to find out the truth, otherwise, what would the point of the journey be?

We aren't equipped to process or understand such an idea. Can you really imagine, what kind of mind blowing, reality changing situation that would create if we were to know the truth?

Now, that being said, I have my educated opinions. I think that we live in a Universe filled with energy. Forces that we cannot see, and beings that exist at higher wave lenghts and dimensions that somewhat effect the way we see things.

Now are they what created us? Perhaps, but I think they are the product of a happy and whole existance in this plane, in order to move up to a higher level, or "ascend" as I would like to put it.

I think that all material life is subject to the theory of evolution, but the initial spark of life, that created our Galaxy, must've come from somewhere, and I think that would the collective thoughts, wants and needs of those higher beings.

That's my take on it, mind you again I don't know, I can simply guess and hope I am right, but anybody could be.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I don't think it is possible with our primitive minds, our inadequate language, and our silly cosmological constructs, to even come close to defining God.

So I don't try.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The consciousness that has manifested at the most complex level of electromagnetic energy (the force that encompasses the entire universe and also composes it IMHUT*). It is interconnected with every other bit of em so it is aware of all things at all times. It is part of the electricity used by every lifeform to interpret its surroundings and make decisions. Every thought that a lifeform makes is then noted and added to its collective. If enough thoughts of similar subject matter and tone enter at once, it will respond by adding an "influence" to certain system already in motion. This is your prayers being answered seemingly via miracle and mass emotion changing the atmosphere of certain events.

That is of course "god" as the creator having a hand in everything, and more or less, being everything at the same time. I'm skeptical of anything being between this level and the grunt level of consciousness which is that which is isolated into a single being (a lifeform). Though an "afterlife" level that doesn't necessarily think but rather accomodate the various smaller manifestations of consciousness into one level of unity separate yet compatible with the main "creator" level would serve a purpose and thus, I wouldn't rule that out.

*In My Humble Unproven Theory

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I do believe in some type of god, in the sense of a being or something that created all that exists now. Nothing can come from nothing, in the overall scheme of things. Now that does not mean I believe god is watching over us in the clouds or that when we die he judges us and sends us to heaven or hell, etc... its just the beliefe that there is something that created all that we know of now. People assume that if I believe in reencarnation for example, I have to be a religious person.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
God for me is a singular diety, a vast creator of all things known and unknown.

I am continually humbled by just how incredible, and complex, the universe we live in truly is. It is a mindblower to think that inside our own Milky Way Galaxy there are between 200 to 400 billion star systems, some similar, some very different, from our own.

I wouldn´t think it being beyond the pale to predict that this Galaxy probably has at least a couple of trillion planets within all of these solar systems as well. Consider the complexity of our own Earth, from it´s physical structure and systems, to the wonders and secrets of it´s biology. Imagine all the variations of our own earthly processes which could very well be happening on the billions of planets located within the habital zones of their host stars in our Galaxy.

Now multiply what goes on in this galaxy by a hundred billion, which is about the current known estimate of the amount of other galaxies sharing the Universe with us.

For all we know, we could be in one universe among a hundred billion other ones.

And this is only at the material level. Who knows how many other forms of existances are out there, being spiritual or multi-dimensional.

This all couldn´t have started just out of nothingness. God is at the controls.

One way or another, we will all find out the ultimate secret.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

What I stated was that:

The definition of the Divine is as individual as snowflakes...

If you believe in a pantheon, then that would be your definition of the Divine. Do not let the word 'God' limit your response. Be it a trinity, a pantheon or one single entity.

Sorry I misunderstood your intent, the "definitions" are numerous, yes indeed. I actually reread what you said several time and still misconscrewed it.

I actually go with the universe both as the creator and creation as being my personal definition. The all, and the underlying pervasive driver of the all, and so we are aspects of the divine. But then so is everything else! So don't go getting a big head about your own divinity!

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

So don't go getting a big head about your own divinity!

I never do, in fact it humbles me to think of it.

I would like to thank those that have posted thus far. I have found it quite enlightning.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I can relate to your catholic upbringing. My mom made me deal to make my confirmation, then I could walk my own path. My parish priest was flabbergasted to find me reading Dante's Inferno my last year. So in my years since I've dabbled in various beliefs. I can't shake the feeling the fictional god of the Conan stories Crom was the perfect example of divinity. He give man life and the will to thrive and all else is up to us. Prayers to Crom will go unanswered because he is indifferent to man. Faith is power but not the type that can be collected and hoarded. Who or what created us does not really matter, the fact that we are here and given all the tools to be a saint or sinner does. If the supreme being or beings wanted us to know what the "truth" was it/they would. It's better to keep us striving to "perfect" ourselves in this world. I kind of hope to learn some answers when I die, so I can find out how close I was to the truth.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

an eternal and infinite field of consciousness with no beginning and no end, that makes up everything that wxists, has existed, and will exist, all at once in complete inerconnection.

when the typical person "prays to god" .. they're directing their thoughts towards the imaginary idea of an external patriarchal personality in control of everything...
most of the time they're praying to hopefully have their wishes granted by this imaginary external patriarchal personality.

if someone believed that a Genie was god, then it would be the same thing as attempting to have your "wishes granted"..

this can be looked at the same way certain people use specific "meditative exercises" to accomplish certain order or direction in their lives..

to alter the course of events in this consciousness field according to your wishes.. or "will"..
by directing those thoughts toward an external patriarchal personality could be in many cases.. effective... if the person truly believes the external patriarchal personality can and will grant him his wishes.

so i'm not knocking that temporary exercise as plausibly effective.,

I do propose that we further research the actuality of this interconnected consciousness field, and find more effective and actuality-based methods for directing our existence towards one more in line with harmony and reason.

I personally hold the understanding that the creative "creator" force in the universe has both male and female aspects.. as that would be more in line with perfection.. and balance.
and that it's personality would be characteristic of the most ideal personality you can possibly percieve.

I also think the idea of intelligence eventually merging with one another is the absolute direction of advancement... and that as this merging occurs.. larger and larger intelligences form. .then they merge with one another etc.. untill everything has become aware.. and merges into one all powerful "godhead".

if this happens.. and everything possible has happened.. and every experience has been experienced... then this "godhead" would be alone... with nothing else to experience..
and in a massive orgasm.. would explode it'self.. into a new big bang.. to have everything repeat again.

however this inevitability could be circumvented.. in order to maintain an eternal non-repeating constant.. by developing a method of transversing multiverses.. those who wish to stay and merge with one another do so.. those who wish to leave to escape that eventual "Diecide" ... move to neighboring multiverses where this process is far from occurring.

it's all that...

OR

just some bearded dude in Earth's clouds hanging out pickin his nose..doing nothing about all the suffering on earth.. you know.. the typical description.

the reality that "we are god" .. "we are nature" is faught on all fronts by the concept that god is separate from us, thus not all powerful.

hey.. you asked.

-

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by Cyberbian

So don't go getting a big head about your own divinity!

I never do, in fact it humbles me to think of it.

I would like to thank those that have posted thus far. I have found it quite enlightning.

I do hope you understand I was being comic, not personal.

I really meant us all!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I like where you are going with this Patriarchial Construct Deity thing.

Now here is a thought to consider in that regard. Since we two are in agreement that we manifest our reality and influence it. All those believing the PCD are in fact creating the PCD, manifesting such a divine energy construct within the universe.

This is not to say that that construct is or was actually the creator, or by any other definition God. But it would as you suggest exert influence and power within the universe in a "god like" manner, and the god which it would be god like to would be the god of the peoples particular belief system. It would be comprised of all the prayer energy of all of it's believers.

From a purely metaphysical perspective such a deity construct might be very useful, and an ancient and no longer called upon construct which was well formed enough to persist might be likened to a long saved potential.
A prayer battery!

However I believe that most of the older gods were rolled into the newer ones, and perhaps an underlying comprehension of this led to their consumption long ago.

I think the current and popular belief system, of a universally pervasive sort of God, would be useless for this PCD concept. The energy would be going out to the all, and generally becoming one with the universe, which is to say homoginized background energy. Only via personification could the PCD be successful. The prayer energy and belief energy needs a collective focal point to accumulate in. To the best of my knowledge there actually is an all and a universe for the energy to go back into so no construct would be possible there, if you catch my drift.

This may actually be an explaination of why religion seems to be falling apart in modern times. Without personification the metaphysical benefits of religion may be going down the drain.

I very much disagree with your assertion that the universe may now be assembling God from our thoughts. This is just delusional from the perspective of any belief system in which there is a God. There either is or is not a God. Any deity after the fact must be considered "God like" but it could never be the creator, never be all powerful, or all knowing, and probably never be the savior, arguably we would have then been our own savior, in a twisted sort of way.

This would make prayer in any religion directly analogous to chanting to a Gohonzon scroll in Lotus Sutra Buddhism. Energy is directed toward the scroll with the intent to contribute the energy collectively.

The difference is that the scroll is actually reprsentative of the founder of that sect, and the energy is probably being directed to that particular sorcerers remaining spirit and empowering it, rather than a PCD.

I ran into vampires in that sect, so I am fairly sure there are religous belief systems in the world using analogs to what we are discussing.
Not everyone who comprehends is wholesome.

I suspect that even the vampires will one day be sadly suprised to discover their master is quite real and the free lunch was never for their consumption!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

reply to post by prevenge

I think the current and popular belief system, of a universally pervasive sort of God, would be useless for this PCD concept. The energy would be going out to the all, and generally becoming one with the universe, which is to say homoginized background energy.

yeah but see...here you're using this terminology "out to the all..
where that denotes some sort of division between the sender of energy and the all.. where according to the exact definition of "the all".. it is literally all... including said "sender" so the energy really isn't going "out" nor "in" it's merely effecting itself in the desired manner... this is the very essence of this concept.

Only via personification could the PCD be successful. The prayer energy and belief energy needs a collective focal point to accumulate in. To the best of my knowledge there actually is an all and a universe for the energy to go back into so no construct would be possible there, if you catch my drift.

yeah you're kind of reiterating the exact point i was making...

Originally posted by prevenge
this can be looked at the same way certain people use specific "meditative exercises" to accomplish certain order or direction in their lives..

meaning.. this external patriarchal personality...or...patriarchal construct diety.."PCD" is used as a "tool" or a "target" to focus collective intent on.
where people are brought up to believe in this construct, and do so.. with unflinching acceptance of their perception of it.. in order to accomplish this exercise more efficienctly... because it requires absolute belief that it exists.. and in doing so.. that imaginary target figure.. (masculine because masculine is representative of power and authority.. thus holding ability to affect change)... that target figure acts as a bottleneck.
but could such a being come into actual reality if enough people believe in it? not so sure that's been scientifically proven.

This may actually be an explaination of why religion seems to be falling apart in modern times. Without personification the metaphysical benefits of religion may be going down the drain.

i don't see religion falling apart right now.. i see it getting stronger.. just look at the growth of the muslim religion. .it's growing immensely.

I very much disagree with your assertion that the universe may now be assembling God from our thoughts. This is just delusional from the perspective of any belief system in which there is a God. There either is or is not a God. Any deity after the fact must be considered "God like" but it could never be the creator, never be all powerful, or all knowing, and probably never be the savior, arguably we would have then been our own savior, in a twisted sort of way.

where did i assert that the universe may now be assembling god from our thoughts?
oh that's right i didn't... yeah..
what i was saying .. and i'll expand on it a bit more here...
was that through evolution of technology and creating more advanced bodies for ourselves to experience existnce through..
then in time.. we get to the point where we can quite literally merge with one another.. creating multifaceted beings of multiple refined perfected personalities... then those beings would go on and merge with one another etc.. eventually becoming these perfected diamond-type beings of perfect crystaline geometrically faceted light.

then all of those merge into one central being.. while maintaining their individual experiences.. they choose to merge in order to create higher identities that hold the absolute in "sharing".. merging...
if this happens in our current perception of "time".. and a central "godhead" is formed... and becomes all knowing and all powerfull BECAUSE it has the memory and knowledge of ALL parts of the universe that has existed and experienced each other fully...because that's what it's made of.. the merging of all existence and that existence's experience...

then that godehead has always been formed..
because if it is at that point in "time" all knowing.. and all powerful.. then that means if it isn't in existence NOW.. simultaneously.. then it is somehow lacking in all-powerfullness.
so it must be existing now as well as when we form it in "time"...

This would make prayer in any religion directly analogous to chanting to a Gohonzon scroll in Lotus Sutra Buddhism. Energy is directed toward the scroll with the intent to contribute the energy collectively.

The difference is that the scroll is actually reprsentative of the founder of that sect, and the energy is probably being directed to that particular sorcerers remaining spirit and empowering it, rather than a PCD.

same thing.. focussing your desires /will / wishes toward an external focal point.

I suspect that even the vampires will one day be sadly suprised to discover their master is quite real and the free lunch was never for their consumption!

well maybe some of them understand the absolute.. what we're discussing here... and they're taking advantage of their parasitic nature to the fullest.. knowing full well that when the others they feed on.. are informed and realize the absolute.. that through common sense.. they'd eradicate the vampires .. in order to form a more comfortable and stress-free environment for spiritual growth/merging....

IMO.. everything "evil" or parasitic is doing so knowing that eventually they'll be caught and stamped out of existence sooner or later.
they're just having their jollies while they can.
pretty pathetic when you think about it.

-

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join