It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zodiac Killer: The Case Reviewed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Awesome, I will look forward to what you can figure out. I may even join in the fun..lol.. I might attempt to solve them, maybe we come up with different things or perhaps the same solution.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You also have to wonder if some of the spelling errors were purposeful or not... I'm not really a puzzle type person, but it seemed there were some spelling mistakes that had to have been made on purpose.

I remember seeing a thread on BTS where someone posted a cipher and it got solved quite quickly and there was some really good thought going into it. I tried starting a thread for this, but my laptop's being annoying and not letting me save the pictures properly - anyone fancy posting a thread with the intent of getting some of the great brains of ATS on this?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Now that you mention that if you need the pictures you can just go here to my profile:

media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=list_photos&album_id=343

But if you make the thread, be sure to link them to this thread so we can have it all organized and what not. Anyway, I will go and try to find some brains that I know to look at them and when you get that thread up let me know!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here is a better look at the Ciphers:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06d35e5854df.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d263b3c6617.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/40baa7781bb2.jpg[/atsimg]

and here are the solved Ciphers:

LINK

LINK

LINK

And this is an unsolved Cipher:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/027b9e6935e2.gif[/atsimg]

For some reason the hwole Cipher did not coem in so here it is in my pictures:

Unsolved Cipher

Any Takers? To re-examine all of them? I think their maybe two ways to solve the puzzles.

[edit on Jun 26th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
well upon working on the unsolved one i can see why it was unsolved. there are several symbols that are new to this cipher as far as i can tell. i guess the translation will have to continue with gaps for now. then we'll have to fill in those gaps.

anyone else think we should contact the people running those zodiac sites to see if they have any insight that may save us time?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Good post, and I like your new "Case Reviewed Tag"! I have been intrigued in this still open case ever since seeing the movie. What a classic serial killer case. Great research as usual my friend!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Does anyone watch The Wire? The true to life cop show that airs on HBO. In Season 5, McNulty (the main character and detective) was upset because the Dept wasn't getting funded properly. So, they created a story about a serial killer going around killing bums. They had actual evidence, pictures, and several good friends that worked for the news paper. After the third victim came through, the papers broke the story, the dept got funded.

I think The Zodiac killer is made up. I think the murders were regular murders. First girl, remember the report said the Killer knew her? Thats why there's a big descrepency. It was probably someone she dated that killed her.

Look at the weapon used. 3 and a half inch blade? That man did not come to murder someone. Look at her wounds. She was struck with rage. THats the only reason he cut her in the chest, this was out of anger. Then it said that he cut her so bad it almost decapitated her, with a pocket knife? This was pure anger, not someone stalkin this girl to randomly murder her. She was probably breakin up with him or cheatin or somethin of that nature and thats why he went nuts.

The police or a group of officers had probably already planned this out. They used this along with a string of others to get what they wanted and at the same time incite fear into the public.

Look at the discrepiences here. They had a field day with this. Remember the 1000's of people turning thereselves in saying they were the Zodiac, lol?

I think Graysmith is part of it. The man that worked at the media. They (cops) had to have an inside man. Graysmith would have been the perfect gatekeeper.

We are to busy looking at WHO, but I think were looking at the wrong group. Think about it, all those murders could have been simple murders. The cab driver=basic robbery. I mean, there is something fishy here.

I would like to see all the political events going on around this time frame along with any police dept cuts, reports or anything like that. The only thing I know that happened in 68 and 69 was racial riots on colleges. I know the swine flu killed the Tea Parties. SO. What did the first letter stay? Don't lead the lambs to slaughter. KEEP YOUR SISTERS, WIVES, DAUGHTERS Indoors?

I'm just saying, think about it. Look at everything going on political in California, San Francisco and that whole area. You might just find your TRUE puzzle to unlock the identity of the Zodiac.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
even if the first was set up, i dont think they wouldve made ciphers they wouldnt solve
i would think maybe they would wait a while until the buzz died a little bit to solve the cipher to get everyones attention back

i dont think it was made up. i think the first murder was a crime of passion. im thinking silence of the lambs type thing.

buffalo bill killed what he coveted, he coveted what he saw daily, then he evolved from there

maybe zodiac did something similar. perhaps he stalked the first victim, tried to make a move on her, she rejected him and in his upset state he freaked out.
i think the later killings were so much better planned. i dont think he actually intended the first woman to get killed. he was at least somewhat narcissistic

and by now ive pretty much given up on trying to translate it like the other ciphers. i think thats a dead end. this is either made upt o confuse everyone or he used a new method. or a third possible option is very little of it is of any use.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think the Cipher's were never meant to be solved but just a "magician's tool" used to strengthen the illusion. Perfect for keeping peoples minds on something else.

I see what your saying about solving the cipher's to get everyone's attention back, but if they were "unsolveable" then they couldn't have.

But, look at how long the Zodiac went between murders. The first was at the end of 1968, the other was near the end of 1969. That would have gotten attention started back up.

Just seems that if this guy was real, he would have killed way more from his letters. I think there was so much time between murders, so the police could make sure the real suspect wasn't going to be linked back. And of course not to drift off from why they would have made this up in the first place: Politcal Leverage. I'm sure they had to have the right case to make this stick. The length of time between these crimes was just weird within itself, then we never hear from him again. Wonder if we can find out "who" retired, was fired, or died, from the dept around 3-6 months after the Zodiac dried up. Then again, it may have dried up due to none of those reason's, but because forensics got better. Maybe they figured they couldn't get away with it anymore. What forensic technology breakthrough did we have around the time the Zodiac disappeared? Lots of ways to look into this. The answer IS out there and thats a fact. But, we don't need to investigate Who The Zodiac is/was/could have been......but what else was going on around those times.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by J.Son79]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What an excellent thread, I’ve always been interested in The Zodiac Killer, you really know your stuff, I’m still only half way through your thread and its excellent.

Keep up the good work,

Star and flag.

Mikey

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Great thread. I haven't gone all the way through yet but S&F for you!

Also, does the audio clip start playing right when you load the page, cause it does whenever I do. If that's a glitch on ATS's end I guess I'd like report it. Could just as easily been my firefox or mac bringing up the issue, though. Either way, it really creeped me out, especially since the killer talks like this old man who hangs around a local coffee shop. He's mysterious, with a million crazy facts and stories. He acts like a hippie now, but he could have been anything in the late 60s...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Wicked thread, S & F for you my man.

Peace

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
themythlives, well done I've never followed these type of "theories" before but you got me hooked but more important you got me thinking.....
so star an flag for your great effort....
whats the next couple of profiles coming up, just as a teaser

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
A great thread,Myth S&F!
The Zodiac case is a fascinating one I have heard most of these guys bandied about as suspects at one point or another.Gyke I have never heard of as a possibility of being Zodiac an interesting guy to be sure.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
no body has mentioned MK Ultra yet, so I just had to toss that in

this story really needs a MK Ultra mentioning

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Another great thread, keep up the good work. I have read the whole series and they are very interesting.

This one even scared me a little after reading it very late at night. Personally, I do not think the first crime was commited by the same person, but was a crime of passion that got a lot of publicity and gave the killer the idea of how to become famous in their own way.

I saw someone ask a bit further up, but did not see any theories put forward with regards to the seemingly deliberate spelling errors. Maybe these were some other kind of clue or riddle related to they cypher's?

What is next up? I would love to see one on Jack the Ripper from olde London.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

I think you are on to something there.

I am also bothered by the randomness of the MO. I definitely don't think the first murder is a Zodiac murder. The other murders are far more cold and distant and the first victim's murder does not fit in. It could be that the Zodiac did kill people but also claimed murders that he did not commit. Maybe he was in the police so he had access to the details.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
To Everyone: THANK YOU for the suppoort it truely means a lot and thanks you for the great theories that you are providing! They are truely spectacular!

I liked that "made up" Killer theory a lot. I did not think about that, it could be made up crimes and if it is whoever the hell made them up needs to be punished seriously. Those young kids did not have to die for there enjoyment or funding. Nice Theory, it actually makes sense.

The MK Ultra theory is a nice loop in the hole. Did not think about that too much either. I could see that happening, but why would it be someone "lowly" and not some super star? But again nice theory.

I see that some of you are doubting the murder of Cheri Bates as being a victim of the Zodiac. She could have been killed in a crime of "passion", however, the letters written following her death, were in the police reports and cold case investigators similar to the Zodiacs writings (even though one was printed and one was hand written), they said the similarity of the wording matched well. However, as we all should know by now, the Zodiac would often take responsibility for crimes that he never did. So the Zodiac could have been trying to take the credit for Bates murder, however, in the college library where Bates was at. They found this:

www.zodiackiller.com...

and they stated that it was the Zodiacs doing on the desk. And the letters sent to the police and the letters sent to her family were also stated that they were Zodiac letters. And in the letters the Zodiac used details of the crime not known. However, he was smart and could have created what he thought happened and it by coincidence matched up.

I have begun to attempt to solve the cipher. I am looking at old codes used back in the day and have not found anything yet. However, I wouldn't ask another Zodiac site, only because they porbably won't release what they have and I won't know if what they have is accurate or not. So its probably best for us to just do it ourselves. I suppose we will have to go comando on this one..lol..

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE!

[edit on Jun 27th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Really enjoying this thread...

I think in the case of the first murder, it was someone that he'd known for quite a while, I get the impression since high school(?) and also the impression that he was probably a social outcast at school.

If we take it that the first murder was probably much more of a big deal for him, I think it can follow that progressively the murders got more cold and calculated as he started to find it easier and more exhilarating - sad to say.

Perhaps the unsolved cipher was a magicians trick, something to distract and maybe make the Zodiac seem something he wanted to be, but actually wasn't. There was also the declaration at one point that he would continue to kill, but not necessarily admit to it - so I think there's the possibility that there may well have been smaller gaps between the murders, but that sooner or later he craved attention and did one that he wanted to claim. If Zodiac truly was a thrill-killer, he might've "faked" murders in a variety of styles.

As for the theory the police were involved, I think it's quite possible, but not as a covert practice for funding, much more likely to have been a policeman acting on his own, maybe a detective?

I've got my Zodiac Killer Puzzle thread going if anyone wants to contribute there?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hate to say it but I'm just a bit pissed over the Police finally finding out who The Zodiac was, for years and Decades now it has been a Mystery and should have remained one!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join