It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commentary: Four Reasons Why Gun Sales Are Up

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is an excellent article! I am glad to see Law Enforcement is still with the people! Couple this with the Military and it seems the NWO may have very well bitten off more than it can chew...

This article also goes hand in hand with things I have been noticing as well.

Link to Article

This was written by...

Scott Wagner is a Police Academy Commander and Professor at Columbus State Community College in Columbus Ohio, and Commander of the 727 Counter Terror Training Unit. A 29 year law enforcement veteran, and current Deputy Sheriff, he is the Precision Marksman for the Union County Sheriff’s Office SRT Team.

The fear on the street is palpable. Ever since the election of Barack Obama as President of these United States in November 2008, coupled with the election of a democrat party majority in both the U.S. House and Senate, concern for the United States and personal safety has ignited like a fire in dry grass. Sales of guns – black guns, rifles, shotguns and handguns (particularly 9mm) everywhere, have gone through the roof. AR15s have literally flown off of dealer shelves, and only now in the spring of 2009, have I seen the display samples of ARs begin to reappear on the wall of my favorite shooting emporium after the initial post election rush.

Manufacturers of ARs are still working to catch up and some of the major suppliers are as much as 150,000 guns behind. Not only that, ammo is in the shortest supply I have ever seen in the 43 years of my shooting life. Have you recently tried to get 5.56mm, 9mm or even .380 ammo? Supplies of 5.56mm and 9mm ammo are in short supply due to the black gun buying craze; .380ACP because of the rise in people getting concealed carry permits and the resurgence of interest in convenient.380 handguns like the fine Ruger LCP. In fact, in doing a review of the Ruger LCP, my gun store only had a small supply of ONE .380 round on hand, the Winchesters 95-grain SXT, which they had just gotten in.

Unfortunately, I had to do a 30-round review of that pistol. There was none other to be found. The 5.56mm was the first caliber to noticeably be in short supply. This was first due to the war effort, the headlong adoption of 5.56mm rifles by law enforcement agencies ever since the great LAPD bank robbery and shootout, the general shooting public interest in and acceptance of the AR15 weapons system along with a realization that yes, the AR does have sporting purpose, and of course now, this new fear that is on the street. Sales of ARs also went up following 9/11.

What is odd about this new fear is that it is not coming from the average citizen gun owner out there, but it is coming from what to me is an almost shocking source: street cops. Street cops and SWAT cops that I know from various agencies – rural, suburban and metro – in my area are scared. Cops that before November 2008 never gave much thought (that I knew of anyway) to politics or more importantly to gun rights. For the most part, these are the guys that didn’t generally have any interest in shooting or gun ownership beyond keeping track of where their duty gun is, and a few of them didn’t even do that so well.

The guys I am talking about are some of the same guys who used to not even carry off duty on a regular basis- but not anymore. They don’t scare easily, defenders of the Constitution of this State and the United States (as our oath of office reads), have been buying ARs, survival gear, and all the ammo they can lay their hands on. All of them (or I should say “us”) have been discussing and have been acquiring guns to provide a layered perimeter defense.

We want something in .308 (or in my case a superb M1 Garand in .30-06) for covering the outer perimeters, 5.56mm weapons for mid-range use (for some with more limited funds, the AK-47 and 7.62×39 cartridge will suffice), and for the close up stuff shotguns and handguns (love my Benelli M4 Tactical and Beretta 92 9mm).

What are we suddenly so afraid of? Well in our discussions it seems to boil down to four areas. First, fear of federal government intrusion into our lives. Every time I look at or listen to the news, there is something new and intrusive coming out of the Obama administration and this Congress. New tax schemes, government-run Canadian-style healthcare, a volunteer citizen defense force (whatever that is, what happened to the National Guard?) equipped with funding similar to our military, forced voluntary “service” after retirement, a lack of a southern border with hordes of illegal and criminal aliens pouring over our border, the swine flu scare as well as government forced closing of thousands of privately held Chrysler and GM dealerships, which will be the final nail in the coffin for these companies and the list goes on and on.

But these items in the news are just the tip of the iceberg. We can’t see the full impact of these actions yet, but we don’t know what was added into the thousand of pages of stimulus package bills in the dead of night yet. I predict however that when the plans contained in the stimulus packages go into effect, a lot of us are going to be surprised if not shocked by what has suddenly and sweepingly changed.

What also scares us is the second, well-founded fear that there is an assault weapons ban looming, one that would make the Clinton Ban appear like a look of disdain in comparison. I remember well the 1990s and the Clinton years: the rise of militia groups, the “black helicopter” rumors and paranoia, all of which was motivated by the Brady Law and the Assault Weapon’s ban. What if a new ban comes requiring registration or confiscation and turn-in of banned weapons as what happened in Australia?

I watched cops and citizens alike purchase these guns at $900 dollars and more, with custom or tricked out guns easily running into the $2,000 range. Then add on all the accessories, red dots, lights, slings and anything else you can name and you may have up to $3,000 wrapped up in your rig. I saw the looks in their eyes. These purchasers weren’t spending this kind of money just to turn in the guns for no compensation when a government tells them to. I foresee much civil disobedience coming down the road.

Americans are citizens, and not subjects like the British, Canadians or Australians. They just don’t always obey the law blindly and not one officer or citizen that I spoke to said anything like “I hope I get to keep this gun for awhile before they are banned; They are fun to shoot, so I would hate to give it up.” It isn’t going to happen, so the cop on the street and the soldier on the base needs to think now what he will do if the orders come down. I think you all get what I am saying here.

Which leads me to the third fear, that there is a revolution coming, yes, a revolution on the scale of the original American Revolution. You can hear this topic discussed on many of the talk radio shows by even the big name hosts. The possibility of an armed revolution against the U.S. government is being discussed, albeit very gingerly and fleetingly and as something to be avoided, which it is. I never heard this mentioned in the 90s.

One of my quietest, low profile officer friends brought it up the other day. He said that at some point in the near future, he felt there is going to be an armed revolt if things keep going the way they are. Something has got to give. I was shocked. Yes, I had heard this from some of my more radical cop friends in the past, but to hear it from a guy like this was unprecedented for me. Now, these guys are not saying this will happen to foment revolution, preach sedition or to even participate. They just want to be ready if it happens, to at least defend their families, because number four on the fear list is general societal chaos.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25 Jun 09 by Gools]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The rest of the article.

Cops fear for their parents, wives, children or grandchildren more now than ever before. Most cops are encouraging their spouses and loved ones to get concealed carry permits. Not only that, but some of these same cops are buying gun mounts for their personal cars so they can carry an AR in the family ride at the ready all the time. They are also strapping on heavier forms of off-duty hardware. I have other friends that are issued ARs or subguns for tactical team use, who always have their gear with them and are planning on just commandeering these weapons for personal use in defending hearth and home.

Final Notes
This is pretty heady and maybe even dangerous stuff. Know fully that I am not advocating anything here. I am reflecting to you what I see and hear going on around me, and maybe saying things that haven’t been said in the open, until now. It is something to think about.

After reading this it gives me a little more hope...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hey as long as the Poe Poe is on the side of the people.....I see nothing wrong with them preparing as "we" have.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Well considering their kids and family will have live under the same umbrella we live in I could not imagine them not being on our side.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
great find OP, I think this spells some of our ideas and fears out very well; and am glad that it is the same fears for some of our police and active military. This could bode well for tha average citizen.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Yes sir.

TPTB have bitten off more than they can chew. Sure there will be a few "bad apples" so to speak, but it seems the "paranoia" is starting to become real concerns.

What kicked it off wasn't the Patriot Act, or anything that should have gotten peoples attention, but it was TARP getting shoved down our throats. We were able to stop it the first time, but the second time it got through and it proved to everybody that the politicians are easily paid off.

Now we have this onslaught of legislation that only a small minority of people want, but more importantly most of which is unconstitutional. And just as this guy said, people aren't buying guns just to turn them in.

I'm sure a few million will but what will get turned in will be peanuts, old rifles that don't work, old rusted guns, etc. Things are getting thick.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Indeed, Iran pales in comparison to what the people of the United States are capable of when pushed to far.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Yep, and the thing is because we have a gun culture, people are more civilized as a whole. People are taught to settle differences peacefully, but if it comes down to it then its time to start busting caps.

Reminds me of the saying, there comes a time in every mans life where you become to old to bust knuckles and too young to die so you start busting caps.

The thing is from what I've read is that really isn't to many Merc's, FBI, or Soldiers that will fire on the Citizens of this country. The ones to do will be dealt with accordingly and swiftly.

If revolution ever happens in this country it would be a slaughter.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I keep hearing about the second revolution, but yet to see an exact purpose of such.
The first one aimed at independence from the crown: clearly stated noble goal.
What would you, guys, fight for this time? I think it is pretty clear what you fight AGAINST, but without a clearly defined goal worth fighting FOR, it would be just a tragic bloodshed.
People in Russia revolted against social injustice, but did no know what to do with their gains. Look at them now! Back to square one...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ActuallyActuary

I'm not advocating a second revolution. I was just saying if one was to happen.

But if you don't know the goal of it then you obviously haven't been paying attention, or at ideological difference with 70% of the country, or your aren't from America.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Slaughter does not even come close to describe what would happen. Sad thing is it does not matter how many guns you guys stockpile and you should know this considering all the knowledge you have learned from ATS. Do you honestly think TPTB are gonna meet you in the middle of town at highnoon and have a gunfight with you the day TSHTF??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. When (if) you take to the streets TPTB will take to the skies and nuke you like a Hot Pocket. They will need to do this once to any useless town in Nowhere, USA and the rest of America will realize they wasted their hard earned money on weapons that compare to a slingshot at a gunfight. Guns will never give you back your country. But if it makes you sleep better at night.....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by max.is.awake

You are living in fantasy land. All the fertile soil to grow crops, all the oil shale that hasn't been dug up, all the gold under the land that hasn't been touched.

Please, they aren't going to use a nuke. They will use biological warfare first. Where is this nuke going to come from anyway? If a Nuke went off it would automatically trigger mass nuke attacks going off, can you say MAD(Mutually Assured Destruction)?

Not to mention if a nuke went off the polarization of the country would be so instant and so forceful TPTB wouldn't stand a chance.

I guess I have to repeat myself for a third time now:

I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF A REVOLUTION

Where you people come up with these whacked out theories I have no idea.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

I'm not advocating a second revolution. I was just saying if one was to happen.

But if you don't know the goal of it then you obviously haven't been paying attention, or at ideological difference with 70% of the country, or your aren't from America.

I am from America and paying attention. Please, if you have an answer - spell it out for me, otherwise I will conclude that you are just pissed off and don't really know what to do.
Or point me to the formulae of the 70%'s ideology.
From what I see, there is no coherent plan of action nor clear goal.
I concede that 70%(plus or minus) of the people here are upset and bitter, for various reasons. And nobody among them has a clue of what to do!
That is the only reason we got defeated by the the rest 30% - they had a plan, and implementing it now, quite successfully.
The only way they can be stopped is that we get fired up by a consize, well developed ideology.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by max.is.awake

I would bet lots of money you could not find anyone in the US that would drop nukes on any American citizens.

I know damn well Kissinger, Rockefeller, Bush, Bernake, or any of these other piles of crap aren't going to get their ignorant fat bodies in a plane and do it themselves so this will not happen.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Actuary, 'IF' it comes down to violence, I do not believe it will be a revolution with an aggressive stance. It will be the people defending themselves and what basic freedoms they have left.

I do not condone violence either myself yet I refuse to sit idle if they start rounding up my fellow citizens and hauling them off to FEMA camps.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

If we look through the pages of history, we can see multiple meglomaniacs who attempted to force their ideas on unwilling populaces. You can see the results.

Read of the President and his wife's final two hours in Romania.

Lots of folks are getting desperate by losing their homes, losing their businesses, and losing their jobs. Now, they're facing unparalleled tax increases in every form, shape, and fashion.

Everyone that's not as dense as a fence post sees the storm coming. You have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to see that there is going to be a major upheaval in this nation.

The end goal would be to restore the original Constitution, and eliminate the control and influence of Washington that began in the Civil War, was increased in 1913, eroded even further under Roosevelt, ruined by LBJ, and now pushed to the limit by our current turd.

The real change would be in restoring State's Rights. Period.

All we need from Washington is as originally allocated: a standard currency, a common defense, and provide for the common welfare - not welfare in general.

Taxes would be lowered, simplified, and paid to the States - who would allocate funds to the Fed to support their very LIMITED role in the United States.

It's the United STATES.

Not the United States of Washington.

And yes, guns will be necessary to restore local order. To enable the STATES to reassert their Constitutional authority.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

Actuary, 'IF' it comes down to violence, I do not believe it will be a revolution with an aggressive stance. It will be the people defending themselves and what basic freedoms they have left.

I do not condone violence either myself yet I refuse to sit idle if they start rounding up my fellow citizens and hauling them off to FEMA camps.

So, passive resistance to opression is your goal then? What if by than "..hauling them off to FEMA camps.." will become perfectly legal, in the name of hope and change? Do you really think that your courageous resistance will make any difference than? I bet your protests will be drowned in Obamabots cheers...
Don't get me wrong, I am not attacking you or anybody here personally, just pondering aloud. Because frankly I don't know what I will do.
I am strongly against any pointless violence, but I can understand the arms stockpiling (got some recently myself :cool
. What escapes me is the plurality of discussions on ATS on similar topics full of vague statements like ".. I will do something, don't know what, but manly and spectacular.."

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The American Revolution was an anti-authoritarian one. The King is still pressing his thumb on us. Just not from England. He's doing it from D.C.. The system of taxation under threat of death is simply neo-feudalism. We're all share-cropping for the King. The King is the federal government.

We are arguably much worse off now than we were when the Revolution was fought.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I think you mistake vagueness for cautiousness and not wanting to showing all your cards mixed in with a little bit of different reactions to various possible scenarios.

Oh and if they start hauling off citizens to FEMA camps, no matter what law they pass it is completely ILLEGAL by the constitution and you better believe the resistance would hardly be described as "little."

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

...The end goal would be to restore the original Constitution, and eliminate the control and influence of Washington that began in the Civil War, was increased in 1913, eroded even further under Roosevelt, ruined by LBJ, and now pushed to the limit by our current turd.

The real change would be in restoring State's Rights. Period.

All we need from Washington is as originally allocated: a standard currency, a common defense, and provide for the common welfare - not welfare in general.

Taxes would be lowered, simplified, and paid to the States - who would allocate funds to the Fed to support their very LIMITED role in the United States.

It's the United STATES.

Not the United States of Washington.

And yes, guns will be necessary to restore local order. To enable the STATES to reassert their Constitutional authority.

I like your statements and fully agree with them. But, I can foresee how easily corruptible they are. Examples:

Restore Constitution - with ALL amendments? if not - which ones to keep?
Common welfare - you know how is it defined on South Side Chicago..

There is a lot of work in concretizing the overall good intentions, and so far I don't see anybody doing this.
We need a rallying cry and a substance behind it!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join