It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's child poverty disgrace

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Britain's child poverty disgrace

rinf.com

Official figures published today show that a quarter of children in London are from jobless households, adding fuel to criticism of the government’s attempts to end child poverty.

The Office of National Statistics (ONS) stated that, while the national average for children living in households where nobody works is 15 per cent, this was seen to markedly rise to 23 per cent in London and, to a lesser degree, in north-east and north-west England, West Midlands and Wales, which averaged 18 per cent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Of the many changes in the British social economy over the past two decades that have affectedthe ability of working-age adults to secure incomes above poverty levels, Four are particularly important:
-growth in workless households
-increased earnings inequality
-reduced earnings mobility
-an increased wage loss from spells of unemployment. (1)

Britain has one of the highest employment rates among developed nations, with 75 percent of working age adults in work (a fraction below that in the US). Although this aggregate employment rate has been pretty stable, the share of households with at least one working age adult but no one employed has grown sharply, from 8 percent in 1979 to 17 percent in 2000

rinf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-6-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
And yet MP's can claim for multiple homes with made up expenses and then laugh at the public whilst waving banknotes intheir faces ( near enough but no pictures of them actually doing it). MP's don't know squat about running anything except a mad rush to the cash machine to line their own pockets.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well this is what we get for paying for a despicable underclass to raise their useless, bastard children to become chavs. They are not in poverty at all, they live quite well indeed (I have had extensive contact with that kind of culture, and I despise it) and trust me, they have plenty of money, they just don't work for it.

I imagine we're working up to another world war or something and need to shore up the numbers...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

“New Labour has failed to tackle child poverty because it has refused to address inequality and the distribution of wealth,” he said.

“Child poverty has risen over the last three years and is still higher than it was in the mid-1980s. Today, 3.9 million children remain in poverty.”
OP's source

quoting the disparity in wealth as a cause of poverty suggests that what is being discussed is relative poverty rather than actual poverty.

actual poverty is going to bed hungry, relative poverty is you neighbor having a better job and a nicer car.

i don't want any kid going to bed hungry but i care not a jot for relative poverty while there are still children dying of starvation.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Well this is what we get for paying for a despicable underclass to raise their useless, bastard children to become chavs. They are not in poverty at all, they live quite well indeed (I have had extensive contact with that kind of culture, and I despise it) and trust me, they have plenty of money, they just don't work for it.

I imagine we're working up to another world war or something and need to shore up the numbers...

You voted BNP didn't you?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

are you mad, such ignorance and stupidity indicates he's unlikely to have been able to figure out how to fill in the ballot.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
UK child poverty could be alleviated by one single change in DWP policy...make Child Benefit means-tested

Child Benefit payments are made to every family, regardless of whether the total household income is £10,000 or £100,000...to those at the bottom its an essential part of income, to those at the top, its an extra foreign holiday

These are the current CB payment levels:

Eldest or only child £20.00
Additional children - per child £13.20

child benefits rates

Multiply those amounts paid out by several million housholds that don't need that payment and re-direct to those households on the breadline, and you make a huge dent in the problem

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
You voted BNP didn't you?

Sorry, would you like to egg me, repress my freedom of speech and then call me a facist?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by Donnie Darko

are you mad, such ignorance and stupidity indicates he's unlikely to have been able to figure out how to fill in the ballot.

And do you have anything to actually, you know, counteract what I have said? What I have said is the utter cold truth. You might not want to see it, but it is there.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Well this is what we get for paying for a despicable underclass to raise their useless, bastard children to become chavs.

The fact that you call these people "despicable Underclass" just proves your ignorance and lack of actual depth of knowledge about what its like to live #. The problem with Chav's isn’t going to go away until people are paid properly and given the means to support themselves independently. From this year alone you should know that the "Upper-class" and the "Underclass" Are both parasites of this country. There is no point in attacking one and defending another. No one should be punished for being born into disadvantaged circumstances.

They are not in poverty at all, they live quite well indeed (I have had extensive contact with that kind of culture, and I despise it) and trust me, they have plenty of money, they just don't work for it.

Haha, Very nice. These people that cannot afford to put clothes on there backs, pay for housing, electric, gas, water, council tax are what? Hiding money? Yes, your so right, there not poor, they save every penny they have. What you must be referring to is the drug dealers? But by the comment, you make it sound like everyone in a disadvantaged area is a dealer? And if that was the case there would be a lot more killings and cheaper drugs. Which would also fuel crime and basically the whole vicious cycle trapping people into poverty.

I actually agree. It would make sense to make people more poor in order to have more people join the army.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
hm..does anyone have a more detailed statistic ? it would be interesting to see what kind of nationalities, education levels, religious groups etc are the most exposed to unemployment. Looking at the root of the problem allways helps..

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
last man on earth, LMAO...
what a blanket statement of the working class people, bet you wept when margaret thatcher was ousted and kicked from the conservative party..
if the conservatives had not privatised everything maybe there would be hope for the younger generation, not silly fresco/burger-king " careers "
renationalise the gas, electric, the railways, buses .. the whole damn lot an give the younger generation a chance to develop to productive citizens...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
last man on earth, LMAO...
what a blanket statement of the working class people, bet you wept when margaret thatcher was ousted and kicked from the conservative party..
if the conservatives had not privatised everything maybe there would be hope for the younger generation, not silly fresco/burger-king " careers "
renationalise the gas, electric, the railways, buses .. the whole damn lot an give the younger generation a chance to develop to productive citizens...

Spot on!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
The fact that you call these people "despicable Underclass" just proves your ignorance and lack of actual depth of knowledge about what its like to live #.

Actually no, you're entirely wrong. I spent a lot of my life doing drugs, and the thing about doing drugs is that you end up having to go to the worst kind of people to get them.

Thus I have spent far, far too many hours of my life in some #hole council-flat with a group of people I could describe only as reprehensible. And I have lived all over this country, and I have seen it everywhere. Believe me, I have had to endure Neo Nazis telling me how bad, well, everyone is, I've had to endure the worst of chav scum telling me how the kicked the hell out of an old man on a friday night, and the worst part about it is that I had to smile and nod and not throttle them because I was outnumbered X to one.

Now, I'm telling you, I know FULL WELL what these people are like, how they raise their kids and how phenominally worthless they are. You can be some liberal "well, everyone has a good side" but I've dealt with the sort of people who will kick a baby deer to death, and they really don't have one.

Originally posted by SearchLightsIncThe problem with Chav's isn’t going to go away until people are paid properly and given the means to support themselves independently.

No, no and thrice no. These people don't want to work, they want to abuse the system and they do. They have no interest in working, their father's don't work and never have, and the state pays them a shocking amount to sit around and pump out useless bastard children. I know 3 single people who are pregnant or who have made someone pregnant in the last month, and those women who are carrying these children are still smoking weed.

And no matter how badly I react to them, they just give me a "woteva!" response.

I hate to say it, but you do not have a clue.

Originally posted by SearchLightsIncFrom this year alone you should know that the "Upper-class" and the "Underclass" Are both parasites of this country. There is no point in attacking one and defending another. No one should be punished for being born into disadvantaged circumstances.

That's right, but there is no excuse not to have the desire to raise yourself above the circumstances you were born into. Unfortunately, these are the sort of people who just don't have any concept of what you mean.

Originally posted by SearchLightsIncHaha, Very nice. These people that cannot afford to put clothes on there backs, pay for housing, electric, gas, water, council tax are what?

Are you kidding me? I have never, ever seen so much money spent on a pair of trainers. All I used to hear from these people is how much they spent on jackets, hoodies, shoes etc. They get free freaking money and they piss it away, they earn money - good money too - from drug dealing and theft.

I'm sorry, but that is the way the uncivilized section of British society lives. They live to abuse the system, and they always will until the system changes.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Democracy is brill innit?
We get to make limited choices on stuff we don't know anything about while the rich get rich and the poor get poorer.
I am well up for storming the houses of parliament, lords and downing street. If you're up for it u2u me... I reckon we'll need about 10,000 people.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
Democracy is brill innit?
We get to make limited choices on stuff we don't know anything about while the rich get rich and the poor get poorer.

Wrong...the only limitations are the ones you choose to accept. The notion of rich/poor is only a viable arguement if you choose to compare youself to another. Whilst you may be 'poor' in comparison to, say, Alan Sugar, you are 'richer' than 90% of the world's population

I am well up for storming the houses of parliament, lords and downing street. If you're up for it u2u me... I reckon we'll need about 10,000 people.

And that will solve precisely what? To enable you (if successful in your intentions) to put limitations on others so making yourself feel richer in comparison to those who you seek to oust or suppress?

Get off your backside, use the brains god gave you, and do something to make a positive change for yourself, rather than blame others for your own situation...your choice.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Don't worry dude, I know what your saying. I too have contact with several of these "long-term unemployed" and completely agree with you. There is no desire to work, they go through the motions of signing on without actually "seeking a job", as the allowance implies.

Also, the actual threshold to be considered as living in poverty is actually quite high. It doesn't mean cardboard shoes and porridge for dinner, not by a long shot.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Oops, tickled your tootsies there didn't I?
I do feel limited to some extent. Without society I could have been born in a cave or a hut... I would then have had a choice to do what I want. In fact I've done well with the limited choices I have been given... some would say successful but I measure success in how 'emotionally aware' I am, rather than how good my job is or how much money I have.

When I say the poor getting poorer I wasn't referring to my wealth... I'm rich. I was referring to what I see around... in a relative context. Here in the UK we are unlucky to live in a false democracy but lucky enough to only have a small amount of poor people who are actually suferring really seriously. However in Africa for example their poor people really suffer and would think the UK poor people are lucky.... I understand this, I have seen these things first hand. Infact I have been in the presence of a poor person from Scotland meeting a really poor family in Africa... This taught me a lot.

I hope I do use my brains to better myself and help thers. I guess my sense of humour is too dry to express it on here. I don't really want to start a revolution... Infact I thought it would be seen as a joke because it is so blatently against the T&C's of the website :-)

I do feel limited though, in this world, a world where I have money to do what I want and where I work very few hours. I feel limited because the people here are side tracked by society's ways... the MSM, TV etc etc this takes away their choices. They feel they have choices but I am sure the choices are only limited to what they know.. because they/we know little we are limited.
But I am sure in time we will learn more and expand our choices. Perhaps once we all learn to love one another, unconditionally, then we will all understand where we went wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Actually no, you're entirely wrong. I spent a lot of my life doing drugs, and the thing about doing drugs is that you end up having to go to the worst kind of people to get them.

d'ya think that your opinions might be a little skewed considering you basing them on a bunch of low life drug dealing scumbags, by any chance?

and by the way, the fact that you've spent "a lot" of your life doing drugs and still need to go to a scuzzy council flat to score crap drugs from chavs you hate underlines the fact that you're probably a stupid half wit with a big mouth, as if your opinions weren't enough.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join