It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Save Money, California Plans to Deport Illegal Immigrant Inmates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

To Save Money, California Plans to Deport Illegal Immigrant Inmates

www.cnsnews.com

With California slipping into a financial sinkhole, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is proposing to save more than $180 million by cutting short the sentences of thousands of immigrants in the state's prisons and turning them over to federal authorities for deportation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I looked around for this story but couldn't find it on here.

I don't know whether this is a good idea or bad idea? On the surface it might seem like it's the right thing to do, but when you think about it - we do not secure our border anyway, and we would be releasing thousands of criminals for deportation. How long before they sneak back into the United States?

But the article does state that violent criminals and sex offenders will not be eligible.

www.cnsnews.com

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manwin
the article does state that violent criminals and sex offenders will not be eligible.

www.cnsnews.com

In other words only the people in there who were caught with drugs. People who shouldn't be in jail in the first place. They should be in rehab, if anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
OH Noooooo! The crime rate is lower in Mexico than most places in the states.

I like Mexico, please don't send them there.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Tell you what, send them over here to the UK seeing as we're the Americans Lapdog....
We'll look after them for you, and then when they've served their sentences we'll give them a home and money to spend.

But then again if America didn't lock up for every little crime maybe the prisons wouldn't be so full ?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Yes no doubt they will be back in business and there is more money to be made selling drugs in the US then elsewhere. So that's where they will operate and I'm not sure if the government knows this but drug dealers don't pay taxes. If people are spending the money they earn on drugs rather then tax paying business it really hurts government revenue. Not to mention all the medical expenses caused by the illegal drug industry.

That said, I'm not sure what you could do to stop the vicious cycle because America appears to be completely unable to secure it's borders when compared to other nations. Maybe instead of worring about the security of the rest of the world it wouldn't hurt to bring home some American forces to help secure your own borders.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Good for California - they finally did something right by getting rid of extra mouths to feed and a bunch of low level state workers housing them.

The war on drugs & the corrections cost is bankrupting our entire country.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I am so happy they plan to do this BUT.......I thought that WAS already the policy and am disgusted to learn that its not.
I can't believe they don't ship an arrested illegal home right after a proper sentencing of "get the heck out of our country you criminal"

I find it absurdly stupid to HOUSE & FEED illegal alien criminals. I am just shaking my head at the inane things that this country does while we let so many GOOD and decent American citizens go without proper medication or even healthy food.

Would seem like many people would come here and do stupid crimes just to GET this nice free room & bored AND medical care since it is so freely given.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Manwin

Yes! Send all illegals and/or law-breakers back to their own country.

If we could do that here in NZ we would have a much lower prison population.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
He will cut health care for children, swimming pools for kids, slash budgets for schools, lay off teachers but, they'll be financing the "Save the Seals" project...

As far as the Mexican Criminals...Yes send them back, we need someone to test our new fence...

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

Originally posted by Manwin
the article does state that violent criminals and sex offenders will not be eligible.

www.cnsnews.com

In other words only the people in there who were caught with drugs. People who shouldn't be in jail in the first place. They should be in rehab, if anything.

I agree. Drug users should not be doing hard time, they should be in rehab. Marijuana should be legal anyway.

RiverGoddess: I couldn't agree more. They should have been deported as soon as they were caught, instead of getting shipped to our jails. It is insanity.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Manwin

Illegal Immigrant Drug Dealers/Users Should be in prison, Don't come into my country illegally and perform illegal activities or you go to jail/prison...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote

Probably because all of Mexico's criminals jump the border into the U.S. That's one reason their government doesn't want a closed border: it's an easy way to get rid of their pond life.

They should deport them all, but this is a good start.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal
He will cut health care for children, swimming pools for kids, slash budgets for schools, lay off teachers but, they'll be financing the "Save the Seals" project...

As far as the Mexican Criminals...Yes send them back, we need someone to test our new fence...

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

Yes, makes a lot of sense to release them and deport them only to have them jump the fence and have to go through our expensive justice system to again be thrown in jail and then released again. Or am I being to hard on these poor dregs of society???LOL

Zindo

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote

I like Mexico, please don't send them there.

Hmmm I heard that the corruption rate of the police forces in Mexico was higher than in the US, so that may reduce incentives to report crimes there. Thus even if Mexico had the same crime rate as the US, the stats might be lower due to under-reporting of crime? Just a thought, I have no facts to back it up.

Anyway, I too am surprised to find out we are not already doing this, though I suspect many will end up back in the US. As long as they're not violent criminals I guess we can live with that.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Send them to me. I teach people the simplest survival skill. Print m and be merry!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jacob08
Maybe instead of worring about the security of the rest of the world it wouldn't hurt to bring home some American forces to help secure your own borders.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Jacob08]

Oh to dream a little dream.
I wish it were that easy but the politicians won't let it happen and they are interfering when the states try to do it.

If any administration ever had decided to do it, they could have our borders locked up tighter than the DMZ in Korea.

They just don't want to and they ignore the citizens who do.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Tell you what, send them over here to the UK seeing as we're the Americans Lapdog....
We'll look after them for you, and then when they've served their sentences we'll give them a home and money to spend.

But then again if America didn't lock up for every little crime maybe the prisons wouldn't be so full ?

That sounds like a great idea to make up for all of the colonies over here which were simply a place to send prisoners from the UK :-)

I can't tell you how odd it is living in a state which was originally just a penal colony... And people wonder why there is so much crime in Atlanta :-)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What will be done to ensure that they don't simply return to the US, and if they do, what, do we just put them back in jail?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join