It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Warpship!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Introducing the Warpship!

dsc.discovery.com

Until now, there has been little idea about what a spaceship propelled by a warp drive (or a warpship) would look like. Would it resemble the sleek Starship Enterprise? Or will it be like nothing we've seen before?

After speaking with Dr. Richard Obousy, he shared his concept for a futuristic, yet scientifically accurate, warpship design.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting! It is a theoretical design that runs on "dark energy"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b1058affcf7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f355d460241.jpg[/atsimg]

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-6-2009 by MysterE]

[edit on 15/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
cool looks like

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones spacecraft and the ground machines on Geonosis

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
looks like a highly modified TIE fighter to me

They are acting like this is all "matter of fact" when in reality, this is little more than fantasy (aka modern physics is mostly inaccurate)

Star Wars and Star Trek offer far better ship designs (being they are fantasy as well)

Not to mention the tons of video games out there that offer even more designs.

So i give this hunk of junk two thumbs down.

Spaceships can come in pretty much any shape or size, so IMO we should stick with the really cool looking stuff

this thing is just ugly, id rather have an original TIE fighter or an Xwing

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

i dont know i take that back

i thought the TIE series were ugly as heck too, but honestly, they grew on me and now i think they rock

so maybe this would grow on me too

by the way, heres a cool link for tons of SW concept star fighters (which i think most are really good)

starwars.wikia.com...

theres so many designs - im sure at least a few of them would work if only we had a engine system to make it work
and a mass barrier deflector system...

no, im not a star wars geek - i just know good sci-fi when i see it

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Even if you could create a warp bubble and traavel faster than light how would you possibly prevent your self from smashing into something?

Say for instance you meticulously plan your route in advance of going to light speed (and the precision and detail there is mind blowing) once under way there is no way you could scan space in front of of you beyond the leading edge of the warp bubble! The reason? nothing travels faster than flipping light
not even your ship because technically for the ship it's not it's just in a bubble of different space. Did that make sense? don't care I'm ill today

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I think I got it?!?

-E-

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Gentlemen, you don't need dark energy.

In par to my most recent want to gather the community to enlarge the knowledge of all of such matters, read what I wrote here. I want your opinions.

Dark energy? pfff. You don't need that! You just need power and antimatter, plus strong materials. The good professor has a good idea, but mine is better and more practical so that we can build it NOW!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Gorman91]

P.S. MysterE, I like this topic. Tell the mods if you'd like to merge our two topics and have twice the info available.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So why do they wish to embarrass humans by creating something that looks like two bicycle tires, they even did it black. Its not very cool.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Because cool isn't viable. Quirky has always been superior.

Nothing cool comes from primitive creations. Always one starts out with what works first.

you need a mainframe for that car before you can put a tailfin on it

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
So why do they wish to embarrass humans by creating something that looks like two bicycle tires, they even did it black. Its not very cool.

Actually, although it didn't mention anything about it in the article there, I don't believe the design was with aesthetics in mind, but probably more so functionality instead.

When I first looked at the picture I thought it was not original at all. It is merely an updated design of 1970's designs for "space stations at Mars", et al...

So then those "bicycle tires" are not at all for looks, they are the quarters for the astronauts and are obviously that way for gravity-simulation effect, right? Those "tires" spin within that frame, and give the astronauts the centrifugal (sp?) feeling of gravity. This will certainly help negate the detrimental effects on the body when flying through space for a few years straight, and make for a much more comfy working environment...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Very interesting find. For those who believe FTL travel is impossible, the same was said about the sound barrier until Chuck Yager broke it. Kinda funny since the crack of a whip is actually a sonic boom!

Originally posted by muzzleflash
They are acting like this is all "matter of fact" when in reality, this is little more than fantasy (aka modern physics is mostly inaccurate)

And you got your doctorate in Physics from....

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Pretty neat find OP.A star for your warpship pics.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is a farce!

The entire concept starts with the creation of a Space Time Bubble, meaning you step outside of space and time.

They admittedly have no idea how to create a space time bubble.

The concept only works after you have achieved the currently impossible, and totally unknown.

Here is my design for a space time ship .

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Very interesting find. For those who believe FTL travel is impossible, the same was said about the sound barrier until Chuck Yager broke it. Kinda funny since the crack of a whip is actually a sonic boom!

Originally posted by muzzleflash

And you got your doctorate in Physics from....

He doesn't need a doctorate. It's common knowledge to anyone with a passing interest that dark energy is thus far purely a hypothetical force.

However, the amount of energy required would be enormous, equivalent to converting the entire mass of Jupiter to energy. That amount is at least feasible, whereas Einstein's original calculations found that simply traveling at the speed of light would take an infinite amount of energy.

Baylor researcher Richard Obousy said the required energy needed to warp space could potentially be sharply reduced in the future.

"Early calculations indicated that a warp drive would require more mass energy than was available in the entire universe," Obousy said. "Later, a more ingenious calculation demonstrated that it would require about the mass energy contained within an entire galaxy. What is exciting about our warp drive paradigm is that we have further reduced the energy requirement to the total mass energy contained in a typical gas giant--the planet Jupiter, for example

www.eetimes.com...

We currently have no means through traditional engineering techniques to produce enough power to make such a ship work. I suspect suspect teleportation will be easier to achieve, or even travel by the power of thought.

And another thing, it always bugs me when I see these sort of mock up prototypes that no one seems to understand that a sphere is the best possible shape for any craft, especially one that rolls forward on a blanket of scrunched up spacetime.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sharps

The poster didn't say dark matter was a farce, they said most of modern physics was a farce. So I would still like to know how this poster knows more than those who have actually studies physics.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Dude, it isn't impossible. What the scientists wrote is a far easier and advanced version of what we can do now. if you made a ring of black holes around you, spinning in opposite direction to the one opposite to it, you could alter gravity waves so as to create a big bubble around you of black hole-level relativity. Then use the waves to create another bubbles inside that goes faster to your own relativity (earth). Then place the ship in Earth-like relativity bubble along side the faster bubble. Accelerate the fast bubble with normal engines. The slow relativity bubble won't allow the bubble to leave because light cannot escape, and so information cannot escape to provide the information of movement. When the fast bubble propels the slow bubble faster than light, no information can reach the contents to tell it to stop, so the craft zooms away in this gravity wave concoction at speeds greater than the speed of light to our relativity.

This is not difficulty. It can be done today. We just don't have the money or want

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have currently three designs, a sphere, a double-cone shape(that resembled a real UFO), and something that looks like a Trekkie ship, only with warp nacelles that ran the whole length of the ship and may number in in three or four, not just two which is common in Trek 'verse.

I call the warp engines, 'harmonic emitters' and may have similarity to one of Tesla's inventions.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Tesla's work is not directly linked to warp speed but his designs are viable in warp engine construction because their shape and operation are very efficient and useful.

I too have designed such things. PM me your designs and I'll do the same. Learning such things are always fun.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It kinda looks like the machine on "Contact".

[edit on 16-6-2009 by becomingaware]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join