It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Warpship!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The sphere and it's many elliptic varieties will always be the best way to alter relativity and space time. It's basic calculus. As yee ol' math teacher said in high school, SMOOTH IS GOOOOOD!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
So why do they wish to embarrass humans by creating something that looks like two bicycle tires, they even did it black. Its not very cool.

That was funny.
It sure isn't pretty.

How about a sphere instaed?

[edit on 16-6-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Long term space travel requires gravity. The ship design is perfect for that function because spinning those 'bicycle wheels' will provide it for those living inside.

How horribly deforming would floating be over periods lasting months, if not years? Muscles would eventually atrophy.

Give me that model over the shuttle anyday.

SP edit

[edit on 16/6/09 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Sadly that is a common misconception. The spinning things in space are NOT gravity. They are using velocity and rotation to make a feeling of gravity. In actuality it is not. Gravity can only be made through mass and altering mass.

In which case the rotation of large gravity items compressed through temperature alteration can create alteration in space time large enough for a craft to surf on space time. Dark energy and dark matter could make this operation far more efficient.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Gorman91]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You're absolutely right, of course. It's called Coriolis Force and might also be called psuedo-gravity.

In the link are several designs and the last one is what I see when compared to the structure the OP offered. A kind of Deep Space 9 idea.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I know. However the scientist doesn't realize that we know how to go faster than light right now. such crafts, however, would be as large as a mile or more. They'd be comparable to the old computers of the 50s, with his design being maybe something in the 60s or 80s, and something from star trek being the 2010s.

Hey, at least we'll be on another solar system within our life times. I'd love to walk on gliese 581 c before my hair goes gray.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Im my opinion it's not the most attractive design. This is just the imagination of one scientist taking into account known Physics. Since a great deal of Physics is yet unknown it's doubtful any such warpship in future will look anything like this one.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

nope, it will. Sorry, but the ufo / circular design is the best. It always has been for altering space time.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Good stuff, it looks like we are finally moving towards the conceptualization phase of FTL travel. Granted the crafts look weird right now but they will improve, and if not who cares how they look. The only thing needed would be a navigational computer, it is possible it could use a type of quantum gravity/tunneling navigation system. Both the drive and navigation must be operational if this is to be a reality. ATS member Gorman91 has some VERY good ideas on a concept craft and engine. Good stuff here E!

[edit on 6/16/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I feel like I'm watching "a sound of Thunder" in real life. lol. Start a conversation on the topic and all of the sudden a lot of news in that area comes out.

I love how many are looking at this topic more now. It makes me happy and more hopeful that I will see the glare of a foreign star through in the sky before I die.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Thanks jkrog! If it goes warp speed, it could look like a Prius for all I care! (Slight exageration!) When I first saw the illustration I thought the two identical rings looked like particle accelerators, then it made me think of the ship in the movie Event Horizon... I think I might watch that tonight!

-E-

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Also, not sure if you all saw this, but it is a conversation between the author of the article and Dr. Richard Obousy, who came up with this futuristic design!

Dark Energy and Surfing Spacetime

-E-

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

LOL, why did you have to link that article! I am getting overwhelmed with information today! Event Horizon is a CREEPY MOVIE, I love it though. Hey maybe we can go see Taymour's planetoid with it!LOL.........

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by MysterE

Hey maybe we can go see Taymour's planetoid with it!LOL.........

I felt like I got broken up with in highschool when that thread closed! The wound is still fresh! He U2U'd me again. I don't know, it's just not the same now that money was involved.

-E-

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think the craft looks great. Especially for one of the first designs.

I guess this kills the question, how did extraterrestrials get here?

It's actually a very simple concept and it's theoretically sound. The universe is 13.7 billion years old but the universe is 156 billion light years across. Light didn't travel this far because light is limited to c.

Space expanded faster than c. This can occur without violating relativity.

So, riding on one of these ships would be a smooth ride because you would instantley appear at your destination.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Space expanded faster than c. This can occur without violating relativity.

EXACTLY!!

I do not see why some still have issues with this, this is SIMPLE. Einstein was right, nothing can go faster than light INSIDE of space, BUT SPACE ITSELF can expand at any rate. Unfortunately there is no current way to test this right now. I also do not believe the Universe is flat (sound familiar?lol). I agree with Dr. Kaku that universes are bubble or spherical shaped with infinite internal size (due to dimensional difference) but with possible infitismal external size in the Bulk or Hyperspace.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Cyberbian

Dude, it isn't impossible. What the scientists wrote is a far easier and advanced version of what we can do now. if you made a ring of black holes around you, spinning in opposite direction to the one opposite to it, you could alter gravity waves so as to create a big bubble around you of black hole-level relativity. Then use the waves to create another bubbles inside that goes faster to your own relativity (earth). Then place the ship in Earth-like relativity bubble along side the faster bubble. Accelerate the fast bubble with normal engines. The slow relativity bubble won't allow the bubble to leave because light cannot escape, and so information cannot escape to provide the information of movement. When the fast bubble propels the slow bubble faster than light, no information can reach the contents to tell it to stop, so the craft zooms away in this gravity wave concoction at speeds greater than the speed of light to our relativity.

This is not difficulty. It can be done today. We just don't have the money or want

In a word NO!

The article clearly states in slide 3: "How exactly the bubble would be created is still a mystery."

I based my response to the article's content. I maintain my position FARCE!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
there is no way you could scan space in front of of you beyond the leading edge of the warp bubble! The reason? nothing travels faster than flipping light

The speed of light in vacuo is the same in all inertial frames. Therefore light from objects ahead of you would still reach you at the speed of light. You'd be able to see fine, only the light reaching you from objects ahead would be considerably blueshifted, so maybe you'd need to look at things in the X-ray or gamma-ray band rather than the visible-light spectrum.

However, there are even scarier paradoxes in store. You might, for example, collide with an obstruction before you got to it. FTL and causality

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

That's because we have yet to fully know how. We know how to create it, just not if it would work... because we have yet to make it. Until we start spending money to test such designs, we never will know. But theoretically, what I described could work. There's no reason why it couldn't. It'd just be trillions of dollars and need mass and energy enough to create a small star. LOTS of time and effort. But hey, they already are building a fusion power facility that creates a small star. Who knows how far it will be in a decade.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

they already are building a fusion power facility that creates a small star.

Where is this at? You can't be talking about CERN..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join