It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Access to Health Care a Basic Human Right?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yesterday, I was watching CNN and a Republican Congressman from Georgia (don't remember his name) was asked if he though access to health care was a basic human right. Of course, he said no, but it got me to thinking. Should the level of health care you have access to be limited by who you are or how much money you make? Does a CEO of a Corporation deserve better healthcare than a public school teacher? Does your Congressman or Congresswoman deserve better health care than your kids? Can we really tout ourselves as the most civilized society on Earth if we base our heath care access on how much money you make or your position in society? We consider education a basic human right, as we not only provide equal access to basic education, but mandate that all children are educated.

What do you think???

[edit on 14-6-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
When was education listed as a human right?
When it gets to "rights" where do you stop? Libs will scream about small businesses not providing healthcare to their staff. But if they do, then what? Providing cars so they can get to work?
You said above that political leaders have better healthcare. They also drive nicer cars, have nicer homes. . .

I mean, where do you draw the line?

Just throwing some thoughts out there. Not trying to sound angry, but since when do we have to GIVE anything to anyone that didn't work for it?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Does a CEO work harder than a teacher at your local High School? Does your Congressman work harder than the farmer who grows your food? This is not a liberal/conservative issue, it's a societal issue. Should your Congresswoman live due to the care she got for her breast cancer, while your sister who works at Walmart dies due to lack of access to the same health care?

And we may not say education is a basic human right in this country (US for our non-american members), but we provide it and legislate it like it is, so basically is.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have not had health insurance in my life. Other than injuries where I was taken to the hospital I have not been to a Dr. or been hospitalized since I got out of the Army in the early 80's.

I have also had no dental coverage in my life. Do I think I deserve free insurance and discounted health/dental care? I would say no. Why would someone who for most of his life could not afford health insurance think this way you might ask?

It is because I do not think you deserve to pay it for me. It would be you and you and you who are reading this that would end up being the ones to pay for my health care. That is just wrong. Why should you be made to pay more in taxes to pay for my health care? Why should I pay for your health care as well?

Should you pay my car insurance also if I can not afford it? Perhaps you should also to trim my trees and mow my lawn since those are expenses I just cant afford perhaps.

You have as much right to health care as you have to any other service you need.

With that said I think you do deserve the right to affordable health care. Does that sound contradictory to you? If you listen to the public debate on health care reform then perhaps it does.

What I mean is that the health care system is bloated and inefficient. It is also exclusionary when it comes to treatment options. The US health care system is over burdened by bureaucracy at every level. The problems are many. The answers are there but are mostly ignored because some people make a lot of money off this inherent bloat and inefficiency. The same can be said with everything the government gets involved in of course.

Government planning and and government involvement is the largest part of the problem. It institutionalizes corruption and greed and makes it more profitable on every level.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yes, it is.

People dying in waiting rooms because of how bad the United States healthcare system is is just pitiful.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Healthcare is not a human right. Healthcare is a luxury.

Is Healthcare overpriced in the US? Yes

Why is it overpriced? Because the government started screwing with it and because people got insurance to pay the bills and now most people do not care about the cost and so costs go up. If you want a fair, cheap healtcare system make everyone pay for it out of pocket.

Then instead of paying insurance every month stick some money away for when something bad happens to you.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
When less than 20% of the worlds population use 80% of the worlds resources it has to be addressed. What are basic human rights?

I have never considered myself to be a liberal minded person, however, I have looked into the eyes of people that were not merely hungry, but starving to death. I've wrestled with the question "Why should a few have far more than they'll ever need, while many go without anything?"

I'm not saying that there aren't lazy people that believe they should get something for nothing, but I don't think they are the majority of those going without medical care, food or clean water. I know that I pay a hefty sum for medical ins. every month, however when we go to the doctor we are still expected to cough up more.

The wealthy would have you believe that because someone is poor they must be lazy or stupid. Guess what? To them we are poor, so we also must be .....

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LeftyBrown

That only happens because people all go to the emergency room for stuff they dont need to go for. It is just a way for people to get away for free or to not have to pay their copay on the spot.

Nobody should have their kids in the emergency room for the flu when a doctors office is open somewhere.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

That's the problem! Even though education isn't a right, it is treated as though it was. So healthcare next?

Hell, I have a great healthcare plan for my job, better than a "teacher", "plumber" or whomever you choose.

Why, all of a sudden, are they (the people that don't have healthcare plans) too stupid to take care of themselves? Why do we need Big Brother to take care of us?

There have been plenty of times in my life where I didn't have health insurance. What did I do? Stayed healthy, and when I couldn't, I paid.

I have no sympathy for those that say that they can't get care.

There is a law that states that no hospital can turn ANYONE away for any reason.

Everyone in this country has healthcare coverage now. It's just a shell-game that Obama and the libs are using to gain more control over the economy.

-rant over now-

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

According to your logic, I should stop paying my property taxes as I have no school age children, so why should I pay for your kids education?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Great point. You should not have to pay for anybody elses kids education.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by UFOTECH

According to your logic, I should stop paying my property taxes as I have no school age children, so why should I pay for your kids education?

Property taxes also pay for fire and ambulance services. Don't pay, but don't complain when your house burns down either.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

And yet every year the tax bill comes in and if it's not paid, the state gets the house.

We need to decide what we want as a society. Those things that will nuture and grow our society for future generations, or profit and greed.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Where I live, most of the money goes to schools, and I don't mind paying it. I was trying to make a point about the logic.

link   
I certainly do not believe that access to health care should ever be limited by one's ability to pay, especially if that limited care would mean risk of death from a treatable condition. But honestly with more and more people becoming dependant on this government for everything, I'm not sure anything can stop some form of national health care. Is it a human right?

I suppose that depends on the context, and in these times that context for health care is a political issue more than an human rights issue.

link   

reply to post by grapesofraft

We need to decide what we want as a society. Those things that will nuture and grow our society for future generations, or profit and greed.

I do agree. Although if you're looking for profit and greed you won't have to look any further than D.C.. And I refer to ALL of them there.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I wholeheartedly agree! Change does not start in DC, it starts with us. Remember, the first three words of the Constitution are "We The People"!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Yeah it is absolutely ridiculous. You cant even really own property in this country because they tax you every year for property taxes. What a crock. I say lets get rid of all the taxes. There can be some private school providers, some private fire depts and ambulance, etc.. and you chooose who you want. Maybe they add in a little and decide to give free services to the people that are REALLY in need.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Where I live, most of the money goes to schools, and I don't mind paying it. I was trying to make a point about the logic.

It doesn't matter anyway. Obamas' healthcare plan will pass, and everyone over the age of 55 is basically screwed. There will be rationing, a decline in quality of healthcare, long lines, long waiting periods.

I'm in my 40's now. I might as well drink, smoke, eat red meat, and have a good ol' time because I won't have access to care when I need it.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The costs associated with healthcare are bloated from greed, not misuse.
Treatment has become a code word for "get as much as we can out of them" and if you have insurance they'll really sock it to you.

What right in the world could ever be more important than the right to life itself?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join