It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defeated Ahmadinejad rival arrested in Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Defeated Ahmadinejad rival arrested in Iran

www.haaretz.com

Iranian presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi was reportedly arrested Saturday following the reformist's defeat at the polls by hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Supporters of Mousavi, the main challenger to Ahmadinejad, have responded to the election with the most serious unrest in Tehran in a decade and claim that the result was the work of a dictatorship.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This election was between an islamic fundamentalist dictatorship and the youth of Iran , who are mostly well educated and tired of living under the extremist islamic rules imposed since the fall of the Shaw. The arrest of Moussavi ; only adds fuel to the obvious manipulation of the elections , and will send Iran into a civil unrest that it hasn't seen since the fall of the Shaw.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Haaretz is now reporting that Mousavi has been arrested. Yesterday's report turned out to be false, but maybe this one is accurate. Who knows? We're in the fog of "war" here.

This from www.michaeltotten.com...

I have no idea.

They're indeed in the fog of 'war' at this moment, as much as I respect Ahmadinejad, he is still a puppet, as Mousavi would have been had he won.

People voted for Obama because you-know-what. Look at what happened.

I fear outside MSM is trying to make the situation seem worse in Iran, perhaps to advance their own agenda.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Not a whole lot of video or pictures and I thought it was cute that the article quoted a photographer describing the scene but not actually having a picture of the scene he was quoted as describing.

The source for the whole story is anonymous and attributed to no one, and is just a single unamed source at that.

I will be interested in the days ahead to see just what has really transpired...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
There is far more to the story than meets the eye, so do not be fooled with what your showing or will be seeing in the coming days on web sites which will show how EVIL and DANGEROUS this country is.

If you are going to link online content then at least provide a timeline of events so the readers/viewers can construct their own opinion and not be manipulate as they have been over and over. The covert war against Iran has begun from the storming of the Embassy in 1979. Although i am very interested to see what the posters opinions will be based on. We are aware of how easy it is to manipulate the majority but for the sake of rational and biased thinkers please provide a two sided story to the events leading up to this.
--

Hanging of 'CIA spy' dents Iran's overtures to US

Two weeks before an election that will determine Iran's international image, President Mohammad Khatami's hope of using a probable second term to mend relations with the US have been dashed by the hanging in Tehran of a "CIA agent''.

Mohammed-Reza Pedram, a former air force officer arrested in 1996, was hanged on Sunday after the Supreme Court upheld his death sentence. State television announced the hanging on Tuesday night.

According to the court, after passing secrets to CIA agents in the Eighties, Mr Pedram was granted asylum in the US, from where he later returned to Iran "on a false passport, to carry out his espionage activities''. The court said Mr Pedram had made a "full confession''.

edit: Link

[edit on 14-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
The arrest of Moussavi ; only adds fuel to the obvious manipulation of the elections...

This is the 3rd time I'm repeating this. Is there any actual proof of this 'manipulation'. I for one haven't seen any. Just even a tiny bit of actual evidence would be nice before you go around claiming faul play.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

People voted for Obama because you-know-what. Look at what happened
reply to post by star in a jar

What are you implicating here? I have one reason I voted for Obama, and I have a feeling it will not be whatever you say is the reason, but go ahead, enlighten us all.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Not a whole lot of video or pictures and I thought it was cute that the article quoted a photographer describing the scene but not actually having a picture of the scene he was quoted as describing.

The source for the whole story is anonymous and attributed to no one, and is just a single unamed source at that.

I will be interested in the days ahead to see just what has really transpired...

Actually there is some video coming out...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
The arrest of Moussavi ; only adds fuel to the obvious manipulation of the elections...

This is the 3rd time I'm repeating this. Is there any actual proof of this 'manipulation'. I for one haven't seen any. Just even a tiny bit of actual evidence would be nice before you go around claiming faul play.

Personally, the throngs of people who are protesting indicates to me that there was not a "landslide" as reported.

It seems valid enough of a concern to have a good old fashioned recount...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

The funny thing, is that I would have voted for Obama!
I actually believed that charming devil.

But! But then I learned the harsh truth:

US presidents have to be puppets, working for a higher master, the money masters, otherwise they would have been removed from the game long ago.

Was there a single promise worth a damn that Obama kept?

I'm against Obama? Yes, now that my heart was broken.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
As i posted elsewhere, with a population of 65 million plus, several thousands do not represent a majority. Lets not forget that all resources are being activated to incite violence on all fronts. But this could also be what has been planed to destabilize the nation for an assault which has been planned.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Who cares who wins this election.......

As long as this clown remains in the same place it just one big puppet show..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/33cda2fd90d6151f.jpg[/atsimg]

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

He's making up the rules as he goes so whats the use for a fake democracy??

Peace

[edit on 14/6/2009 by operation mindcrime]

[edit on 14/6/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
just for the record, this is what 500,000 to 1,000,000 people looks like in terms of mass

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/1ae01266095671fd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Sky News is reporting that he's at home - is he under house arrest?

They say his website is difficult to access but hasn't changed, yet - still says the election was rigged.

Also reporting that they expect more protests today but the amount of people protesting aren't enough to have reached a critical mass.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

There doesn't seem to be anything violent happening in those videos and there appears to be no government interference or even monitoring of what looks like a large but very peaceful demonstration.

From what I could see it looks like 2,000 people per block, if we could find out the how many blocks long the procession was, we could have a fairly accurate idea of how many people might be taking part in these demonstrations.

Iran's students and youth took to the streets in the 1999 election as well, and of course were instrumental in the overthrow of the Shah's regime in 1978.

The Iranian Revolution seems to have spawned a culture of accepting youth oriented demonstrations regarding politics.

Politics is by the way a dirty business all over the world and simply because a defeated or victorious candidate claims something and or mobilizes their supporters to take to the street does not in and of itself make their contentions true.

I have seen one Israeli press article today stating that 57 million ballots were simply not counted in a county that doesn't have 57 million voters!

Irna is up and running and is reporting no such things nor are any of the other major Iranian Newspapers and having just completed a telephone call from Miami to Irna's offices in Tehran that went through I would have to say the phone lines appear to be working.

I have to say this just seems like a lot of propoganda to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Indeed im in my own irc channel and i have roughly 140 users online several are engaged in a heated debate to one another about the elections, but the majority are chatting up some supposedly girls from Egypt. (lol).

Also just to brighten everything up, there are 8 users who are asking the irc bot random questions and there mostly typing lol to the ai bot's answers.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Al Jazeera is reporting that there have been arrests, but not of the candidate:

Reformist leaders who supported defeated Iranian presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi have been detained following violent protests over the results of Friday's presidential election.

As to why they were arrested:

Al Jazeera's Alireza Ronaghi, reporting from Tehran, said that the official IRNA news agency was reporting that a committee led by two senior supporters of Mousavi was organising the riots.

"Whether this is really an honest outburst of anger against the outcome of the election we don't know yet, but what we see is a major crackdown on reformists and their leaders," he said.

english.aljazeera.net...

If they're responsible for organizing riots, arresting them seems a reasonable course of action to get them to stop.

There's also an interesting comment in there about the vote results - seems like they're suggesting that it might be legit. Iran seems to have it's own deep party divides (red state vs. blue state anyone?)

But Mehran Kamrava, director of the centre for international and regional studies at Georgetown University's campus in Qatar, cautioned that the displays of support for Mousavi were not necessarily an indication of fraud.

"The Western media has been talking to people in north Tehran, who tend to vote overwhelmingly against Ahmadinejad," he told Al Jazeera.

"But let's not forget that many of the urban Iranians have priorities and proclivities that are not necessarily reflected in other areas of the main cities, and those people could easily have voted for Ahmadinejad.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Surprise surprise not. What with them both claiming victory as well.
One or the other had to go, it makes sense that Ahmadinejad the current leader would come out on top since he already has a command structure with police and military in place.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I hope they are willing to spill and shed blood. Looks like they want their liberty tree back. Might need some refreshing.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Here is a question. What are the gun laws like in Iran? I cannot find anything out about it online. Anyone know?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Ill help you out here, since that nation has been in constant wars almost all houses or those who were active in the early 80's have in their possession an AK or other small arms. Similar as to the citizens in Crete, were you can find any semi and full auto right up to a 50 caliber in homes.

edit: To have in your possession a weapon of your choice is no big deal, its when you use it you need to make sure you are within the guidelines put forward by religion and law or you will find yourself in the city center square hanging by a rope.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by tristar]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join