It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Imposes Tough Sanctions On N Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

UN Imposes Tough Sanctions On N Korea

news .sky.com

The United Nations Security Council has approved tough new sanctions against North Korea over its recent nuclear test.

The resolution imposes new restrictions on the country's weapons exports and financial dealings, and allows inspections of suspect cargo in ports and on the high seas but does not authorise the use of force.

All 15 members endorsed a resolution sponsored by Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is breaking news with more to follow.

I wonder how Kim will react to this? The days around the next planned tests will be nervous ones.

No authorized use of force though? They are going to drag this out until N.K does some serious damage with a "test" if you ask me. Lets hope that it doesn't come to that, but i can't see these sanctions making things any easier for either parties.

Can you honestly see N.K putting up with just one inspection of cargo in either the ports of on the seas?

CX.

news .sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/6/09 by CX]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see what happens the first time the US, or UN, or Japan, or SK stops a NK ship to board and inspect!

We may be looking at fireworks.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

Didn't even think of that!

I really didn't think they'd actually go through with this, maybe their just saying they will and really won't. Either way Kim is gonna be livid.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Their not authorized to use force, therefor NK ships can just keep sailing to port and not stop. So what good does this do?

If they do have nuclear weapon grade plutonium they obviously brought it in through other channels and sanctions won't do a bit of good if you can not force ably stop a ship lets say and inspect it.

I'm sure Kim is laughing at the stupidity of this.

Would a drug smuggler pull over for the coast guard if they were not allowed to force ably stop them?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I think that is the flash point that we need to look for. The whole purpose of inspecting the ship IMO is to make sure no nukes are headed to Syria, Taliban, Al-Qaeda, IE for sale to the highest bidder.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
All 15 members endorsed a resolution sponsored by Britain, France, Japan, South Korea and the United States.

That includes China and Russia aswell. If Lil Kim was mentaly unstable( as reports have claimed), he will be even more now. I just hope he won't do anything foolish.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Wow, this one went straight through then? No vetoing or drawn out infighting?

Kimmy is defiantly not going to be happy having people trying to search his shipping, no siriee!

I would not want to be in Seoul right now, I got a feeling that whatever happens Kimmys knee jerk reaction will be to pummel Seoul - probably with conventional weapons but it will be with very little warning I bet.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I saw this article on the BBC and the first thing I thought was "Great, the people of N.Korea can starve a little more".

Didn't the U.N. learn it's lesson with Saddam? You can sanction these countries all you want, the leaders don't care. They will still live in luxery. They will still have whatever they want.

It is the citizens who pay for these sanctions, and all it does is create poverty, death, and, ultimately, more hatred toward the western world.

Course, TPTB couldn't care less about the actual citizens of the countries, so I guess that answers it. The ILLUSION of action against the dictator.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Wow, this one went straight through then? No vetoing or drawn out infighting?

Kimmy is defiantly not going to be happy having people trying to search his shipping, no siriee!

I would not want to be in Seoul right now, I got a feeling that whatever happens Kimmys knee jerk reaction will be to pummel Seoul - probably with conventional weapons but it will be with very little warning I bet.

I agree, would not want to be in Seoul right now.

I hope the US troops in the region are on their toes. This sh** could go down any minute.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
It will be interesting to see what happens the first time the US, or UN, or Japan, or SK stops a NK ship to board and inspect!

We may be looking at fireworks.

Literally... Fireworks.

N. Korea firing anything else would 100% literally be suicide.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

You think?

I hope, but I am afraid they could launch a 15-30 minute bombardment on Seoul with artillery and then negotiate a cease fire with the threat of using their nukes on Tokyo.

What could be done to stop that?

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Ace High]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

Literally... Fireworks.

I don't understand your logic???

NK fired off 2 nukes and a long range missile and nothing happened??

Explain what you mean.

Yes, I just joined to say this.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer420

I'm more or less implying that if N. Korea takes good on their promise of "Nuclear War" it's suicide.

"Seeing fireworks" should be the most retaliation they offer to the imposed sanctions....

It'll only take one nuclear launch to make "The day after" seem all the more real.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer420

Thoes nukes were underground and the missiles either failed
or were not aimed at anything in particular.

The story would have quite a different ending if anything was fired 'in anger' at any one.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamer420

Originally posted by Fremd

Literally... Fireworks.

I don't understand your logic???

NK fired off 2 nukes and a long range missile and nothing happened??

Explain what you mean.

Yes, I just joined to say this.

Not to answer for the OP nor add words for them but those were test. Any offensive acts would meet dire results.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Would it? If NK sent a short burst of artillery into Seoul while quickly negotiating a cease fire with the threat of the nuclear bombing of Tokyo, do you think they could get away with it?

I think they would have the world in a tight spot.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Now_Then

Would it? If NK sent a short burst of artillery into Seoul while quickly negotiating a cease fire with the threat of the nuclear bombing of Tokyo, do you think they could get away with it?

I think they would have the world in a tight spot.

They could offer a cease fire but doesn't mean it would be accepted. I think there are ample interceptors between them and Japan that could prevent them from launching at Japan. It would be lights out for them if they chose that course, I'm afraid!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Good point. The US/Japan might be willing to roll the dice and bet on the interceptors and take NK out for good.

If the interceptors pick up the nukes before impact, they will look like the smartest men in the room.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Bearack

Good point. The US/Japan might be willing to roll the dice and bet on the interceptors and take NK out for good.

If the interceptors pick up the nukes before impact, they will look like the smartest men in the room.

Either the smartest men or the men who started WWIII.

Honestly, I'm sure both the US and Japan have already played this out in multiple exercises.

I say if they happen to launch and we are able to prevent the strike, let loose the Japs. That would be a very, VERY bad day for Kim n crew!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join