It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbors are forcing neighbors into foreclosure

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I would never bad mouth anyone that would rather live in a HOA, as I would hope no one would bad mouth me for never wanting to live in one. Different strokes for different folks, and besides if they live in an HOA I don't have them living next door to me complaining that my grass needs mowing - Which it never does because the goats keep it eaten down anyway

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I agree 100%. There is no excuse for giving them the power to foreclose on houses. It is not in thier right as far as I am concerned. Put a lean on a house yes maybe, but kick people to the streets NO WAY, NO HOW.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I live in a neighborhood with a homeowner's association: however, it's a rural two-mile loop on a dirt road and the association does more things like making sure the potholes don't get too big and trimming the foliage from the road and the streams don't overflow on to it. It's always been a very civil collection of neighbors looking out for each other, I think the only time they've told someone how their yard had to look was when a person who had just moved in started using his as a garbage dump and things like used diapers and torn-out insulation started piling into the road. These people aren't part of homeowner's associations, they're part of a collection of assholes who want everyone to pay so the property value on their already worthless condos and gated communities don't go down.

I can't believe that people who call themselves "neighbors" would be so disgustingly inhuman towards each other.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I've had one experience with a homeowner's association that just put a bad taste in my mouth. It charged steep fee's, enforced a slew of rules (no basketball on the driveway, no gardens, etc.) yet provided minimal service and was constantly behind schedule. I'm sure there's decent HOA's out there, but my experience thus far has been negative.

The last place I lived in before leaving my family was a place in a nice neighborhood that managed to stay good looking without a HOA. Everyone kept their property clean, kept the grass mowed, and by staying active in the community we managed to keep the roads and nearest park in excellent condition. And the best part was that you could trust your neighbors with an extra set of keys to your house rather than worry about the HOA trying to foreclose on your property.

So personally I don't find them to be necessary, and would much rather do without the extra hassle.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Those homeowners associations are nothing but a scam, my brother's one got their fee hike 5 thousand dollars last year and I have been to his condo and to tell you the truth I don't see anything out of the ordinary, actually the place looks rather lacking.

The entire complex had a law sue against them but I have not clue what happen with it.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So in some of these HOA's they can initiate rate hikes on a whim? That is not cool. Who stands to profit from these arrangements the most?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Why anyone would agree to pay dues and allow their busy body neighbors to dictate what they can or can't do on your own property is beyond me. These associations were designed for people who feel the need to control the lives of everyone around them, how could anyone enjoy living in one of these? How about you just talk to your neighbor like a human being instead of trying to dictate how they live through one of these associations, doesn't society have enough rules already?

[edit on 12-6-2009 by miraclerock]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'm undecided about this subject, as I live in a condo unit with an HOA. I've had pretty good experiences for the most part, although what pisses me off is the fact that they increased the rate in January, fair enough, but now they sent a notice that they intend to increase it again, as there are so many people in the buildings that are past due on their dues, that they need to increase the dues. So, I pay my dues on time every month, and i'm getting penalised! How fair is that??

A friend of mine is a reluctant board member on a HOA, and I asked her if they could do that, and she said 'unfortunately yes, they class it as a 'special assessment'.

Believe me, as soon as I can get my place sold (it's on the market) i'm done with HOA. I'll go back to renting before settling for a place that has a HOA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join