It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Good luck seagul

Here is your Qualifyer standings to keep an eye...though lets face it america does better at the olympics, its nice you guys leave the rest of the world football to enjoy!

www.fifa.com...

[edit on 12-8-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Good result for you Ozzies last night.
3-0 victory away against ROI.
You do seem to be improving.

A good fight back against Holland by England.
Prior to Cappello that was just the sort of game we would have buckled and been trounced.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I was against the appointment of Capello but I must say he is doing a fantastic job with the England national team.

Capello is one of the best coaches presently, all you have to do with him is to be patient, and both results and good play will come. He models the team in some way that every single player can express his best, and it is more or less what England national team needed, because of course you never lacked good/excellent players. Capello refuses the idea of having some leader in the team, this initially is difficult to accept, but the final result is some extremely balanced team, in which everyone contributes 101%. I think that England improved and will improve even more, until it will become one of the best five teams in the world, and i'm NOT joking.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
A good fight back against Holland by England.
Prior to Cappello that was just the sort of game we would have buckled and been trounced.

A good fight indeed. Respect for the English lads as well as for the great supporters.
The commemoration to Sir Bobby Robson was pretty impressive. Dutch people are normally silent during such occurrences, but the English crowd started applauding him, making the Dutchmen follow their example.

It was very obvious that the players of both teams hadn't played for some time. Frankly speaking, I found the English somewhat stronger at certain times. We really missed Van Bommel from Bayern who normally forms a robust duo with De Jong from Man City. His replacement, Schaars, is a huge talent, but it was obvious that he isn't used to this level. One major problem for us is our defense. We've always had the world's best offensive players such as Cruijff, Van Basten and so on, but we lack the physically strong defenders like England has. Heitinga showed a poor performance and Ooijer is too old to be central defender. We have our hopes on Maduro, who has had a difficult time at Valencia, but has been playing very well at his team for some time now as central defender. He might replace Ooijer.

Anyhow, they should have planned this friendly in November so it would be a real good test.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You can click your local time zone on this link to see when your qualifying match is on

www.fifa.com...

Congrats to the Netherlands on getting through.
Goed gedaan Holland !

[edit on 24-8-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Did Lichtenstein make it?

I sure hope they did

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I would love to see Australia go as far as they did last time or even further, but i dont think its possible this time round. Im just not convinced in our squad, Pim's system obviously does not work for MacDonald who should be scoring every second match, he is the most prolific scorer we have but cant get the goals nationally. Thats probably my biggest beef.
I dont think we will be as lucky with our draw either and may not get out of the group stage, would love to be drawn with England though and give them a spanking.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

would love to be drawn with England though and give them a spanking.

Is someone cranky at the ashes loss this week?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I cant wait! My team Mexico is on the fence, if they dont make it, im going to go FN nuts!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have always been surprised that England having the best Club level league has never won a world cup. At the level that most of its players play, they should have atleast won one by now.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by duble0peter

We have.

But yes, we should have won more, and probably would have done if Diego Maradonna had not cheated us out of Mexico 86 or our own inability to take penalties!

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

lol, not really Australian cricket got boring when Boony left. I just think it would be great to have both teams meet at WC.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by duble0peter
I have always been surprised that England having the best Club level league has never won a world cup. At the level that most of its players play, they should have atleast won one by now.

One of the main problems that England have just now, IS the strength of their league. All of the top teams there can attract big money signings from around the globe, so less and less young English talent is being given a chance. Look at Arsenal recently in Champions league Qualifiers, fielding only 1 or 2 Englishmen. Chelsea? Liverpool? Man.U? All have a majority of foreign stars in the 1st team.

Scotland just beat Macedonia 2-0 to keep their slim hopes of qualifying for the World Cup alive. And we're relying on guys from the English championship, never mind premier!
All we have to do now is beat Holland in our final game on Wednesday!!!, and hope that results go our way in the other groups, to allow us to get a play-off spot.
We actually played much much better in the previous Euro 2008 qualifiers, but in the end, just got pipped by Italy and France (The world cup finalists from two years before). ahhhh memories!
G

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
E-N-G-E-R-L-U-N-D PLAYS CRAOTIA

Thursday am for aussies, your Weds...I hope I can gloat, but I fear I will have to be a humble Zazzy Frazzy

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Croatia beat Belarus yesterday, so I nned Engerland to beat Ukraine, or Ukraine to go down in their next round so we stay top 2 with Engurlund.
Eeeeeeeeeeeee
Zazzy

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Brazil have now gone through...no shock there.
Argentina need to win their next 3 games...poor fat Diego, not even the hand of god will help him this time.....

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by duble0peter

It's not that surprising though. The Premier League attracts the world's best players as the clubs offer the highest salaries. Generally speaking, youth academies are filled with foreign youngsters rather than British talents.

Top 20 according to the FIFA ranking:

1 Brazil
2 Spain
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
4 Germany
6 Russia
7 England
8 Argentina
9 Croatia
10 France
11 USA
12 Greece
13 Serbia
14 Australia
15 Switzerland
16 Denmark
17 Portugal
18 Czech Republic
19 Bulgaria
20 Côte d'Ivoire

With Brazil, Spain and Germany my favorites for winning the title. Consider Holland to have little chance as we always play the most beautiful football of all, but always loose in the (semi)finals.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Manchester United Goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar Considers International Comeback
It's not that easy to give up the buzz of international football, apparently...

Manchester United's Dutch goalkeeper, Edwin van der Sar, is contemplating a return to international football according to the latest reports.

Van der Sar retired from the international scene in October 2008, after winning a record 130 caps for the Netherlands. He is currently out of action recovering from injury, but he has admitted that he could be tempted into representing his country once again.

That would be truly amazing as Van der Sar cannot be replaced easily. The keepers we currently have are nowhere close to the level of Van der Sar. The fact that he's beaten Petr Cech and Valdes.

Van the man has also indicated a come-back as pinch-hitter.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
SIGH~
Congrats Engerlund on flogging Croatia...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I am from England but i remember when Australia were knocked out of the 2006 World Cup by Italy. I was so angry. Disgraceful actions from the Italians.

Anyway hopefully England will do good in 2010. We have just as good a chance as winning as any other team do really. Only problem is we lack a truely world class keeper.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join