It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Study Acknowledges Solar Cycle, Not Man, Responsible for Past Warming

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

www.dailytech.com

Now, a new research report from a surprising source may help to lay this skepticism to rest. A study from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland looking at climate data over the past century has concluded that solar variation has made a significant impact on the Earth's climate. The report concludes that evidence for climate changes based on solar radiation can be traced back as far as the Industrial Revolution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This has been all over the news today, I can't believe it! Al Gore decided to give the money he made to charity, citing that it wasn't made from a legitimate cause...wait a minute

Oh, that actually isn't the case, but hey; all is fair in love and Gore? Well, at least we don't have to worry about cap and trade?...oh..shi...

www.dailytech.com

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well at least it is a start. Bad thing is people will dismiss this and say it isn't true.

People are too brainwashed to accept anything else. Then you will hear the usual excuses, the scientist aren't credible and blah blah blah. At least it is a start. Looks like there is a shift going on people are waking up to the atrocity that got elected and is running our government.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Hmmm, what's Al Gore have to say about THIS report?

Now, a new research report from a surprising source may help to lay this skepticism to rest. A study from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland looking at climate data over the past century has concluded that solar variation has made a significant impact on the Earth's climate. The report concludes that evidence for climate changes based on solar radiation can be traced back as far as the Industrial Revolution.
******SKIP******
While the NASA study acknowledged the sun's influence on warming and cooling patterns, it then went badly off the tracks. Ignoring its own evidence, it returned to an argument that man had replaced the sun as the cause current warming patterns. Like many studies, this conclusion was based less on hard data and more on questionable correlations and inaccurate modeling techniques.

I hope Al Gore goes bankrupt!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

This has been all over the news today, I can't believe it! Al Gore decided to give the money he made to charity, citing that it wasn't made from a legitimate cause...wait a minute

Oh, that actually isn't the case, but hey; all is fair in love and Gore? Well, at least we don't have to worry about cap and trade?...oh..shi...

www.dailytech.com

This!!

What the hell have we done? We basically sold our souls to saving the polar bears and now there are huge changes around the corner that have been legislated in. Do all the laws that are about to take effect to save the environment suddenly get nullified? This is very scary stuff and I would expect this to explode and be a conspiracy rivaling 9/11 in magnitude with tons of whistle blowers and people coming out of the closet.

In the meantime, lets all rape the planet since the crisis is over. We no longer have to care about the welfare of the planet.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
It's ludicrous to think the sun doesn't play a part in climate.... ummm hellooooo! However, it's also silly to believe it's out of the question that we aren't exasperating the problem with greenhouse gases and general pollution. The roots of climate change are multi-faceted. We still need to change our habits and work towards a sustainable future.

IRM

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Setting Gore aside for a moment.

Whats the difference whether it is a man made issue or nature? The facts are the planet is heating up. The ice caps are getting smaller the ocean levels will rise. It has happened in the past and is happening again.

So....

What are we going to do? Wait until we have another New Orleans but this time across the entire gulf state region?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't think there is much we can do at all, especially if it is a natural cycle!

Maybe just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I've always said that Global Warming wasn't entirely man made. I do believe our pollution will increase the amplitude of this current natural cycle. However, we are also approaching 2012 and the alignment of the Earth with the Galactic Center.

On topic, it doesn't really change anything except that some people can make themselves feel better and say "I told you so!" It doesn't change the fact that we can't afford to keep trashing our planet like this. Mother Nature will kick our butts. Ask residents of New Orleans about that one.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This was an interesting point in the article:

Thomas Woods, solar scientist at the University of Colorado in Boulder concludes, "The fluctuations in the solar cycle impacts Earth's global temperature by about 0.1 degree Celsius, slightly hotter during solar maximum and cooler during solar minimum. The sun is currently at its minimum, and the next solar maximum is expected in 2012."

In the last 40 years the temperature changes have been up to 0.6 degrees and are currently running at about 0.5 degrees higher than average. If the solar variations account for 0.1 degrees of that as this study suggests then you could logically conclude that the excess warming over and above that could be man-made.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It's ludicrous to think the sun doesn't play a part in climate.... ummm hellooooo! However, it's also silly to believe it's out of the question that we aren't exasperating the problem with greenhouse gases and general pollution. The roots of climate change are multi-faceted. We still need to change our habits and work towards a sustainable future.

IRM

That maybe so, but cap and trade and other climate legislation are not the solution.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Man occupies such a small niche on the planet that I find it arrogant that we can have that much of an impact. That being said, any changes that are taking place are also beyond our small, meager ability to enact any changes.

If Gore wants to really impress me, have the global data over, oh, the past 300 million years. Then I can start believing ANY data they throw out.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
This was an interesting point in the article:

Thomas Woods, solar scientist at the University of Colorado in Boulder concludes, "The fluctuations in the solar cycle impacts Earth's global temperature by about 0.1 degree Celsius, slightly hotter during solar maximum and cooler during solar minimum. The sun is currently at its minimum, and the next solar maximum is expected in 2012."

In the last 40 years the temperature changes have been up to 0.6 degrees and are currently running at about 0.5 degrees higher than average. If the solar variations account for 0.1 degrees of that as this study suggests then you could logically conclude that the excess warming over and above that could be man-made.

It's mostly about cosmic rays that ionize the ionisphere causing the Sun to have more or less effect. Just a fact of science not conjecture or a well jacked up speadsheet formulation. I can make an excel spreadsheet tell me door knobs turn by themselves when there's a car that backfires in Australia during the last full moon.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wait...the sun has a significant impact on the earth?

I was practically laughed out of college when I presented studies similar to this in a Poli-Sci paper. I was accused of trying to present information to further an agenda. What a warped, warped world.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You cannot stop it,

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

exactly... we have to think not only about climate change but also the poisons in our food, water, soils, air. without the sun, to state the obvious, we have no heat, so naturally the sun is a factor. that doesn't change the fact that we exposed to more solar radiation due to the holes in the ozone layer

Ozone absorbs the major portion of solar radiation, protecting the surface of the Earth from pathogenic doses of ultraviolet rays. Intensification of ultraviolet radiation potentially results in irreversible changes in the flora and fauna, in extinction of plankton, in reduction of cropper fertility, in accelerated exhaustion of composite and polymeric construction materials, as well as in proliferation of such malignant human diseases as immune insufficiency and skin cancer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.rpmonitor.ru...

or has this been debunked?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Skeptic Line 1 : global warming is a myth
(a few years with masses of evidence proving this false leads to )
Skeptic Line 2 : Man cannot be responsible
(a few years with masses of evidence proving this false leads to )
Skeptic Line 3 : The sun is the main cause look at the solar system!
(a few years with masses of evidence proving this misleading leads to )
Skeptic Line 4 : We can't change it anyway

Well hurray, let's pat ourselves on the back for screwing things up in the first place. Give ourselves a huge round of applause for fuelling so much doubt that those in a positions to effect change dither so that now we we can't do anything.

Our children and grandchildren will DAMN YOU. Look them in the eye and justify your inaction due to your own selfish needs........

Denying man made global warming is pure unadulterated selfish armchair ignorance.

Responsible Line 5 : We've screwed up let us at least TRY and effect change for the sake of our children.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by malcr]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nice post!
It is great to find a major source of news setting the record straight.

I believe in being kind to your environment, but the blind environmentalist NWO capitalist fruits and nuts will probability ignore this because it will mes up there agenda.
It will be interesting to see what kind of propaganda they will use to counter this news if any at all.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This has happened in the past and will happen again with our without our SUVs and cow farts. Global warming goes in cycles. NO it doesn't help with us putting so much crap into the air but weve put out a lot more in the past. And let's not forget. One or two good volcanic eruptions can equal all the crap weve put in the air for the last two hundred years. Some ice core samples have shown almost 5 times the levels of crap in the air thousands of years ago, than that which we have today.
So the bottom line is we would be having this same type of global warming even if there were no cars and everyone was a vegetarian. And what about Mars and the other planets. They seem to be going through some kind of heating cycle as well.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.livescience.com...

Not that it proves anything but just saying

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that there is a point that the life kept inside said tank will crap enough, that the place gets polluted and you have to change the water. We can't do that with the earth and you cannot tell me we have not crapped on this planet to a point of polluting almost every part of our environment. When you put crap and poisons in your sealed environment, it effects life, remember acid rain and the lakes and rivers it killed? The warming is just one aspect of the polluting of our planet, heard about the plastic in the oceans, we're eating it in our fish. So arguing that the pollution in the air isn't a problem by only focusing on the warning effects on the planet, that does not cover all the problems air pollutants create, things we haven't even detected yet. We got drugs in our water and they are telling us that is nothing to worry about. Who is telling us this, who is behind the effort to disclaim the negative effects every time a problem is spotted? One of the largest growing businesses these days is braces for kids, why? It is harder for kids to breath these days and when it is, babies and kids tend to push their tongue towards their upper teeth and over time it pushes them forward and out. So when they get older mom and dad have to fork out for braces. So, if you have kids, you are going to pay several thousand dollars out of your pocket to cover the effects of air pollutants in our environment. Wake up!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join