It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider to start again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Large Hadron Collider to start again

www.telegraph.co.uk

Large Hadron Collider to start again, but costs rise in race to discover 'God Particle'

The Large Hadron Collider is to be run flat out throughout the year in order to make up for lost time and to beat an American rival to finding the elusive Higgs Boson – known as the "God Particle".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The £4bn particle accelerator, which broke down last year, was to be turned off in winter to reduce energy demands during peak electricity prices.

But the delays and the news that a smaller less powerful accelerator at Fermilab in Illinois is closing in on the particle has meant it will continue running throughout the year – at an extra cost of £13 million.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So they're firing that baby back up and running it year round. Hopefully it will last a bit longer before breaking this time........!

What I don't get is why have we got two of these astronomical machines in different parts of the globe, trying to achieve the same thing? Surely a joint effort would have been more financially viable and on top of that, safer?

EDIT FOR TYPOS ONLY.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/6/2009 by 0010110011101]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Okay 'CERN' is about to be fired up again as the one in Ill.. So let's keep our attention on those two.

My question is 'What about the one in Texas? 'Supposedly' it was shut down due to cost but this one is larger than CERN. The tunnel was dug so what is this giant 'gopher hole' use for now?

I can't remember the exact site in Texas or the name of the project. Can someone enlighten me?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

It will be interesting to see what happens in and around the Hadron Collider.

It will also be interesting to see if Time Travel Technology comes about as predicted at Cern.

Visit the ATS thread below for more info:

John Titor Was Right: CERN to begin producing Black Holes

[edit on 5-6-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I cant believe that we let this opportunity slip out of our hands. What if they actually do something really remarkable? France is going to get all the glory and possibly lead the world in alternative energy, fuel, etc... for Earth and space.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well Fermilabs Tevatron collider in Batavia Illinois may very well win the race to unlock Higgs, it has been operational the whole time LHC has been busted. But when its fired up the race will be on.

Director Pier Oddone presented the Tevatron's latest data at the AAAS meeting. "We now have a very, very good chance that we will see hints of the Higgs before the LHC will," said his Fermilab colleague, Dr Dmitri Denisov.
"I think we have the next two years to find it, based on the start date Lyn Evans has told us.
"And by that time we expect to say something very strong.
"The probability of our discovering the Higgs is very good - 90% if it is in the high mass range.
"And the chances are even higher - 96% - if its mass is around 170GeV (giga-electron volts).
"In that case we would be talking about seeing hints of the Higgs by this summer."

news.bbc.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5-6-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the links pazcat!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm so thrilled about this! I'll be trying to keep up with it also.
Thanks for posting this. S&F for you.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'm going to laugh my ass off when this Hadron collider creates a micro black hole which sucks the collider and the physicists into another dimension.

Or, create a tear in the local space/time and a mass of dimensional energy pours through the tear, cremating the whole thing.

Our physicists won't be happy until we are undone by our curiosity.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
True story: when the LHC first went online few geek friends of mine actually had the brilliant idea of buying a crowbar for a weapon. Just in case some face hugging alien parasites come from another dimension.
For non-gamers: that's the plot from half-life

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They won't find the higgs because it doesn't exist nor will they create mini-blackholes. Hopefully they get results that will finally lead them away from the science that requires a higgs and graviton.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

They ever get a strong field compression of the electron of a hydrogen atom reducing it's orbit, and they just may have a micro black hole.

But if not, we still can hope for a space/time tear to discourage their continuing folly.

Idiots.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

My question is 'What about the one in Texas? 'Supposedly' it was shut down due to cost but this one is larger than CERN. The tunnel was dug so what is this giant 'gopher hole' use for now?

I can't remember the exact site in Texas or the name of the project. Can someone enlighten me?

Are you talking about the Cyclotron at Texas A&M? It is not bigger than CERN however.

cyclotron.tamu.edu...

Reply to OP:

Delays in typing due to time dilation from the micro black holes at CERN prevented me from finding this thread earlier...LOL

Seriously though, it is great CERN is getting back online and I can not wait for some of the discoveries. (No I do NOT think CERN is going to create a black hole that destroys Earth)

[edit on 6/5/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I have a view of physics in which space time cannot be torn because its a made up dimension. Our "Time" is dependent upon light and light isn't exactly tearable. I'd also like to believe that you would need more than a high energy head-to-head impact to make a blackhole. Now if they were impacting multiple particles, etc. in a spherical fashion into one focus point, then I'd have my concerns. Of course, taking the collisions into a 3d course would require a structure of ridiculous size and unfeasible cost.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Well it is postulated that it would require directed energy on a point in spacetime equivalent to the Planck Energy to 'rip' spacetime. Black holes are really not 'tears' in spacetime, they are regions of small volume with near infinite density. In essence a black hole is simply the result of an infinite curve of spacetime according to modern physics. Now this is not a tear, simply an infinite curve.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Well it is postulated that it would require directed energy on a point in spacetime equivalent to the Planck Energy to 'rip' spacetime. Black holes are really not 'tears' in spacetime, they are regions of small volume with near infinite density. In essence a black hole is simply the result of an infinite curve of spacetime according to modern physics. Now this is not a tear, simply an infinite curve.

Thats what I view them as and thats really all that is needed to describe them (minus the infinite part). Scientists only arrived at this infinite curve because it can bend light to much more of an extreme than any thing else.

Its like stuffing a lot of groceries into a bag. Under most circumstances, the set volume of the area (the bag) can contain a certain amount of matter until that volume must increase to account for the mass (the volume is not a tangible dimension, it is only relative to the material contained within it). A blackhole is when the set area should be exceeded but is not due to extreme conditions where everything is crunched together losing the unique borders of its material make-up but compounding its gravitational pull. I would suggest the idea that this is due to amped up em frequency of the material but alas I cannot prove such a thing being provided with only a toaster and a flashlight.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I cannot prove such a thing being provided with only a toaster and a flashlight.

I can if you just give me a paper clip, a rubber band, and a piece of chewed gum....

Oh yea, and a plastic straw.

LOL.......

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Its actually pretty hard to explain because I don't have a clear idea on it yet myself, but I've been thinking of the possibility of "massless" density. Something along the lines of the same energy spectrum occuring at different levels except having different density or "priority". Gravity is just a more or less "dense" magnetism or something along those lines. Basically another characteristic than just frequency and wavelength. Its on par with any other idea science has floating around right now.

Hopefully they observe some type of em "seap" from a collision at cern. Mostly likely to occur between an anti-particle reaction.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

That is what they are looking for to find Gravitons, a 'seap' into another dimension. As far as your theory, yea it seems possible, it sounds a lot like mine on multi-banned EM spectrum wave oscillations that manifest different dimensions and reality. Of course in my theory there must be a 'subspace' dimension as well the already widely believed Hyperspace 'super' dimension.

BTW: That last post was a Macgyver joke,lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Not a dimensional "seap", An em energy seap that occurs before the violent grand em discharge. Everything happens in the three spacial dimensions, the rest of it boils down to frequency, wavelength, and "force density" (haven't came up with a term I like yet). In this way, something isn't "below" or "above" our dimensions, it is just going along with everything else we have in 3d until a 3d source increases or decreases its effect.

Upon the anti collision, the outer layer of compressed em energy (matter/ material barrier) starts to unravel. Draw two equalish circles colliding into one another. Start erasing the one on the left at 3 o'clock going clockwise and the one on the right at 9 o'clock going clockwise (equal spin and mass, opposite charge). Some em should seap out (then again, maybe it won't) while the exterior from both runs along like a fuse. Upon both running out at the initial point of contact, all the em is then discharged because the compressed layer that that it was pushing up against, is no more.

There is much work to be done, but thats it in a simple not necessarily accurate portrayal of how I think everything works.

I'm aware it was a mcgyver joke, I almost went that way with the end of my post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join