It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humor on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
We have smilies for LOL and big grins, and yet every time I'm tempted to use one, I fear a moderator backlash unless I make sure I add some kind of "There is definitely more to this" type of comment to get a little coverage.

I confess that with some of our more "out there" theories, it's very difficult to resist the temptation to poke a little fun at some of the posts, but like I said, I'm never sure what the tolerance level is, so I work on the basis that it's near zero.

So is a little frivolity allowed on ATS, or are we all strictly business?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
So is a little frivolity allowed on ATS, or are we all strictly business?

I've put that to the test several times...came out on top sometimes and ate it big time on others...

I've still lost around 25k points since last year...and that's nothing to be high on, but rather an example of what 'Poppin Off' can do...make sure you understand the difference between a personal attack and a stern rebuttal.

And it is indeed hard to stomach some of the posts here, but the solution to that is in YOUR control - just don't visit if you find them to be asinine.

Don't forget, the MOD's are being subjective when deciding whether your post is acceptable or not. So take that in consideration when replying.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If you look at the text below the section where you post, when replying to a thread you can read the following:

Please avoid using "TXT Messaging Shorthand" for words when posting on AboveTopSecret.com and AbovePolitics.com, such as "4" for the word "for" or "u" for the word you. Common "Internet Slang" acronyms such as "LOL" and "ROFLMA" are acceptable, but should still be used sparingly.

That should help you.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Does humor have its place? Sure, but if its intended to mock the OP or otherwise denigrate a persons thesis, beliefs, or theories then it crosses the line.

As mods, before someone gets a warn etc, the staff will discuss the issue at hand prior to taking action (or not as the case may be)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Here's a similar thread where you'll find a lot of staff addressing this valid issue:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The answer to your question, as is indeed for most of life's questions:

Yes with an "if" and no with a "but" ...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
if its intended to mock the OP or otherwise denigrate a persons thesis, beliefs, or theories then it crosses the line.

So only humor that doesn't make fun of anyone or anything about them, including their opinions is allowed.

Bill Maher doesn't have to work under these conditions

(Uhoh - warning coming my way for mocking Fred's beliefs
)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
No humor on ATS. I'm rolling on the floor laughing my tiny hiney off.

I'm no mod and haven't been here long but we do have humor on ATS.

Just some of the thread titles make me chuckle sometimes .I know that not exactly what you mean.

Let me give you an example of good and bad humor. OK?

I will post 2 comments to your thread.

Humor? You idiot
of course we can have humor. What are you thinking? Or are you thinking at all? I guess with half a brain it's hard to think

Note to Mods: I did not mean any of the above statemant. It is for example only.

Second comment. I see your point but I believe you will be OK with the mods if you attack the post and not the poster. Yes, we can be humerous on ATS
Just be sure to be civilized and keep within the T&C and don't make verbal attacks on a poster.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Major is quite sure that if humor on ATS was necessary then you would have been issued the requisite amount when you enlisted as a member. If said humor, online, one each was issued then each member would be obligated to maintain said issuance, and the Major would then be required to inspect humor and ensure it was spotless. And what would the Major do if some member went Full Metal Jacket on the boards? The prospect of having to address anyone as Private Joker regarding the status of a recruit's humor would by virtue of the act be humorous. The Major will not stand for that.

Dismissed.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Humor? You idiot
of course we can have humor. What are you thinking? Or are you thinking at all? I guess with half a brain it's hard to think

That's not a nice way to voice an opinion. A humor may affect more than a half of the brain thus impairing the ability to reason and so on. You should be more sensitive to those who have developed a humor in their brain.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well almost every reply I have submitted, whether it be defending police from all the "innocent victims", or the people who live in the 16th century on here and think freemasons are evil and out to control the world.

There is no humor apparently. I was flamed for being a police officer and giving my opinion , and not even in anger, I was flamed for defending freemasons because..I am one and some people are ignorant to it.

I was given a rather funny scenario about police that police police in a thread on police tyranny and brutality..I found humor through explaining that the person I stopped gets mad because i gave them a ticket, but for me giving them impeding traffic rather than a full speeding charge, I get a ticket for that, so the person I stopped gets mad, and when I go to get back in my cruiser, Im handed a ticket, and so on and so on.

The guys reply was along the lines of , someone keeping cops in check is hilarious? God I hope you aren't really a cop..

so just be wary of what you say or you will have some D-bag make you regret even posting a reply on some stupid whiny topic.

and alot of the threads and posts on here are downright terarted and you need a strong stomach to tolerate some of the crap that comes from some of the members.

check out some of the carnage I've went through and Ive been a member for only a few days now

Have a nice day

[edit on 06/02/2009 by parisinflames]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

HI dizzydame:

arrrgh I lost my post !!!!!

[edit on 5-6-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by parisinflames

Hi parisinflames,

First let me say welcome to ATS.

I understand your frustration, being both a law enforcement officer and a mason can't be easy on this board.

Sure there are a few immature and uninformed members who test our patience at times, but there are also many excellent contributors who post with consideration, intelligence, appropriate humor and yes, even kindness.

ATS and forums in general are obviously different than real life interactions.

Whereas in RL we can pick and chose our friends and those whom we wish to confide in and share our thoughts, on ATS our expressions are for ALL to see and respond to.

Such is the nature of the thing.

If you are patient and hang around for a while you will find that the positive members far outnumber the nincompoops.

And if you feel that someone has crossed the line the moderators encourage all of us to contact them via the "alert" feature at the bottom of every post. They are always very helpful in that way as they strive more than most to keep civility and decorum for all our benefits.

Stick in there friend, there's a lot for everyone on ATS, I'd hate for you to lose faith so quickly just on account of a couple of knuckleheads.

[edit on 5 Jun 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Man! Thank you

Your the first friendly contact I have had thus far!

And your right it's not easy being LEO and Freemason,I was even flamed for giving my opinion on the war...that I just so happen to be a veteran of, so I felt I truly had a more knowledgeable outlook than internet tough guy who gets his info from the twisted media. I feel like an utter enemy lol

But anyways great to meet you, and with anything I do, I always hang in there and wait for the positive.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yeah i've noticed a lack of sense of humour from a couple of mods. Now, i try to post with less enthusiasm it seems to be working.
Like, i had this offhand joke, like, the kind of joke you chuckle at for a second then "get back to work", at which there were a couple of lol's, and i got docked points for it. I was like, shucks.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I think more along the lines of: Attack the post, not the poster.

There are ridiculous ideas out there and you just have to point out stupidity when it's found.

There's no need to say the poster is stupid, but the post that sure does miss the mark should be thoroughly shredded and destroyed like the vermin it is.

As far as humor goes, I use humor regularly here. Just remember to attack the post not the poster and even humor is widely accepted.

Some threads need a joke or two thrown in just to lighten the mood.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You can't argue with a guy who has a frog up his butt!
When my temper flares, I talk to schroedinger.
well i don't, but if it still did, i would lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

That's not a frog ... that's me!

And thank you.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

That's not you ...that's a lemur in a dog suit ... a stunt double.

To the crowd:

Being humorous at ATS,can be a two edged sword.
You may lose points, you may gain some points.
Never let your sense of humor detract from a well written post.

Remember if your not a stand up comic for a living...

If you happen to make someone laugh,don't let it go to your head and try to be a comedian all the time.

Sprinkle your humor sparingly,it will be better appreciated by the moderators.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by heyo

That's not a frog ... that's me!

And thank you.

lol

rofl

Those two posts combined just cracked me up...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
My experiences here suggest that humor is only midly tolerated and that most Conspiracy Theorists take things rather seriously. I've received the warns and point deductions to prove it. As someone else mentioned humor and the "modding" thereof is highly subjective.

One thing I can say for certain. Sarcasm IS NOT well received here.
(I was never breast fed as a child and hence developed biting (no pun) sarcasm as a defense mechanism.) If you are deemed too sarcastic, you will find your points missing faster than a Harry Potter book at Day Care.)

Bottom line: if you want to get off the bus at Sillyville, this ain't the right stop.

Regards......KK

[edit on 5-6-2009 by kinda kurious]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join