It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats agree to IMF money in U.S. war bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Democrats agree to IMF money in U.S. war bill

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have reached a deal to include President Barack Obama's request for more aid for the International Monetary Fund in a roughly $95 billion war bill, a congressional source said on Tuesday.

It also supports the IMF's plan to sell 400 tons (12.97 million ounces) of its gold reserves.

"Controversial, non-defense related issues -- such as billions in IMF funding -- should not be part of the final conference report,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Edit: So we are giving more money to the IMF in a war bill?

The Senate included provisions to extend $108 billion in credit lines to the IMF as it tries to help countries weather the global financial storm.

Here we are going down the tubes and we give and give and give. When will this stop? When they officially say "we are broke and have hocked the country. We don't know where the money went, sorry."

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2009 by timewalker]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So I guess we cannot even pay for our own frivolous wars, now we are getting a credit line from the IMF to fund them.

That's not that at all.

It's funding FOR the IMF, not FROM the IMF... So america is paying to set up a world government... How patriotic of Obama... NOT.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Typical political underhandedness. They include something in the war funding bill that has nothing to do with the war. Then if you vote it down because of the extra CRAP in it you don't support the troops!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yes, Sorry I edited the post. Read it wrong the first time. To not From. I am sure we will borrow it back anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wow we have to be the only broke people on Earth to hand out free money to the rest of the world. Can we get any dumber?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Oh I am sure we can. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Any five year old with a lemonade stand has a better business plan than our govt. Lemons aren't free you know.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

LOL, of course lemons are free if you pick them from your neighbors trees. Hasnt the government taught you anything?

Edit - Cant type because I am typing impaired. Is there stimulus money for that?

[edit on 6/2/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

I suppose they could just print more lemons from the Federal Lemon Reserve Bank.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I am sure Congress is cooking up a plan to do just that. God forbid we be responsible and eat our lemons wisely, and save some for a drought

[edit on 6/2/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am begining to wonder if this new borrowing from the IMF is an attempt at moving debt from the volitile hands of other nations to a "group" that will not call in the debt. The article below talks of dollar deleveraging and other nations looking for a new reserve currency. This could mean other nations are preparing to call in our debt.

Dollar Declines as Nations Mull Reserve Currency Alternatives

Flag these articles up. They are very important in determining our near to come future.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by LeaderOfProgress]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
S & F...

Thank you for watching the One World Government program. And now, a word from our sponsors...

...The American Taxpayer!! We here at the One World Government program would like to give a special thanks to the (reluctant as they may have been) already beaten and broken American Taxpayer. Without their forced support, this One World Government program you are watching on the World Stage would have never happened.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some additional information on the fight from the Republican side:

politico.com

With new requests from the White House Tuesday night, a wartime spending bill could soon exceed $100 billion, adding to the risks of an already tense fight in the House over the addition of new financing for the International Monetary Fund. Read more: "War funding fight gets complicated - David Rogers - POLITICO.com" - www.politico.com...&A

The administration appears more focused on just getting past the House, where Republicans have threatened to pull back their support for the war funds if the package includes IMF funding. The Senate approved the administration’s request as part of its debate on the war funding bill in May. But the issue has never been tested in the House, where Obama also faces unhappiness among Democrats over his decision to expand the U.S. military commitment to fighting Taliban forces in both Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan. Read more: "War funding fight gets complicated - David Rogers - POLITICO.com" - www.politico.com...&A

I emphasized the part I thought was important:

“Let’s be clear: A troop funding bill should fund our troops, period,” Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) said in his statement. “I will oppose this legislation if it is loaded up with billions in spending that is unrelated to our military’s core mission of protecting our nation and our interests. Additional funding for the IMF should be judged on its own merits and in its own legislation. Our men and women in uniform are doing tremendous work to protect our security in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they should not be forced to carry billions in unrelated spending.”

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

It is just amazing to me that they try to pass these things through under another bill. They should be able to do only one at a time. Then everything is in the forefront. I think if they do not pass it then the only thing to be reported on the MSM will be that they would not authorize the military spending. Not that they do not want to finance the IMF. Which at this point I think that the American public would be non accepting of. At least in thought, not action.

Lets just sneak this one in here, maybe no one will notice our plans to take over the world. Arghh, foiled again.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I know. So much for Obama's want for a line item veto. Just another empty promise that he knew was a blatant lie. Oh and what about the earmarks? Yup, he's broke that promise with this bill too.

Man! So many promises broken in just one piece of legislation.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Way to improve transparency!

top topics

join