It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama aims to repair U.S. image in Muslim world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Obama aims to repair U.S. image in Muslim world

edition.cnn.com

"My job is to communicate the fact that the United States has a stake in the well-being of the Muslim world, that the language we use has to be a language of respect," Obama said in a January interview with Al-Arabiya television network. "I have Muslim members of my family. I have lived in Muslim countries."

In a speech to the Turkish Parliament, Obama tried to make a clean break from the rhetoric of the Bush era.

"So let me say this as clearly as I can: The United States is not, and will never be, at war with Islam," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well I think he has
"lots of splaining to do!" Said in my best Rickie Ricardo voice.

He seems to be trying to make some changes in US policies and a break from the history of previous administrations. He stood up to Israel over the expansions. Now he his trying to play nice with the Muslim world. I tell you he has a lot of ground to cover and there are more than a few tweaked noses.

I cant help but believe TPTB are just trying to play
Good Cop / Bad Cop.

It goes on to say...

"There are misapprehensions about the West on the part of the Muslim world. And, obviously, there are some big misapprehensions about the Muslim world when it comes to those of us in the West," Obama said in a recent interview with the BBC. "And it is my firm belief that no one speech is going to solve every problem. There are no silver bullets. There are very real policy issues that have to be worked through that are difficult."

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It well be interesting to hear what he reads off the teleprompter in Cairo. Will the Muslim world buy his brand of overtures for a new benevolent United States? A new soft-handed foreign policy. Lets just wait and see how much honey he pours in the ears of his Muslim listeners. It will be an uphill struggle for he and his advisers playing both sides of the argument; giving just enough to Israel and the Palestinians without showing favoritism to either side.

To me, he'll be walking a tight rope. There is a very difficult road ahead of him. In my humble opinion, nothing will change and it will be business as usual in the hallow halls of the White House. Anyway any attempt to progress is better than nothing I suppose. Oh yeah, before I forget, do you think Iran will get a mention in his speech; and if so, lets try speculate what that response will be?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Okay, so what is Obama going to do when Israel realizes that we aren't going to go to bat for them and they bomb the crap out of Iran.

Then what is he going to do. He just keeps backing himself into a corner.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Instead of worrying about repairing our image abroad, he needs to get off his sorry ass and get to repairing the damage he's done to the US economy.

To hell with Muslim opinion. Fix our own ship first, and that way the Chinese STUDENTS won't be laughing at out Treasury Secretary when he starts spouting utter BS that any student of economics knows are lies.

The Chinese students know more than our own students. God, that's pitiful.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I know that was so embarrassing.
Who did he think he was speaking to?
Americans?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What's this about Chinese students? I missed that one.

I think Obama needs to not worry so much about our image abroad and start worrying about our image at home. Has anyone seen the "Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video?" The whole country's in that shape, and our beloved Kenyan is worried about what a bunch of Muslims half the world away think.

www.youtube.com... (Hey, it's funny.)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I agree with repairing the image at home first and that has taken a backseat to foreign policy lately, which is a crying shame. However, we need to engage these people whether from the microphone on the podium or the barrel of a gun. You catch my drift. We have to do business with these folks, even if they seem trivial. There are billions of Muslims around the world. They are certainly not a world minority group.

They have to be dealt with one way or another, and I would be all for peaceful relations; but that is wishful thinking. However it doesn't hurt to try though. The people he is engaging are some of the must stubborn and rigid people on the face of the earth, and so he has an uphill battle ahead of him. Lets just wait and see if he can pull it off.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I guess we better repair our image with the rest of the world as well.

We need Obama to hive an Hispanic speech, Asian speech, European speech. Scratch the last, he gave that one already. African speech and speeches to every other group that has been offended by the US and its policies.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Barry reminds me of Gorbachev...

Famous in the world out there while making his own state collapse...

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Hey I forget?
Did we ever apologize to the crown over the whole colonies issue?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The hardest part I have out of all of this is why does the US get such a bad rap for the torturing of Muslims while Muslims countries basically get a free pass for torturing their own.

Sure, we are the US and represent higher morals, should know better, etc.

But shouldn't all countries be held to the same standard when it comes to human rights?

Just curious.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah this is great. Lets go to a place thats a hot bed for human rights violations and apologize to the muslim world for being "bad guys", and ignore the fact that Isreal is having some hard stuff going on with extreme muslim groups right now and Iran. On top of that all the b.s. thats going on with N Korea, and Russia is commenting on how fascist the U.S is becoming and in record time.

Wow , he really has his priorities straight doesnt he?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

"There are no silver bullets"

No, there aren't... too expensive. Just copper and lead, and um..depleted uranium.

In a speech to appease the Muslims, is it really wise to use such a phrase?
I mean, they may look at getting plugged by anything other than silver as an insult greater than a tattoo of the supreme leader on the left palm.
On the other hand. copper and lead may be acceptable...start by pulling out of Iraq and the "other" place.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well lets all not kid ourselves it should read

"The United States has a stake in the Muslim worlds oil interests"
The US has tried a heavy hand and now we want to be your friends.

Politicians make me want to puke.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Obama through the ages........................

"I feel that General Washington and his followers are causing unnecessary strife and suffering for the people of America, our British rulers pose no threat to the freedom of the American people, and General Washington should come to understand that fact".

"Let me say to you now Mr.Hitler, that the United States never has been, and never will be at war with Naziism."

"President Obama today met with Emperor Hirohito and military chief General Tojo to sign a peace treaty with the Japanese empire".

"Ich bin nicht ein Berliner".

"We recognize the right of the Cuban people to self-determination, and I do not believe that the basing of nuclear weapons on their sovreign territory is a matter of concern for the United States."

"While the invasion of Kuwait is regrettable, we are urgently seeking talks with Sadam Hussein to ensure that the matter is resolved in a peaceful, non-confrontational manner".

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I'm paraphrasing here, but what was it that Xerxes said when he wanted the Spartans to submit?

All you have to do is bow to me.

Maybe once again Barack Hussein Obama will bow to the Muslims:

Obama Bows to Saudi King

He's basically already told the Iranians that its okay to move on with their Nuclear Program:

Go Ahead Mr. Dirtydinnerjacket

He's told Israel to stand down on plans to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities:

Don't Do That Until I Say So!

Hey, lets get some Muslims in the White House!

Now Hiring!

At least we can rest assured that Obama is really a native U.S. born citizen:

BornPatriot's Post Here on ATS

Nothing to see here.....

What better way to repair our image than with such platitudes?

Here Ya Go Xerxes!

[edit on 3-6-2009 by CreeWolf]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Obama Pick Harold Koh Favors Sharia Law Over Constitution

www.repubx.com...

Barack Hussein Obama: US "one of the largest Muslim countries in the world"
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots

blogs.abcnews.com... -that-neverwould-have.html

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

A lot of people are awake to what is going on. The Muslim World (and I'm speaking about the Nations of Islam) aren't going to try to take over with guns. It will be an inside job.

Great links Stormdancer!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Instead of worrying about repairing our image abroad, he needs to get off his sorry ass and get to repairing the damage he's done to the US economy.

To hell with Muslim opinion. Fix our own ship first, and that way the Chinese STUDENTS won't be laughing at out Treasury Secretary when he starts spouting utter BS that any student of economics knows are lies.

The Chinese students know more than our own students. God, that's pitiful.

Has there been ANYONE to defend Timothy Geithner on this one? Why YES there has:

LOL, He Said 'Asses'!

This person that posted this article must be an idiot. The failure of the United State's economy is a propaganda coup for the Chinese and you can damn well be assured of what these Chinese college students were laughing about!

[edit on 3-6-2009 by CreeWolf]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join