It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Language Gene Changes the Sound of Mouse Squeaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'm lovin it. "We will speak to the mouse."

"Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, have now genetically engineered a strain of mice whose FOXP2 gene has been swapped out for the human version. Svante Paabo, in whose laboratory the mouse was engineered, promised several years ago that when the project was completed, “We will speak to the mouse.” He did not promise that the mouse would say anything in reply, doubtless because a great many genes must have undergone evolutionary change to endow people with the faculty of language, and the new mouse was gaining only one of them. So it is perhaps surprising that possession of the human version of FOXP2 does in fact change the sounds that mice use to communicate with other mice, as well as other aspects of brain function."

More at source:

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Wow, that is interesting. To us science lovers anyways. Great find.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Is that really the sort of project scientists would want to develop?

Imagine trying to explain to a mouse why you kept him in a laboratory to experiment on him.

And how would a scientist feel if a mouse squoke up and objected to his treatment?

Fascinating conversation, but I imagine the scientist would be squirming a bit.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Just why exactly would scientists want to do this? This kind off pisses me off. What beneficial purpose would changing the sound a mouse makes, contribute to worthwhile causes? They want speaking pets but language is apart of being a sentient creature, so when your dog wants to eat dinner with you and be treated as an equal you've just opened a can of worms similar to the civil rights movement. I don't want this can of worms even made which is what they're doing, let alone have to deal with a dog or cat mingling with humans at a club or driving down the road.

I don't consider myself 'speciesist', I just don't get excited at the notion of an even more violent and pissed of A.L.F. not only destroying hospitals and laboratories, but along with pet shelters and homes liking the pet/human relationship as it is now, all for the idea of equal rights those animals will surely want.

I shudder to think of the potential violence and brutality this situation would cause.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Lab mice will inherit the earth after we are gone. Infused with all we have given them. Wait a tick... maybe thats how we came about eh? Makes one wonder. "Lets give this monkey our voice..." "Better yet, lets create them in our image!"

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Um, guys...this doesn't confer language or cognitive understanding to animals.

It's just a single gene they tinkered with to try to get a better understanding of that gene.

The mouse doesn't understand anything we say to it...nor can it speak back to us. It is, after all, a mouse...not a man.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pointtech86

I think pets will say things like "I like you!" "your funny" "i'm hungry!" "Let's play!" "I want to go out" "I'll protect you!" "here's a gift!" "please stop that's scary!!!"

More than " As a being of this planet just like you, I order you to give me the very same rights you humans enjoy! if you humans do not comply, there shall be a war! You WILL regret!"

[edit on 31-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Somewhere in the not-so-distant future...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/654d8c4600bd.jpg[/atsimg]

[rant] Are we ready to fathom the array of possibilities that genetic enginerring opens up for us? I fear it will lead to a whole new level of classism. Do you think the average Joe's like us, will ever have access to future biological enhancments, that say, extend your life, or make you super young again? Granted, there will be benefits, but who do you think will control this? Who's going to package and market it to you? TPTB, The Elite, The NWO, whoever you wana call 'em, that's who. [/rant]

top topics

join