It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everglades swamped with invading pythons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This has been going on for ages. Exotic pets are awesome to have, but things happen. You can't take care of them, so you let them go. They sneak out of the house. Anything like that.

Invasive species are awful. Florida also has issues with invading frogs, trees, shrubs, insects, you name it. We have the same issues here.

Everyone got so mad when bills were being suggested to ban some of these exotic pets, or require permits, or even COURSES to make sure people understood how to care for them properly to protect the environment.

But when an invasive python eats your dog, you feel differently, huh?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Sonya,
It was headed to NYC to a distributor that would have shipped them to all points in the US. I should have made that clear. I'm sure that they would have ended up in the temperate zones eventualy, if they haven't already from shipments that didn't get caught!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Don't take a nap in the jungle when in Anaconda country !!!

Snake Eats Man

Zindo

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I live in Florida, and I have to say I kinda like the idea of having pythons living wild in the swamps. I used to have a few large constrictors, a boa and a couple pythons. They're actually pretty boring as far as pets go, but they have a nice shock factor when you take them out in public. When they got to big for one fella to easily manage, I donated them to a reptile farm, who were quite happy to get them.

I recently read an article in the New Yorker dealing with the same subject. From what it said a lot of the snakes that got into the wild were released due to hurricane damage. The article mentioned a breeder who had most of their stock of new baby pythons, which were kept in little paper cups (awww...how cute!) blown away cups and all during a hurricane. Just so they're not all chalked up to "ignorant snake owners" just letting them go free...

As far as invasive species in general being spread, they don't need our help. Various species of animal and plant life have always been spread around the globe in various ways. It's part of the balance of nature, and the strong survive at the expense of the lesser "prey" type species. That's how it's always worked. For some reason, we seem to think that everything should remain in stasis, just the way it is, in perpetuity.

This will never, ever happen. Nature is constantly changing, because when change stops, everything stagnates and dies. Just because we like things the way they are currently doesn't mean the natural process will stop. This is as true for "invasive" species dominating the local flora and fauna as it is for as it is for anything else. Like the people who, just because they built on the beach expect the process of shore erosion to stop, and beg for government money when it doesn't and their house gets washed away.

It won't take to long for any species "threatened" by the influx of pythons to figure out that they're there and how to best avoid them.

edit:typo

[edit on 1-6-2009 by subject x]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

You're very wrong, in my opinion.

Without humans, many species would be doing fine in other continents. We have greatly changed the spread of many different organisms.

Some animals cannot avoid invasive species. It's not that simple. Look at the bees, frogs, etc. The bees are taking food and territory from the native bees. The frogs are eating the native frogs.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
They need to impose stricter laws in regards to exotic pets. Too many people buy them on a whim because they're unique and then don't have a clue as to how to take care of them. Then you end up with animals suffering due to improper care, or being set loose into an unnatural enviroment, many times damaging that habitat.

Years ago my son had a red tailed Colombian Boa constrictor, as she grew bigger we made her a custom built cage 6x6x4 and made sure we placed locks on the door, after she reached 5ft she was never taken out of the cage unless there were two of us to handle her. Snakes, especially large constrictors are a big responsibility and require a lot of care, something that most people are unaware of.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

In a situation like that you may want to notify the approriate authorities before her child ends up dead, or the new baby when she has it. No one wants to report a friend, but shouldn't someone place the well being of her child first ?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
The child had been left alone with the snake, which had wrapped itself around her neck and was tightening.

The snake is still there, in an open aquarium tank it can climb out of.

This story sounds a little suspicous to say the least. If the snake COULD climb out of the open topped terrarium it surely would have ages ago. Unless the rest of the house was FREEZING and the terrarnium was the only part that had good temp control (not likely if this woman is as stupid as you say) there would be no reason for the snake to stay in it.

I would be far more concerned about the husbandary and heatlh of this baby snake if the woman is as dense as you say. They are fragile and if the temps and food are not correct they will not survive.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

They even dump elderly/sick/ blind horses in the everglades to die or being eaten. Yup its cheaper than disposing of the body, just toss the poor helpless (even blind) animal into the swamps and drive away.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Sonya610]

Ive seen bags of puppies tossed into lakes and rivers by farmers because it is cheaper. Dispossing of animals in these ways are really only offensive to westerners who grew up loving animals and being brainwashed into thinking we are equal with them.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by OKCBtard]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
Ive seen bags of puppies tossed into lakes and rivers by farmers because it is cheaper. Dispossing of animals in these ways are really only offensive to westerners who grew up loving animals and being brainwashed into thinking we are equal with them.

Very true. All brainwashing. Lots of places in the world cull live babies at birth because it is the wrong gender. Or bury kids alive if they are suspected witches. In some countries like Africa you can buy human slaves for $50, in India the kids go for as little as $12.

That bothers some Westerners too, wonder if it bothers the people in your country? Probably not. Just cultural differences I guess. And no, if you laugh at torturing puppies you are in NO WAY equal to my animals, don't flatter yourself.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Very true. All brainwashing. Lots of places in the world cull live babies at birth because it is the wrong gender. Or bury kids alive if they are suspected witches. In some countries like Africa you can buy human slaves for $50, in India the kids go for as little as $12.

Wow. Way to compare the murder of humans and slavery to killing animals. I really hope you are a vegetarian! Now perhaps you would like to go back to your disney movies with talking animals and other traits that slowly makes you believe humans and animals are on par.

And just for the record I love my two golden puppies that I have and couldnt care less aboput how you rate me next to your animals, it only reflects poorly on you.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtardWow. Way to compare the murder of humans and slavery to killing animals. I really hope you are a vegetarian! Now perhaps you would like to go back to your disney movies with talking animals and other traits that slowly makes you associate your average animal with a human.

You declined to state where you are????? You make judgements on "westerners" so where do you hail from?

I am proud of my Western culture, therefore I don"t hide my location. You are obviously NOT from the west, and you hide your culture? Why is that? Ashamed?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtardWow. Way to compare the murder of humans and slavery to killing animals. I really hope you are a vegetarian! Now perhaps you would like to go back to your disney movies with talking animals and other traits that slowly makes you associate your average animal with a human.

You declined to state where you are????? You make judgements on "westerns" so where do you hail from? Or are you ashamed to say?

My country of origin is irrelevant. Why would I be ashamed of where I am from? Say I'm from Somalia, what do you think about that?

Besides, wouldn't it be quite the twist if OKC stood for Oklahoma City?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

My country of origin is irrelevant. Why would I be ashamed of where I am from? Say I'm from Somalia, what do you think about that?

LOL obviously you ARE ashamed. You dare bash my Western culture and you are too ashamed to state what YOUR culture is? How very predictable and weak. But hey to make up for your shame you can always go torture some small animals to make yourself (and your people) feel superior.

I am done discussing anything with you.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

LOL obviously you ARE ashamed. You dare bash my Western culture and you are too ashamed to state what YOUR culture is? How very predictable and weak. But hey to make up for your shame you can always go torture some small animals to make yourself (and your people) feel superior.

I am done discussing anything with you.

I do not condone the torture of any animal and am infact partially responsible for the tracking down of kenny the cat strangler, here in OKLAHOMA.(encyclopediadramatica.com...) Yes, there definatly is a problem with the modern western mentality that most americans sport today. This whole looking down on other countries because of their practices and rituals is horrible. This superiority complex is the cancer killing America. And yes, my people are the American people, for this I am not ashamed!

And As far as your last part about not discussing anything with me....

Your loss!

Also a major intelligence failure on your behalf for not recognizing the OKC

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well now that my opinion on the matter (and Sonyas) are out in the open, perhaps we could get some more people with their thoughts on the issue. But dont forget about the pythons

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Pythons have been in the everglades since the late 1960s.

The first ones to get loose were freed be a hurricane in the late 1960s and have been increasing in number ever since.

The myth that all the pythons are released when the owners no longer want them is just that a myth.

Pythons are master escape artists and can hide for long periods once they do escape

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This whole thing kinda reminded me of the Alligator vs Python photo

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Wow, I personally wouldn't want either animal living near me!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Apparently this is getting to be a real problem as I just saw a blurb on the MSN and now there is a bounty on Pythons dead or alive in Florida except in the National parks where no wildlife of anykind can be disturbed.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
[color=limegreen]The goverment will be releasing Mongoose to clear up the snakes.

[color=limegreen]and when they get out of hand.

Big gorillas will be released to mush them to bits. with sticks.

And come winter the Gorrilas will go to sleep..forever.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by MR BOB]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join