It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Symbols - The Swastika

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We are all painfully aware of the negative Nazi association with this symbol, BUT, we should not forget that this symbol is ancient, it did not start with the Nazi’s and it would be a shame to let it end there, when potentially, analysis could provide a startling insight into human history.

I have put some information together in the following link

LINK TO ARTICLE

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

NIce article, learned some new things there. I will say though, the Windows picture has been edited, but I'm sure you knew that.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I believe the swastika might be making a comeback. Has there been enough healing since the 1940's? I recently figured out the swastika has a mysterious connection to the UFO sightings around the world.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

I lived in India for 6 years, the Swastika is very common there, although I think I recall it faced the other way (or the arms did).

You see it in temples, on walls, on trucks, I think it meant peace or prosperity.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments -

I would be interested to know if anyone has any information as to how or why historians believe this symbol equates to the sun !

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

The Hindu sun god is called Surya and his symbol is the swastika.

Surya

Its use as a sun symbol can first be seen in its representation of the god Surya

Hindu swastika

CX

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.

I found it particularly interesting as recently in a nearby village to me, some idiots have daubed swastikas on a few war graves.

The news of this appeared in our local paper, and i rang the police to tell them that me and my kids had seen the graffiti a week before they originaly thought it had been done.

I also told the police that i remember it distinctly as i pointed out to my girls that the brain dead scum that did this, had drawn the swastikas the wrong way round.

You could see what the intention had been, but i did smile wondering if the culprits knew they'd actualy drawn something that was amongst other things, a peacefull symbol?

That said, i did a fair bit of research on the net about swastikas, and i'm still confused as to whats the right way around? Some say anti-clockwise, others clockwize.

CX.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have a few tattoos. Some depicting images or texts of the ancients. I thought about getting the swastika for the peaceful meaning of it. But the mass ignorance of todays society, in addition to the now negative connotation it has almost world-wide, especially here in the states, drove me away from it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm German and i have ancestry that was in Hitler's army.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why did Hitler adopt this symbol, and what did it mean to him?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
In Japan it is called a "manji' & was seen as "the wheel of life" & sometimes even compared to mean much the same as the ÿing-yang" symbol.

mr. wildflowers
Why did Hitler adopt this symbol, and what did it mean to him?

Not 100% sure, but at a guess it would be Hitler's deep interest in things to do with the occult & anything esoteric. (This is actually fairly well documented)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
As far as I know, the is a symbol called the Black sun, and there is one called the White sun. According to a few books, The swastika is also some sort of version of the White sun or so, where as there also was an Elite, Occultist-group of Nazi leaders, who called themselves "Die Schwarze Sonne". (aka The Black Sun). The leader of this group was noone but Heinrich Himmler himself. On the top of the Castle Wewelsburg was the chamber this group would meet in called "the Obergruppenfühergrotte". This room had a humungeous Black Sun Symbol all over one of their walls.

[edit on 9/6/2009 by Pakd-on-mystery]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Swastika is any Ancient Indo-European Symbol, propagated to where ever they have spread.

Hitler was a Freak on the Aryan Super Race and considered it approporate to use the Swastika which is a Aryan Symbol, but grossly distorted it.

The symbol has an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from Indo-European cultures such as the Indo-Aryans, Persians, Hittites, Slavs, Celts and Greeks, among others. The earliest consistent use of swastika motifs in the archaeological record date to the Neolithic. The symbol was found on a number of shards in the Khuzestan province of Iran and as part of the "Vinca script" of Neolithic Europe of the 5th millennium BC. In the Early Bronze Age, it appears on pottery found in Sintashta, Russia. Early Indian swastika symbols were found at Lothal and Harappa, on Indus Valley seals.[11]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I have always tried to remove the Nazi stigma from the swastika. Sometime during childhood I came across information very similar to your article there. Brought it up with the teacher and the teacher put me in time out...

Now that I think back on it, I never liked that teacher much.

What I am trying to say is that it is a symbol of prosperity. Just imagine if they, The Nazis, has used a peace symbol or the yin/yang symbol....

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Wikipedia has a great article on the nazi use of this symbol. Hitler borrowed it from sources who were already using it before his nazi party. It even mentions the use of it by the Thule Society.
Regarding its history though it is still in use in hindu and buddhist places. I know i remember seeing it on a picture of someones house in tibet and as well in a picture of a bus from the same region. I had wondered about the use of it so i had looked it up and thats when i learned about its ancient meaning as a symbol of peace and prosperity. It is still widely used today except in western society where the stigma of nazi germany is still around. No i do not think there has been enough time passed to heal this wound.

new topics

top topics

join