It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comedy: Whats happend??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hello, this may seem like a complaint thread nut however it is very true, WHATS HAPPEND TO COMEDY?!?!?!

I myself am a comdeic writer, and comedy has been abscent for the past few years, the only TRUE topical comedy i see now is South Park and Family Guy. But even though i wasnt around in the 70's, there was plenty around. Such as Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Not The Nine O'clock News, The Young Ones. The the 80's with Spitting Image, The Ambasader (i think the name was, however it has Rick Myal In), Bottom, Then the 90's With Harry Endfield, The Fast show, And since then its been very low grade comedy, from Bo S'electa and Little brittan, As well as The Leage Of Gentelmen. The only topical thing we have had since then in South Park ( by the by i am a HUGE fan of) but what has happend to comedy?!?!

Theere is so much now that could be used within comedic programs that is not being used, is there a reason behind this??

It seems that before South Park, anything goes, but now its extreamily strict.

For all the comic writters this is a pain in the ass, but does anyone have an idea why this is so??

edit for many spell errors

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Trolloks]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Hi Trolloks,

You know what is comedy now?

24 hour News, 30 minute shows that poke fun at 24 hour News, and 1 hour long shows that make fun of both broadcasts.

Why is the News so funny?

because TPTB are all laughing at us. all day, and we get to talk about what they're doing.

this is so not fair

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Exactly! The only thing comic writers have left to write about is the news, because if we write about anything different its deamed as "Offencive", im sick to death with it! However, the most succesful comedic writers write things outside that area, im just asking how the hell they manage to do that and get hired for it. Its my aim in life and ive been trying for years, but i just cant break the seal and i need help. (Also my spelling is atroustious,lol)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think true comedy died with George Carlin. Nowdays, the world is just too screwed up to be very funny, except in a sad ironic way.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

ok.
You know the punch line to this one?

What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
edit for many spell errors

For a writer that is funny
Little tip, firefox has a spell checker addon.

I don't know what you mean really, I've seen plenty of subjects where people are literally pushing false starts just to get the funny stuff out that - the old classic 'what?? Too soon?'.

You got to remember there is only so much comedy in the world, very rearly something new comes up... Only new subject material and creative uses for it. And with more and more people putting any old crap out there the good stuff just gets diluted - go find it!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
LOL!!! When I read the title a 1950's style gangsta voice said in my head:

"What happened to comedy!? I'll tell you what happened, it died out with the 70's Betsy. Who's Betsy YOU TELL ME SALLY!!"

But seriously, even Family Guy is sucking now OP. My friend who is a comedian has some OK jokes, most people are like OMFG HOW FUNNY IS THIS GUY!??? I'm like ummmmmm not very....

We need some original comedy, nobody is funny anymore. Dane Cook is too over rated "Hey you guys wanna know what's crazy!? So i'm walking through my kitchen and my spoons like BENDYPOPS!!!! an i'm like WTF SPOON!? An the forks like YOU TELL HIM SPOONY so the knives are like HEY DANE WANNA USE US!?" I don't understand Dane Cook style of comedy. Roy Chubby Brown from over this side of the pond, he is sort of funny, but it's the same jokes. Rob Brydon is pretty funny. I'll tell you one to look up OP Michael McIntyre, now he is really funny.

RendleBerry Signing out

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I don't have the answer, but you reminded me of how much I miss Chris Farley...his sketches on SNL were priceless!! I especially loved the one in which he and Patrick Swayze were trying out for the Chippendales!!! He was one of a kind!!!!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
TROLLOCKS, ..... u should watch adult swim on cartoon networks, .... shows like AQUA TEEN, SQUIDBILLIES, DELOCATED,ROBOT CHICKEN, will hit you in the right spot, .... get back to me with some feedback k

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
almost forgot Trollocks, .... check out Kenny vs Spenny you can watch them on youtube for free, but not every episode. .... great stuff, start with something easy like ......first one to talk loses, ... god, theres so many...... other than that, human giant was funny. saturday night live is ... so so. bleh. but if u want some laughs give KvsS a couple shots, if u dont like one episode, try another, ...... ill be waiting for your thank you

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
almost forgot Trollocks, .... check out Kenny vs Spenny you can watch them on youtube for free, but not every episode. .... great stuff, start with something easy like ......first one to talk loses, ... god, theres so many...... other than that, human giant was funny. saturday night live is ... so so. bleh. but if u want some laughs give KvsS a couple shots, if u dont like one episode, try another, ...... ill be waiting for your thank you

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I grew up with all those programs, and watched The Young Ones religiously. They still exist - Black Books is probably the best I've been for a while.

The media reflects the mood of the people. Look what get put of tv now - cop shows, 'reality tv', more cop shows, war shows, gritty drama, brain dead comedy, yet more cop shows and Family Guy / American Dad.

I think the golden years of UK comedy (1980 - 1995 ish) were brilliant, but trying to recreate the feeling of the time now is pointless (ever seen the latest Black Adder special where Black Adder goes time traveling? It's quite bad)

During there 80's so many brilliant comedians were maturing. Rowan Atkinson, Smith and Jones, Fry and Laurie, French and Saunders, Lenny Henry, All of the Young Ones.

The only comedians that stands out nowdays are Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Steve Coogan and Harry Enfield.

Sad really - they were likely the best comedians we will see for a long time.

And House should really lose that annoying accent and reunite with Stephen Fry. You're not a Doctor, you're a Comedian.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There are some good comedians out there but they are more on the adult side of things. Louie C.K. is brilliantly funny. His Lucky Louie show should have went a lot further than it did. It was a little bit of seinfeld and a little everybody loves raymond mixed with some penthouse magazine.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
As for material, it's pretty much all been done. All that is left are rants, attacks and sex.

A new genre of comedy is the only way to go. That's up to you to create.
I know, it's tough but you also have to stay hungry. Jim Norton, another x rated comedian said it well that "you have to have NO SAFETY NET whatsoever."
Otherwise you will fall into it and the dream dies. Sink or swim, no floaties!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

"The god damned dishes if she knows what's good for her..."

no wait

"Batman can go into a store without Robin..."

that's not right.

"They own it"

"Throw them a basketball"

"The defendant"

Anyway...

You really need to look for good comedy because most of it dies early.

This show is called Lucky Louie and really was perhaps the best sitcom to come alone since All in the Family

Here's some more of that one...

www.dailymotion.com...

This is another great clip. I'm not embedding this. Also this clip will link to a bunch of other ones

www.youtube.com...

Aside from Lucky Louie, we have Arrested Development

www.hulu.com...
This is the pilot episode, which was also the first episode. It helps to watch these in order, though it isn't required to enjoy it.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

and Futurama. Beware though, Futurama can be hit or miss, and I can't find a regular clip.

Edit for Stand Up

Oh, and if you want to talk Stand Up...

Jim Norton, Louis CK, Bill Burr, Patrice O'neal...

Jim Jeffries, Rich Vos, Brian Regan...

Lewis Black, Bob Kelly, Nick Dipaolo...

[edit on 5/29/2009 by Sunsetspawn]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think it all comes down to personal taste. Some people loved Will and Grace, while other people despise it. Some folks can't go a day without Adult swim, and others feel it's the devil's work. Two and a half men vs. My Family. And we can go on and on like that.

TV people have tried to cater for everyone for years now. For example your 70s list doesn't include Three's company. Your 80s list excluded the Golden Girls and Who's the boss? So you see over the years there have been shows you've liked and shows you dislike. Not everything is going to be funny to you. From the sound of it you prefer satire and/or poking fun with the holy cows? And I suppose you hate slapstick?

It's all about taste. If you look at the "this type of comedy vs. that kind of comedy" over the years, they've always been around. So I don't think comedy changed. There simply isn't a TV show that cater for your taste at this exact moment... There are still loads of stand up comedians that will have something for your taste...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'd highly recommend The Venture Brothers if you enjoy animation-

It's not nearly as cool as the BBC - but when you're in America and can't afford the kick ass cable packages, you have to take what you can get.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
You want comedy? Go to Hulu and check out the Saturday Night Live shorts. It's love.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

the punchline is nothing shes already been told twice
not that funny though
3rd line

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Its hard to have real comedy when political correctness unleashes the thought-police on anyone who offends the collective imbeciles.

Play it safe, stick to potty humor and slap-stick and you'll have a surefire success!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join