It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justices to decide if vets can be honored with cross

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Nazis used their form of the cross as a symbol. They created the Swastika by inverting the Indian version which meant peace. There are Hindis and Tibetans claiming mountains to be theirs and no one can step on or take pictures of those mountains. These are examples of how pathetic people can get.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I am a card carrying member of the ACLU and I think they do good work even if I don't always agree with them on every issue.

For them the question would be whether this memorial is being put up in a public park or not and if it is then it should be religion neutral and the cross is one of the symbols of Christianity.

The implication is that in allowing the cross in a public park that the state is supporting one religion over another... the argument would be the same if they erected a star of David or a Menorah or a Crescent moon... and I am quite sure that there would be someone to protest over that as well so better to ban all religious symbols.

If it is put up on private land there is no issue.

There are plenty of other ways to honor veterans and/or the war dead... Here in Roanoke the city put up three 10 foot tall white marble slabs with the names of the dead on it.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If the soldier who dies was Christian it is there constitutional right to freedom of religion to be buried with a cross as a grave marker. If they were Pagan or Muslim or Hindu or Jewish they could have the religious symbol of their religion placed as a head stone.

I say the ones who decided to sue for this need to be counter sued for civil rights violations.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Being of a different religion than Christianity, I can say that the crosses don't offend me. Why would they? If the veterans were Christian it would be right to use their religious symbol, yeah?

-Will

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Didn't Abraham Lincoln say
"You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"or words to that effect.

We all live in a multi cultural and religious societies, people have to learn to get on with one another and accept there will be things in our society that we don't approve of or like, and celebrate our differences.

Evylen Hall who is best known for her biography of Volitaire, she wrote the the phrase which is often misattributed to Volitaire.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to death your right to say it" as an illustration of Volitaires beliefs. This is true democracy.
In the broad picture of things what harm does this cross cause it has been there for for 75 years, without causing a revolution.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by dizzylizzy]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno
"If the soldier who dies was Christian it is there constitutional right to freedom of religion to be buried with a cross as a grave marker. If they were Pagan or Muslim or Hindu or Jewish they could have the religious symbol of their religion placed as a head stone."

This is NOT about grave markers. Read the post. This is about a memorial dedicated to all the members of the military service. And like it or not there are many members of the armed forces who do not worship false gods or subscribe to phony religions and don't want a religious symbol put up to honour their services. Again this is not about individual grave markers. If a soldier wants to put a cross over his grave he is allowed to do so and the ACLU doesn't give a crap.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am a card carrying member of the ACLU and I think they do good work even if I don't always agree with them on every issue.

For them the question would be whether this memorial is being put up in a public park or not and if it is then it should be religion neutral and the cross is one of the symbols of Christianity.

The ACLU of which you are so proudly a member uses the Constitution only insofar as it aligns with their own agenda. They have just 2 "biggies" - anything perceived as anti-black or anti-hispanic, and anything seen as pro-christian, and that's it really.

While you will find a hundred of their briefs on First Amendment rights, try finding me one on the Second Amendment.

Where were they on the Heller case, where were they when the citizens of New Orleans were having their legally owned weapons taken by force during Katrina - you never heard so much as a squeak from them on Second Amendment breaches. But as soon as the allegations of racial profiling came up during that same disaster, you couldn't move for ACLU briefs and court cases.

On the other hand, where is their support of the white firefighters who have been denied promotion because no minority applicants passed the same promotion exam - sorry, wrong color.

Enough of their first biggie, now for their second, a hatred of Christianity.

When Pennsylvania schools were forced to include a statement in Biology classes about creationism, there was the ACLU filing suit to stop it.

And now, here we have a Christian nation (yup, sorry, you may not like it but we are) daring to erect a cross for Veteran's day, and there they are again claiming religious bias.

They know full well that rather than include a star of david and the sign of Islam, and something for every other religion out there, the organizers will have to opt for no religious imagery, and that's exactly what they want.

The ACLU used to stand for something good, these days they are something dirty and un-american.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Retseh]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy910130
... Hey! Let's try something: Instead of the cross being a religiously-based symbol, let's try making it a symbol of love and respect!!!

You're wanting a symbol of love and respect,
and you're suggesting we adopt a device of humiliation, torture and death for it?

Perhaps, as the cross is already taken, you might like to use something more restful, like the rack, something moving, like the breaking wheel, or something with a heart-touching embrace, like the iron maiden.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The cross is so much more then a symbol of Christ.

It is a symbol of the soldiers who died, a physical testament to their tears, their lives, their dedication to the United States of America.

On the same token, if a soldier dies and requests his Cross be replaced by an Egyptian Ankh because he worships Amun-Ra, then by all means. His sacrifice earned whatever symbol he wishes to have placed in the event of his death.

As pointed out earlier, Freedom OF Religion, not Freedom From Religion.

-ST

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join